1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Move KPj to Sixth Man Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Mar 15, 2022.

?

Should KPj move to a sixth man role?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Depends on the PGs we have on the roster

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's not my idea, it is your idea after I've read so many posts, but Scoot's role is mentioned a lot on here. Likely this poll will have zero impact on the world (including within the Clutchfans world) but I'm growing curious about the experiment of KPj at the one. Is it working or are we looking for something more consistent offensively? Defensively he can look like a hound and the right fit, but offensively we don't have an identity yet.

What's the temperature here right now at season's end?

TimDuncanDonaut, HP3, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What r your thoughts on the kpj pg experiment?
    Think he can improve to b the ideal pg?

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would want to start nix but feel like josh Christopher has earned the shot first

fattz, hakeem94 and vator like this.
  4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

He is a ball dominant player, playing next to at least two other guys, that want and should have the ball in their hands a lot. He can lead the second unit and finish games in the Ginobili role, while letting Wood und Green get their touches.

5. ilias

ilias Member

I think we need to give KPJ as much playing time as possible both to continue developing his playmaking skills, as well as for us to assess whether he is a good long-term fit next to Green. There is still a potential star in KPJ, lots of players break out in their 4th year or even in their second contract and he is still very young. There isn’t anyone else on the team that can credibly claim the PG spot as their own. Having said that, I’d like to see JC get more minutes next to Green, ideally sharing the floor with Sengun. If that works out, then think about moving KPJ to a 6th-man role.

Keep in mind his contract situation. Even if we do not come to regard him as a key starter by the end of next year, we may still want to keep him in the roster and take a long-term value bet on him. So, critical to maintain a good relationship with him, manage his emotions, and put resources towards his development.

don grahamleone, burlesk and DaDakota like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes no sense to me to start someone like Schroder who isn't part of the long term plan just to win some games. KPJ has a lot of room to grow, shown he is capable of growth, and has good chemistry with his teammates. Green is developing just fine and I think people are upset that Jalen isn't going to get ROY but we shouldn't make rotational decisions based on awards.

People need to be patient and let things play out vs making brash decisions that just make players feel there is no commitment behind decisions, especially when there isn't a good replacement for KPJ at the moment. Keep KPJ at the one until someone is just clearly better than him.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

I said Depends. When Schroder got his first start there was a MAJOR difference in how the offense ran vs having Porter at the helm but then again there is a major difference in the experience that Schroder has over Porter. If we got an Ace PG in the draft with the Brooklyn pick (possible? I don't see them using a Top 4 pick on Ivey as too many good bigs to choose from) then I'd say move Porter to the 3 or first off the bench.

The other thing to think about is who has the higher ceiling as a pure scorer between Porter and Green. That is to say if you had to choose one to build around who would it be. If you chose Porter you may want to package Green in a deal to get Ivey and Vice Versa. THAT IS OF COURSE unless you think Nix should be the PG of the future which of course then you would have him starting ASAP to get the chemistry up with more than likely Green, skip out on Ivey and most likely move Porter to the bench and draft another big with the Brooklyn pick.

We have such a glut of guards and there is not enough floor time to determine who should carry that starting PG spot.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

*Depends on the PGs we have on the roster -
    But, obviously both Stone n KPJr himself had long given themselves a psychological suggestion that 'he gonna be the next Harden', so move him to the sixth man role no better than letting him go or moving back sf position.

10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm sure Porter would handle coming off the bench with the utmost professionalism.

The Rockets don't have a PG on the roster, everybody is at best a score first combo guard. Who comes off the bench really doesn't matter in that regard. Schroeder is closer to one, but still a score first player.

An actual PG would be amazing for this team, but winning isn't what we're trying to do.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He should be the 7th or 8th man and should not be a primary playmaker.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ve been saying he’s a 6th man all year. If he can’t thrive in that role as a ball dominant guard leading the 2nd unit, we should move him this offseason and give Josh Christopher those minutes.

right now we only have one starter who I expect to still be a starter years from now: Jalen Green. We need a PG. we need a SF. We need a PF. And we need a Center. What we don’t need is another combo guard who thinks he’s too good to come off the bench.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I started suggesting this back in late December and Christopher's development has only made me more convinced that we have better options to develop in that role which isn't to say KPJ isn't useful but rather that we should just lean on what he does do well at this point and let him be a scoring ball handler on the 2nd unit and move Christopher in the starting spot.

The conversation with KPJ is going to be rough regardless but this is the time for the coaching staff to get KPJ to see that he is only going to be in the league as long as he has a valuable skill set and while being a Rocket starter has been nice(for him), KPJ isn't going to start for anywhere else but the worst team in the league so he better embrace finding a role that will keep him in the league longer because PG aint going to work for a high turnover, poor shooting guy who doesn't get easy shots for others. His skill is being aggressive and bullying guys on the way to the paint - mind as well lean into that and stop pretending like he is going to develop into something else.

don grahamleone and Milos like this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He’s not a 1 definitely but he isn’t a 6th man either. That distinction belongs to JC. Much like Wood, KPJ needs to accept a lesser role. Understand what is required of him, fit in, and then do that job well. At the same time Rox need to define his lesser role if they choose this path. The rox tested out to see if Wood and KPJ are legitimate starters in this league and the past couple seasons have showed us that they are not. I do believe we will see more of Nix in the last few weeks at the 1 as Rox will scrap the KPJ experiment at this position. We may see him at the 3 or not at all. He reminds me of Larry Hughes who was a very inefficient player but yet teams tried to play him as a starter, which never panned out.

Deckard and don grahamleone like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

KPJ just isn't a starting playmaker. to heart and want to is there but the BBIQ just isn't. I'm sure he can become a top level bucket getter but not as a starter. If he could become a Reggie Jackson type player he'll get paid well and play for a decade.

don grahamleone and apollo33 like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly Porter is a classic jack of all trades and master of none type of player, which doesn't really go too far in the NBA.

He needs to start focusing on honing 1-2 skills and be great at it, right now he's just okay to below average at everything and it makes people have a false sense of hope for his development.

I think we are asking him to be a Harden, when he will never be a Harden. And having a poor man's Harden is worse than having just a regular player. He would be way more effective if he can just cut down his own role, focus on being great at attacking the rim, focus on making all his catch and shoot 3's.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  18. vator

vator Contributing Member

I honestly don’t think he would be receptive to coming off the bench on this team as currently comprised. At all. It’s a pride and ego thing. He thinks he’s better than Nix and Christopher. Maybe in the right situation and headspace he’s probably not wrong. This would be a tough sell for sure.

If prefer to continue to start him and deploy him in ways where his strengths are better utilized.

fattz, don grahamleone and DaDakota like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unless we are playing Nix, then no.

DD

Bo6 and vator like this.
  20. vator

vator Contributing Member

This game was a best case scenario. It was a good mix of on ball and off ball Scoot. The data shows he’s a better scorer when others create shots for him. Then I think his confidence goes up and he gets into a rhythm offensively when he actually does try to create for himself or others. He’s very much a rhythm player. When his scoring is off, he tends to fall apart in other facets of his game too. Get him some easy shots.

burlesk and don grahamleone like this.