1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plane crash in New York

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Hey, it looks like I'll have a white Christmas since there's no way in hell I'm flying home.

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I find it hard to believe by sheer prob and stat that this was simply an accident. That's B.S. Thousands of planes throughout the world and the one that goes down is from JFK in NYC. There is no way in hell that this is coincidence. No possible way. I will go conspiracy theorist on the world if the final published report states that it was either pilot error, mechanical failure, or unexplained. It was terroristic in nature. How would the governement benefit for denying that it terrorist related? Would it delegitimize terrorist influence?

Chance

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There's accidents all over the place, it was probably just a coincidence. Why does it have to be terrorist activities!? The freaking engine came out of an old plane. The plane ran through electrical currents and it could have shorted out. How come the terrorist during the 9-11 tragedy called through the radio and bragged, but they didn't here? And how could terrorist cause an engine to fall out of the plane, and why would they do it for only one plane? And how could they pull it off on, probably, the most secure airport in the country? Accidents happen. That, or negligence. Maybe the airlines should spend a little money fixing up those planes. Unfortunately every time an accident happens there are going to be people ripping the government for NOT calling it terrorist activity.

4. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Too little info at this time.

Obviously the circumstances lead to speculation about terrorism.

You can't rule it out yet.

5. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

That does it.

My wife and I are hittin' the train to NY this coming spring for a wedding. No planes for me.

6. Chance

RM-

Are you high? I flew out of Bush the day I was born. No just kidding but that was irrisistable. I flew out of Bush on the 7th. I noticed no additional measures or delays. When I arrived in Calgary I went through customs and they told me that I needed a passport or driver's license, and S.S.C. and birth certificate. All I had was a driver's license. I went to immigration and they were like, go ahead, eh. My point is this, if the security outside the airport is as penetratable at the security inside then some piece of **** terrorist could have planted something. To say that it couldn't have happened, or even probably didn't happen that way is premature.

Chance

7. haven

haven Member

A ticket from Logan to Houston? Hmmm... at least I have a late flight.

This one does sort of fit the terrorist profile:

Going a long way. Early in the morning.

I'm sorry, it just seems like too much coinidence. Although I do remember a few years ago when there was a plane crash and all the experts said "planes don't do that... must have been a bomb..." but then they discovered it was a normal crash.

8. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

:rolleyes:

Didn't we all?

:D

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Not trying to add to the conspiracy theorist here but...

Didn’t they find out that it might have been craft services that planted the box cutters on some of those planes 9/11?

How hard would it be to plant an explosive on this plane today?

There was no indication of problems before takeoff and everything seemed normal.

Then all of a sudden an engine explodes?

I'll wait until the investigation has concluded.

But why all of a sudden is this happening only in New York?

It just seems too coincidental

10. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Remember TWA 800...not that I agree with it, but that could very well have been something else other than a fuel tank explosion...

11. Chance

13 years is not old. Oh and Rocks, I'm not picking on you. In fact, I usually agree with you, but htis time, I don't. Plus I am a nervous paranoid up in The Land that Heat Forgot and am apprehensive about flying in a couple of days.

Chance

12. RocksMillenium

It wasn't just 13 years old, the engine had 10,000 miles on it and hadn't be checked since 1988. It is said that at that point MAJOR problems start popping up. Surprise, surprise, and engine that hasn't been checked in 13 years, had 10,000 miles on it, and was due for a MAJOR inspection fell out of the plane. Negligence in my eyes. People are jumping to the conclusion of it being terrorist while everything is pointing towards mechanical problems. The engine DIDN'T blow up, it fell out of the plane into someone's boat in their drive away allegedly. It's possible it could be terrorist, but we're talking about a plane that hasn't been checked in years, that was due for major problems. A tragedy is a tragedy, but why cause a panic if it's an isolated tragedy?

#52 RocksMillenium, Nov 12, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  13. Chance

Rocks, We must be watching different things. Canadian News Channels are reporting that the plane was bought from Airbus brand new in October of 1988 with brand spanking new GE engines. and 10,000 miles is a CAKEWALK for these engines. That was either a typo or I don't know what. Those engines are good for millions of miles. Some Airplane guy needs to update all of us on the scheduled maintenance on big airplane engines.

Plus the plane received a major overhaul FULL systems check in December of 1999 and has recieved all scheduled maitenance since.

14. RocksMillenium

CBS national news is saying that people are "relieved", well as relieved as you can be, that it seems to be an accident. They are saying that they are confident that something came apart in mid-air, but NOTHING so far points towards terrorism, at least yet, even though people seem to be hell bent on that. This just doesn't seem like the M.O. of terrorist. I could be wrong, but there is no way that his is "definitely" terrorism.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rocks

I don't mean to question you, but according to reports on the local news here in NYC the engine was checked in 1999, not 1988.

True engines are check at 10,000 miles and this one had about 9,980. It did have a check after 9/11. It was due for a full check in June of 2002.

16. RocksMillenium

I can't find information about the plane on the net, it's just what I heard on T.V. Something else to consider is the fact that the government didn't shut down every airport in the country. That tells me that they aren't convinced it was terrorist, just a freak accident. No way would the airports stay open if it is suspected that terrorist blew up part of a plane. They found the 2 black boxes though, so if it is terrorism we'll find out soon enough.

17. Chance

After a little research I have determined that airplanes are logged by 'hours' not miles. 10,000 hours is a buttload of hours.

There are planes in AA's fleet with 50,000.

Chance

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wow. I stay home sick today, and I turn on the TV to this...

I heard "Belle Harbor," and I was like "Okay..." Then I heard "NYC," and my stomach started to lurch, following by a pain in the pit of my stomach. Then, the news talked about "Queens" and "Rockaway." The pain in my stomach intensified.

One of my best friends lives 15 blocks away from the crash in Far Rockaway, Queens. He's been fielding phone calls all day (from Seattle). Thankfully, no one he knows was hurt, his parents included. His mom usually goes out for coffee right on 131th St at the time the crash occured. This morning, though, she stayed home to do a little laundry. Crazy. One of his good friends lives on 131th St. at Newport, so he's right in the middle of the crash site. Thankfully, no one was home at the time. However, this friend is unable to get home to see what damage may have occured to his home due to closed bridges.

Does it have to be New York? I was already pretty nervous about flying during Thanksgiving break as it was...

19. red

red Contributing Member

we just found out that my rommate's uncle was the pilot of the plane...

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It might or might not be terrorism, but you know what they say about coincidence...