1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pool Builders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BenignDMD, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Anyone have a positive recommendation for a pool builder in Houston?

Any pearls from posters who have had a pool built in the past? Thanks

2. Buck Turgidson

One of my buddies from up here is doing a job on Friar Tuck (EorW I have no idea)

I can get you his # if you want.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I've gone through the bidding process for two different houses..........about 7-8 years apart. I'm talking like months of back and forth with several builders. Both times we ended up backing out and saying screw it. You have to REALLY want a pool to go through that pain. My biggest pearl is that prices have gone WAY up. Either that, or our latest try included a "Memorial Premium" (although we live WAY out in west memorial...........like a quarter mile past the beltway).

The first go round, we had bids between the low 30's and the high 70's..........for what I thought was the same basic pool. Granted, I didn't have a good feeling about the low 30's guy.....or the high 70's one. The guy that seemed the most honest was around 50.

This most recent time, we were up into the 130's. I'm sure that might seem unobtainable to some here, and chump change to others. For me, it just seemed untenable for what seemed like a small pool (granted, there was an outdoor kitchen and a bathroom addition, but STILL.....the pool itself was around 80k, and it was MUCH smaller than the one we were considering when we lived in the burbs.

All that money up front, and then you gotta pay to maintain it as well as all the electricity and water. I'm sure my wife is pissed at me, but I just never could say, "oh this sounds great; let's do it!."

Best of luck to you.....maybe YMMV, and it will make your life better.

No Chance and Nook like this.
  4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The family of one of my good friends from graduate school owns a pool company.

They've been doing it for decades.

I've seen some of the pools they've done and they're really nice.

I can send you their number if you'd like.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

cool. I will take this moment to say to never use uno pool plastering or any pool builders that do

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bought a $12 inflatable pool from Walmart. Has been solid for my 1 y/o so far.

7. Buck Turgidson

$12?

Clearance sale?

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I know this isnt the response you were looking for...but now is a TERRIBLE time to get a pool built. The quotes are outrageous, our pool guy and a friend that builds pools have said the same thing. I actually asked him when it would be a good time and all he said was "not right now fersure"

When it comes to pools some important things to note.

1. The majority of pool people get a bad rep, and for good reason. Take everything they say with speculation. They are known for giving word of mouth and going back on promises.
    2. Right/wrong times to have a pool built. Our pool was built for 50K, would cost 100K+ right now.
    3. Be sure you understand the maintenance that goes into a pool. Expect to spend 200-600$/month (depending on the size)
    4. I'd say the majority of builders out there are shady, but definitely stay away from the pool scrubbers. **** those people.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. BenignDMD

Yeah, please. Thanks

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hell yeah. Was originally $35 I think. 8 ft long. I can sit in it but my daughter does not approve.

The down side is there is no drain on the bottom so I have to scoop the water out like a chump until I can turn it over.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. BenignDMD

I would appreciate that, thanks

12. BenignDMD

Why is now a bad time, i.e why have prices gone up? Demand?

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

exactly...the pool folks themselves are admitting it too. OP, do not get a pool built right now. If you want a pool that bad I'd recommend finding a new house since you are probably likely to get shafted less that way.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

That's partly it. Our guy who is one of the rare honest pool dudes out there said that was the reason and also that the folks wanting to build a pool often want it bad enough to the point they accept the ridiculous prices the pool companies are setting the standard at...and they are making a killing right now btw.

My advice is wait it out, or find a house with a pool (much easier and less of a headache + $$$ saved.)

Speaking of expenses, we are due for a replastering and the quote we got was for 10K (some said 15). We're going to wait it out for another 2-3 years because eff that.

#14 LosPollosHermanos, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Pools are money traps for the middle class.

They seem great and a fun luxury until they cost 50-60K for a mediocre one and another 5k a year to maintain forever... plus every decade another 10K for repairs.

Years ago before my business really exploded, I dealt with making the poor choice to add a pool and it was a real financial burden.

Unless you are making 200K+ I wouldn't even consider it. Even at what I make now, not worth it. Better off spending the money or a summer home or something else.

cheke64 likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pools and boats seem to go hand-in-hand when it comes to "why in the hell did we get this?" expenses... at least long-term, anyway.

cheke64 likes this.