1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff rotation whos in whos out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoyalGuard, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not totally random. Ariza was always colder in the playoffs. He was also always colder when his minutes were higher and when there were fewer days between games.

Tucker had a stretch he went cold not so long ago and it perfectly coincided with his minutes being untenable.

Fatigue is not the only thing that contributes to missed shots, but it is a strong contributor to missing long range shots especially and can increase the average number of missed attempts. With Tucker, if MDA is planning to lean on Rivers then Tucker will be stretched again and I predict that he will shoot poorly and the board will either consider it random or blame Tucker for it.

The Rockets as a whole had to miss, but the quantity they missed in the last 2 games is also related to the fact that these guys were overworked the entire regular season and beginning of the playoffs. A team missing 27 of 28 shots can't be chalked up to just bad luck.

2. smokieethabear

Chiozza and Clark have to be in right???

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

If MDA had good sense he would use all the player that have been in the current rotation so no one get tired and play the match up game.

4. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Definitely looking like

Paul
    Gordon
    Harden
    Tucker
    Capela

House
    Nene/Faried depending on matchup

Rivers or Shumpert fighting for last spot

I can't see Mike Dan Tony playing more than 8 guys in the playoff.

My money right now is on
    Paul
    Gordon
    Harden
    Tuckers
    Capela
    House
    Nene
    Rivers

The acquisition of Iman "totally not because of lux tax" Shumpert has been extremely disappointing. Against the Suns, he dribbled into a crowd and took a mid range shot that clanked off the back of the rim. I just face palmed right away. Either Dude doesn't get it or he has zero confidence in his shot. I don't know which one is worst.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

funny seeing some people say the rockets rotation won't go pass 8. Nvm the fact that the rockets rotation had at least 9 players get minutes a year ago vs Minny/Utah in the opening rounds. But because of the circumstances in the next round vs GS, that somehow became the narrative of a set rotation that MDA doesn't play guys, when reality says otherwise. It goes to show who really pays attention to what goes on

Voltik likes this.
  6. StrawberryJamm

Anybody know who the 8/9/10th guys were on Dantoni's previous teams? This team has really good depth, current level Gary Clark would have played in last years playoffs.

7. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I would have Green in for at least 10 mins a game to see if he is hitting his shots. If so, then leave him in. That dude can light it up offensively when he is on.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

MDA will spot Green some minutes in the 1st half because as you said dude can get buckets. Not sure how much PT he will get if a game gets tights in the 4th quarter.

Dacamel likes this.
  9. Voltik

Voltik Member

That’s right , it was a deep rotation in the first two rounds. I remember MDA also trying to play other guys against GSW such as Ryno and Nene but quickly decided within a game or so that he had to shorten the rotation. I don’t blame him at least he tried but it was wise to shorten the rotation, he should have done it earlier knowing matchups.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah, you give guys the opportunity to see if things can work and contribute. that's exactly what he did. they figured out what was working and went up 3-2. then we all know what happen after that.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Should be a 9-man rotation:

CP3/Rivers
    Harden/Green
    Gordon/House
    Tucker/Faried
    Capela/Faried

If Faried is getting killed on defense as he does from time to time sub in Nene for him.

JW86 likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In:

Harden
    Paul
    Capela
    Tucker
    Gordon
    House
    Faried
    Rivers

Partially In (based upon situation or matchups)
    Green
    Nene

Out
    Shumpert
    Clark
    Chiozza
    Frasier
    Hartenstein

DD

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Please get rid of Shumpert. I know Gerald is a liability on defense sometimes but at least he hits shots.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I find it strange that people think there is any chance Green is in the rotation ahead of Shumpert. Green hasn't played 20 minutes in a month, and he's been averaging around 12. He's basically only getting courtesy minutes. Shumpert's have been consistent.

To me the only question is how many minutes will Shumpert play, not whether there's a chance Green is ahead of him.

YOLO likes this.
  15. onreego

onreego Member

Getting injured towards the end of the regular season is the worst situation for a borderline D'Antoni rotation player. :(

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was behind shump in the rotation even before missing last week

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In the 6 games before the injury he only averaged 13, and that's with some mop up duty and Rivers missing a game.. His minutes were gone before the injury.

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Rockets fans are about to be very disappointed. There has been zero indication that Shumpert will be out of the rotation.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is ASS - just complete and utter ASS.

DD

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

probably the same ones that didn't think the rockets were this good. if you're disappointed at someone that's actually contributing bc you have some silly agenda, than that's nothing more than your own nonsense. In which case, its refreshing to know they have no bearing on what the rotation is in reality.