1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pops Mensah-Bonsu to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaronMalakian, Jan 5, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I watched that game as well as some Toros ones, he moves much better than Landry and has the same aggression and hops.

DD

2. Shay

Shay Member

But Landry can shoot and he can't , and Landry can finish better around the basket when he is not in position to dunk it.

Landry is also a smarter basketball player , Pops is a better defender though.

I would have liked us to sign him too but it's not something I would lose sleep over.

3. opticon

opticon Member

Landry has a much more polished offensive game. However pops seems to have good defensive instincts, that is very hard if not impossible to teach. He is only on a 10 game contract so that means he is up for grabs as soon as that contract is over.

I hope morey tries to contact his agent I think we have more cap space then the spurs so we might be able to give him a better offer.

The only reason Im even thinking about this is because of Carl's injury. I have a feeling it maybe worse then the team is letting on. I hope I am wrong though.

4. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

hell of an athlete - too bad he's going to be dunking on our 6'8" "stiffs"

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Damn, nice highlights although he doesn't look like the greatest athlete in the world but I'd take him over Cook / Head any day. Too bad the Rockets never got rid of Head to make room for a guy like him and with the Rafer trade they had to get somebody to make it work.

That's the only thing that still worries me: our size and athleticism. When Yao goes out we're extremely small and if we want to beat the Jazz, Lakers or Spurs in a 7 game series we need somebody at the #4 spot to body up with Boozer, Odom, Gasol, Duncan etc.

It seems like the Rockets do not really seem to be fond of tall and athletic guys, something they've gotten rid of since JVG who is definetly partly responsible. Under him we got Weatherspoon, Padgett, Nachbar, Oakley (cannot forgive him for bringing in an a-hole like that to Houston) Juwan, Bowen, Baker (over the hill) Hayes, Baxter, Lampe, Novak and some others.
    All small guys for Forwards and could only defend or shoot, sometimes neither :)

It's time the Rockets recognize we need long and athletic bodies out there like Horry, Thorpe and Buck Johnson. Mensah-Bonsu is a good player and maybe next year we can get a guy like him because I don't really care if a PF can shoot the three or not, he just has to be able to post-up, dunk and block. I do not really like the PFs that can only and are there to shoot threes like Cook, Novak, Padgett etc. We already have enough players who can shoot the three.

6. worzel gummidge

Pops is 6-8. Rockets don't need him they have Landry.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We need a backup center, not another 6'8" PF. Landry can do all of that stuff already, and against more impressive frontcourts than Darnell Jackson and Wally Szcerbiak. Our PF rotation is settled.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, when I wanted him I thought we might be trading Landry, and for a 10 day contract why not have a free look?

I think he sticks with the Spurs though, they need a Milsap, Landry, Maxiel style of player.

DD

9. Shay

Shay Member

Yeah I think he sticks with the Spurs too , he is definately a NBA player.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this can be put to rest now

the raptors signed him for the rest of the season

link