1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing Both C. Lee and Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JVL713, Feb 15, 2011.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Kevin Martin obviously needs to be a starter, but I feel that, with consistent playtime, Courtney Lee develop into a starter as well.

Seeing as they both are listed as shooting guards, I am interested to see what you guys think about playing them both at the same time, and how we would go about doing so.

Courtney at the 1 with K-Mart at the 2?
    Courtney at the 2 with K-Mart at the 3?
    Courtney at the 3 with K-Mart at the 2?

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

wont work, they're both strictly SG imo....would get run over by SFs and not quick enough, or good enough dribbles to play PG...

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

A lot depends upon matchups. BUT

Since so much of defense is about team defense and rotations rather than just one on one matchups I think you can dictate many of those matchups with a combination of both Lee and Martin across all three spots.

Lee's defense is good enough that on most nights he can guard the SF , only a few teams that present real mismatches there.

In some matchups we see Martin defending PG's quite often with Lowry defending the SG. Other times its Battier on the SG and Martin on the SF. I see now reason why Lee - who is a better overall defender couldnt factor into some of these situations. Especially against teams with bigger PG's.

4. Prince

Prince Member

It's ok as long as there are only 5 players on the floor. ;).

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Neither is a good ballhandler, which is why they don't play together unless one of them plays the 3.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Which is most of the problem with the rockets and a lack of veristility on the team. They don't have enough players who can play multiple positions and play together.

7. Rockets_4_life

No, neither of them are strong dribblers..

The only player(outside of Lowry, Brooks & Smith) that is capable of playing the one effectively is Terrence Williams..

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

We already tried Lee at PG. It was a definite fail.

K-Mart is stronger offensively but weaker defensively, though I must say his defense has improved this season.

Lee is weaker offensively but stronger defensively, though I must say his offensive output has been better than expected.

I like Lee and I think he could be our future starting SG. I wouldn't be surprised if Martin is being dangled out there. And if Martin is traded I would think it would be safe to say Adelman will not be returning next season.

9. Sanity2disChaos

I suggested this so long ago.....I really dont see why they couldnt share the 2 and 3 spot......Depending on the defensive matchup , Lee would defend the better scorer on the other team of course.

Lowry
    Martin/lee
    Lee/Martin
    Scola
    HayMaker (C)

We need a starting center so bad it hurts.....Our lineup could and would competes but without a post presence we average at best...IT IS WRITTEN.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets already have the perfect compliment to Lee sitting on the end of the bench dressed in a suit for the past few games.

11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I hear ya. I wanted to include Terrence in the discussion too, but didnt want this to turn into an unleash the kraken thread ;)

I think the real question is whether or not K Mart or Courtney could be effective at the 3, I only really mentioned Courtney at the 1 to throw another option out there. Hopefully Terrence will be there at the 1 after the trade deadline.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If I were to keep 1 . . .I would keep Lee

Rocket River

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like SG just the way it is now. Boston won a championship with basically the exact same mold of players (Ray Allen starting, Tony Allen off the bench).

How bout we upgrade all the other spots?

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

A championship team would have some like Lee coming off the bench. Our problem is that we are mediocre or bad at every other position except PF.

15. Defy9

Defy9 Member

You mean like when Lee started for Orlando when they made it to the Finals?

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I said a "championship" team, which Orlando was not. Note how Orlando's next step was to upgrade at SG.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Note 1: Orlando was Eastern Conference "Champions" with Courtney Lee
    Note 2: Orlando has not been as good of a team since trading Lee

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lee was pretty damn solid for Orlando, he doesn't necessarily have to come off the bench if the rest of the squad is good enough.

and back on topic, I like the idea of playing Clee when the other team have bigger pg's like Rose and Monta

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lee is gonna play the Battier role. He's not better than Martin.

20. damunkster

damunkster Member

I agree there is no reason courtney cant play the 3 he is good enough defender to guard all 3's