1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poor People] Mayor Turner Tells Housing Authority to Find a Spot Other Than the Galleria Area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How Donald Trump of him. I wonder what the "other concerns" were.

[rquoter]Mayor asks Housing Authority to seek alternative to mixed-income project near Tanglewood, Galleria

Responding to fierce neighborhood and political pushback, Mayor Sylvester Turner said Monday night that the Houston Housing Authority's plan to build a mixed-income complex in a neighborhood between Tanglewood and the Galleria would not be brought for consideration by City Council.

The proposed project at 2640 Fountain View by the housing authority would be its first project in a so-called high opportunity neighborhood, which means it has access to highly rated schools, transit option and a plethora of amenities. In a statement released Monday night, Turner cited costs and "other concerns" and asked the authority to proposed another site in District G.

The project has been opposed by many nearby residents.

To receive federal funding through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program, the authority requested a resolution of no objection from City Council. Without this credit, the housing authority would have to pay $14 million more than planned.

The project was criticized by the neighborhood and its leaders for its pricetag for 233 units that would serve a mix of incomes.

In his statement, Turner noted that the price per unit was approximately $240,000, which included a $6 million developer's fee to the authority.

"After careful review of the costs and other concerns, I am asking HHA to look for an alternative location for this project that is still in City Council District G in what we refer to as a high-opportunity area with access to good public services, quality schools, and thriving businesses," Turner said in a statement. "... I look forward to working with HHA to accomplish the important mission of providing for fair housing and quality affordable homes in safe neighborhoods near great schools throughout all of Houston."[/rquoter]

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Galleria area has gone to hell in last 5 years. Every day you hear about robberies and shootings and I'm talking about incidents close to the mall.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Rich people generally don't like to mingle with the poor when it comes to where they live.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've lived in the galleria are my whole life, I don't see how it's gone to hell, I don't hear about robberies or shootings, It's pretty damn safe to walk around. Overall this is Houston, you have some ghetto area's in Briar Meadow, Sharpstown, Gulfton and Spring branch which are all surrounding the Uptown/Galleria and Tanglewood area. In such a densely populated area there will be crime.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ask the Southern, conservative voters who probably voiced them in the first place. There are enough of them to elect county judges, so a competent mayor is going accommodate or at least field the complaints, which is exactly what's going on here. Housing projects don't always have the best outcomes generations out, but you can't force every apartment complex to take on Section 8 or build Habitat for Humanity in every subdivision.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Well, first off - residents in Houston are "Southern" by default due to their residence in the "South". Second, there are more neighborhoods and residential areas than Tanglewood - which most definitely is conservative. Also keep in mind that there are many businesses in the Galleria area which rely on tourism from across the US and the Americas.