1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plane crash in New York

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Man, this is going to hurt the airline industry even more even though this is usually the busiest time for airports across the world. Regardless of whether it was a terrorist act or not, 9-11 has changed the way people think about everything and to see something like this just scares them even more from flying

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

3. Lil Pun

They're saying it's 246 people on board now (not counting ground vicitms) we'll just have to wait for the exact number. But you're right, regardless of what went on, hundreds of lives were lost, truly sad. :(

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sure more than 255 people were lost since it crashed into a residential area. I don't mean to be the pessimist here but I wouldn't be surprised if that number at least doubled.

:(

5. ROXRAN

I sure as hell don't feel comfortable getting on an airplane. ....Man, Crazy, tunnels and bridges closed....My prayers go out to those who have died and the families...this is just salt in an open wound for NY and the nation. Very sad.

6. ROXRAN

2 curious facts:
    1. flight was originally scheduled for takeoff at 8:40, but it did not until 9:17 a.m. .....

2. an engine was crashed 4 blocks from rest of crash.

also..... U.N. in partial lockdown where by NO ONE can enter compound.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't feel comfortable getting on planes and it's not even the terrorist, it's the airlines themselves. I don't think this was a terrorist attack. Reports are saying this was an old style plane that operated through electrical signals and that the wires may have shorted out. The fact is that none of airlines maintain the planes properly, and use old planes using duct tape to save a few dollars. This is what happens when you're more concerned with the bottomline then safety, it costs hundreds of lives. All to save a few extra dollars.

#27 RocksMillenium, Nov 12, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

8-12 homes are destroyed and many other small buildings are on fire. So yeah I did not account for the ground casualties. :(

This happended in Rockaway (sp). According to the news many people in the WTC were from Rockaway. So this is like a doulbe whammy for the people there.

9. JVoss

JVoss Member

So what is worse - mechanical failure or terrorist? I can't really decide. If it is mechanical failure, the timing couldn't be worse (obviously). Stupid Airlines.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

At least this didn't happen yesterday on the 11th, or people would REALLY be freaking out...

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Great!?!!?!:mad:

We have tickets to fly home next Tuesday for Thanksgiving. And now my wife wants to blow them off and rent a car to drive.

I'm not looking foreward to 30 hours in a car. double :mad: :mad:

I still think it will be okay. But what's a husband to do when your wife is freaking?

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

According to crashDATABASE.com the Airbus 300 seems to be a safe plane..All of the incidents involving this plane have been human error.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If they do claim this as an accident, then how can anyone feel worse about flying than before the accident? We all know that flying airplanes can have accidents or mechanical problems. That is a risk we have always taken when we fly. The risk we don't want to take is that along with a terrorist risk. If I were to make a decision not to fly, then it would definitively be because the security is still not what it should be. It would not be because a plane went down due to mechanical failure as that happens occassionally. Did anyone stop flying when Alaska Airlines crashed off the coast of California after flying around for a while without an operating horizontal stabilizer....even flying inverted for a while? Hell no!!! That should have scared the bejeezus out of people right there. How would you like to fly a minute or two upside down and then crash into the ocean? But, people kept on flying because they knew it was an accident not likely to happen again and precautionary measures were taken to check the horizontal stabilizers thereafter.

So, if this is ruled out as a terrorist accident and is ruled a mechanical failure, then I think anyone who was planning on flying for Thanksgiving should still fly. You are just hurting the economy by not flying. The truth still remains that road travel is way more dangerous than air travel.

Surf

14. Lil Pun

American has had really bad luck over the past few years, with today, 9-11, the Little Rock crash, etc.

15. ROXRAN

It use to be where people say "I don't want to die before my time", ...now it has become "If I happen to die before my time, please let it be quick and painless."

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I guess crashdatabase.com crashed.

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Who's to say that a terrorist couldn't pay someone some big bucks to unscrew a few screws that could cause a plane engine to fall?? I know I'm reaching here, but how safe are our airports, mechanics, ground crews, etc???

conspiracy theorist,
    rH

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Surf that is exactly how I feel.

It may sound foolhardy but I'll be on that plane.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It would take more then unscrewing a few screws so to speak to cause the accident that happened there. It appears to be a mechanical accident, something that happened inside the plane. It would seem weird for ONE plane to be seemingly sabatoged, especially to a point where an engine would slide out of the plane. One thing that supports the blown fuse theory is that there wasn't a distress signal. If the fuse in the plane went out, and they lost power and control of that plane, something like that would happen.

#39 RocksMillenium, Nov 12, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  20. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I am not looking forward to driving home instead of flying. Home is Houston.

I'm 100 miles North of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Damn.

Chance