1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Polo: the mullet of shirts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-Bob, Jun 20, 2003.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about polo shirts?

1. The polo is the true mullet of shirts.

28 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. The polo is a lesbian starter kit.

16 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Polo shirts don't bother me.

111 vote(s)
    46.4%
  4. Dude, I love my polo shirts. And my clip-on sunglasses.

84 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So yesterday, I was out with Mrs. B-Bob after work and we went into a Banana Republican. She wanted some sort of wrap type of thing for trips to the beach, which I don't understand, but anyway, I saw a cheap striped T-shirt that I wanted to try on. When I was in the dressing room, I heard a couple next door having an argument. As soon as put on the striped T-shirt, I heard this...

Her: "Will you please just try it on?"
    Him: "No! It has stripes. It sucks."
    Her: "Would it kill you to own something other than polos?"
    Him: "You want me to look like I'm two years old?"
    Her: "Well, you're acting like you're two, so why not?"
    Him: "Look, I'm a man. We only like polo shirts."

And I thought to myself, I don't own a polo and have not owned a polo in the last twenty years or so. Why not? Am I not a man? Then I thought, screw that, polos are the MULLETS of shirts. Let me explain.

[​IMG]
    (note all the stink coming off the shirt)

I don't mean that the polo shirt represents a certain socio-economic class, but I mean it wants to be two things at once.
    It wants to be a button down, but it wants to be a T-shirt. It was to be business up top and a party below. It wants to look more formal, but it looks like ass.

I asked Mrs. B-Bob. She said "Well, I always associate polo shirts with lesbians. ... Especially starter lesbians, women who have just come out of the closet and want to broadcast." Wow. So that's my story. Please vote in the poll-o and share your thoughts.

2. B-Bob

Pardon the typos up there. Anyway, for the record, I wear button-ups, T-shirts, sweatshirts, moomoos, ... anything but polos.

3. B-Bob

Damn, I am getting crushed. Guess it's time for me to buck up and buy a polo shirt. Hopefully, I can get one with a little corporate logo on the pocket. Are there Clutch City polo shirts?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Can polo shirts have stripes? I have a lot of polo-type shirts, collared, with stripes or some other design. Made by tommy hilfiger and other companies. I hate the plain solid colored ones.

I wear them for the mullet reason- I want to be able to wear them to work and also wear them with jeans or untucked if I want to just hang out. Hehe, I never though of them being like mullets, but it makes sense. :)

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have several polo shirts and I wear them for the same reasons mentioned by Mr. Clutch.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I don't own a single polo shirt, to the best of my knowledge, but I'd wear one, if the fate of the human race rested on my putting it on....probably...almost for sure....

Good, God, bu they're ugly, and that's on grandfathers...who, I believe,are the only ones not prevented by several by-laws from wearing the damn things in public. It is impossible for a young man to wear a polo shirt, and not look like one of the following:

*A) He's golfing...and has no taste, or any other sense for that matter, most notably vision......

*B) He's been hit in the head, mugged, left for dead in a ravine, whereupon he awoke and found that the cruel muggers had left him with two options in the unlikely event that he recovered : a tutu, and a polo...and after trying on the tutu, the poor man finds out it's too small...

*C) He's an accountant.

7. deepellumrocket

I think polos are fine, but I refuse to wear one with any kind of logo embroidered on it.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I like to shop at Banana Deomocrat...

9. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...interesting. Is this a trait throughout academia? Waiting for Rimbaud & Isabel to chime in...

10. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I always associate polo shirts with uniforms. A lot of service businesses make people wear polo shirts and khakis as their uniform, which I find kind of disingenuous. At least if they make you wear a shirt with a logo or nametag, other people understand that you have to wear that for work. But when you wear the polo/khaki combo, other people aren't sure if you're wearing it for work or if you just like to look dorky just for the hell of it.

At Starbucks, I had to wear a polo/khaki uniform. After my first day on the job, I came home and was checking my mail at my apartment's mail area and some guy I'd never seen before walked by. He took one look at my un-uniform and said, "What restaurant do you work at?" I guess I should be glad he didn't assume I was a starter lesbian. :)

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

I love Polo shirts.

Especially ones made by Ralph Lauren and Lacoste.

You people have no fashion sense if you don't like the polo shirt and khaki shorts combo during the summer.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ahhhh, what is this? I wear polos. Not all the time, but they are part of my wardrobe. I never think of them as formal wear, I always wear mine untucked with jeans.

When I was an intern, I would occasionaly wear polos with khakis, usually Ralph and Lacoste as well. My regular polos are Ralph Lauren Chaps and Old Navy.

13. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Ouch, that's bad.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Long khaki cargo shorts and a polo don't look bad at all.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lacoste polo's are the best ones. They are nice.

Nook likes this.
  16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree. Its definitely the look.

17. B-Bob

[​IMG]
    "Oooossski... I am the ghost of wardrobe future! Behold!"

18. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Polo shirts need to be tucked in to avoid the white trash look.
    In = business casual. Out = Springer guest.

Also, polo shirts are okay if they are still in good shape. Too often you see polo shirts that have been washed too many times or have shrunken a size or two. No one wants to see a faded pink polo shirt trying to cover a bulging beer belly.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have much of an opinion on polo shirts, but I would just to say this: B-Bob, you married a damn good woman.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. B-Bob

Raven Lunatic,
    Thanks mucho. I'll pass along the good words. I'm a lucky b*stard for sure. :)

But in other news, despite my crafty plan of splitting the opposition with a Nader/Perot type of option, the "mullet" vote is getting crushed here. Guess polo shirts aren't just for work anymore.