1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players / agents avoiding us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 3, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Morey is a fine whiner himself, at least he is finding all the excuses to be great again every year.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You know why players are "avoiding" the Rockets? Because we don't have money. In a reality where replacement level players like Ish Smith got $6 mill a year and all we can offer is the vet minimum, there's a reason why players are "avoiding" us. Is the BAE and MLE there? Sure there are but it's either hoping that we can snag a an above average player on the cheap or overpay for a filler role. The latter might be what most of us want (e.g. Jared Dudley) as a kneejerk reaction but the former is what Morey is praying for once the dust settles on the Kawhi situation. It was the same situation last summer when all we had was the vet minimums to work with.

In the end it's all about money. If i'm a young 20-something player that's not an All-Star but is decent enough, do I care about winning or do I care about making the most money while I can? Fortunately for us, Austin Rivers is a tremendous exception and not the rule.

#22 steddinotayto, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    snowconeman22 and vlaurelio like this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You know harden and cp3 are the best passing and assisting backcourt right

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think what's closer to the truth is that Tilman playing hardball over MDA's extension might have made some players think twice. That adds to the storyline about the Harden/CP3 feud to give the Rox an air of uncertainty right now, and players like to know what they're getting into when they change teams.

JW86 and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Truth- Tilman is broke and will not pay you

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only players that are successful here are basically spot up 3 point shooters and rim runners. They league has way more variance than that

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some slashers or combo guys find their way here like Austin, I wouldn't call his shooting close to elite.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

true if all you want to do is stand in the corner and watch harden do his thing and hope to get a pass within 5 secs of the shotclock, all the while have all of the media hate on your team.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is what is bad and good about the team and the system it runs. We pray for proven 3&D wings but the league caught up to that movement years ago so the demand/cost for them is out of our price range. So we have to settle for UNproven 3&D wings and, rather than stupidly overpaying for them, we try to roll the dice and hope we get lucky (House) and not get egg on our faces (Ennis). As for the rim runners, I'm quite confident that a JeVale McGee could perform just as well as Clint did last year on this team. Was last season's Capela his finest? Absolutely not but the gap in salaries (vet min vs $14 million) is pretty significant to where you gotta wonder "....could we have used Clint's salary in another manner to fill a need?"

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We don't have any elite shooters. It drives me batty.

JW86 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Cp3s successful right?

12. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah the MDA contract situation is not pretty, so unnecessary and makes Tilman look like a tub of tirds. Ditto the CP3 comments.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So successful that everyone thinks he’s trash here?

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

;)