1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police: Concealed Handgun Holder Assaulted, Robbed Of Handgun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 19, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is priceless. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Police: Concealed Handgun Holder Assaulted, Robbed Of Handgun
    http://ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_17667.shtml

MEDFORD-- A 25 year old man was robbed of his handgun and assaulted on Thursday night in a Walmart bathroom by two men, according to Medford Police.

Around 9:17 p.m., police say the victim was carrying the Springfield XD 40 caliber handgun in a holster on the back of his waistband as he entered the Center Drive Walmart. The handgun was partially concealed by his shirt, according to police.

The man went into the bathroom and was followed by a man who punched him in the face, and knocked him to the ground. The suspect then pointed the stolen gun at the victim and ordered him to leave.

Video surveillance shows that a second suspected waited outside.

The two suspects then met up and left in a dark colored van, according to police.

The first suspect is described as a white male in his mid 30s, medium build and 6'2". He was wearing a black Raiders shirt over a gray long sleeved shirt, jean shorts, white and black tennis shoes and a flat billed hat.

The second suspect is described as a Hispanic male in his 20s or 30 and 5'10". He was wearing white shorts, a gray and black pullover jacket with red drawstrings, black beanie with red stripe and red and white tennis shoes.

The victim had a Concealed Handgun License.

Police are searching for the suspects.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, politics.....clearly enough to make some happy about others getting robbed and assaulted if it can be twisted to fit a narrative they support.

Well done.

3. CometsWin

Oh Christ. The gun nut narrative is that more guns deter crime. It's a perfectly legitimate story to discuss.

Maybe next time there'll be another good guy with a gun in the Walmart bathroom to stop these kinds of assaults.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, no, assault and robbery is pretty much always bad. This is a little more vexing in considering whether or at what point he should have shot these guys.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Another gun on the streets now thanks to this CHL guy.

6. malakas

malakas Member

??? What's the point of this thread? Doesn't this happen everyday probably? I don't understand what's the so surprising and noteworthy here to discuss.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The victim here and the public would benefit from gun technology that lock the gun usage to owners.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think the point of the thread is countering the narrative that possessing guns prevents crime. This story highlights a point I've thought which carrying a pistol doesn't help you if you get caught by surprise, which is exactly what criminals do. They are a terrible criminals if they can't even pull off the element of surprise. A home invasion is about the only scenario where you Might have some response time to draw your weapon.

1 person likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is something that I say a lot when teaching self defense, a gun is not the end all of self-defense. You need to be very cognizant of the gun being taken away from you and used against you.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes there is smart gun technology where the gun can only work with the right handprint pattern. I'm not a gun guy so I don't know how fool proof this is and I presume that it is very expensive.

While such technology may prevent others from using the weapon it still doesn't address properly securing it so it isn't taken away in the first place. As far as self-defense is concerned a weapon is only valuable if you can use it. This is why I always encourage people to study martial arts and develop innate physical skills. Unlike guns, knives, mace, tazers etc.. those are things that are always with you and can't be taken away from you.

11. CometsWin

These are excellent points. I thought this story was particularly relevant to Texas as open carry goes into effect in January. The ole boys in the country may not have this issue but as you approach the larger cities I can see this type of thing happening with some frequency.

12. malakas

malakas Member

thanx for explaining to me. I made a wrong assumption in thinking that the frequency and probabillity of such incidents resulted in taking for granted that guns don't protect you all the time but I guess not. Instead you give your attacker/criminal a dangerous fatal weapon.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have a family friend who had his home invaded. He was a gun nut who had probably 10 different guns hidden all over the house. It didn't help because he was woken out of his sleep with gun at his head. Luckily they never found any of the guns because the situation could have been much worse.

14. Ohreally

Ohreally Contributing Member

If he would of concealed it better that would never have happened. I'm pretty sure he was printing that's why he way singled out.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Guns don't prevent crime in every instance, so we should scrap the whole concept of guns for self-defense. What else should we abandon because it is not 100% effective and can even have negative consequences?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Except the number of times guns have saved lives is severely outnumbered by the number of times guns have helped murder lives in the U.S.

If a tool that is used for 'self-defense' isn't really used for self defense 90+% of the time, then your argument looks pretty damn silly.

#16 fchowd0311, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not saying we should do away with guns or denying that guns aren't a valuable tool for self-defense. What I am saying is that just having a gun doesn't guarantee that you are safe and also can potentially make things more dangerous if they can be taken away and used against you or others. That goes for any weapon.

I'm not making a political argument I'm talking about the practicalities of self-defense.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

100% effective? Guns are not even 10% effective. If you look at other countries, their crime rates are comparable to the US. The only difference is more people die in the US.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's like when gun nuts use the car analogy. "But libtards don't want to ban cars and they kill people." If cars were not used for their intended purpose(transport) and instead used to murder 90%+ of the time then yes we should look into banning automobiles. But they aren't.

20. tomato

tomato Member

A true gunman only uses his personal home toilet or outhouse.