1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitts - Guard or Tackle??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Buck88, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine the other day and it really got me to thinking. I was arguing that Pitts was drafted to be a guard and he'll become that come next season. My buddy was saying that he bets Pitts will be a left tackle next season as well.

Whether or not Pitts is there next season, for what-ever reason, is not the question, but rather the Texans brass is now starting to views Pitts as a possible long-term option at left tackle? I would argue that he's just a short-term fill-in until they get a real left tackle and move Pitts to guard. But with what would be two years under his belt after this season, I could see the Texans staring to see him more as a viable tackle.

Which they would surely move if they could get a pro-bowler in there, but not a position the MUST address in the off-season. What do you guys think?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I always thought that Pitts was drafted to be the LG next to Boselli. However, lately I've read some articles (local) that suggest he was supposed to be Boselli's backup last year.

Regardless, I think his performance this year will determine whether we go after a LT this offseason or a LG (assuming Brown isn't the answer).

I thought Pitts played okl last year, considering the situation he was put into. He is off to a good start this year.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Pitts can lock up Jason Taylor for the majority of a game, no matter how poorly the rest of the Dolphins team played, then I have no doubt in my mind that he can be a viable option at LT long term.

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

All things considered, I think Pitts has done an excellant job at LT so far and could easily settle in there long term. I think he would do equally well and maybe better at guard.

I think he gives the Texans some real flexibility. If they draft for the left side of the line, I think it lets them take the best lineman, regardless of position.

Also, if Seth Wand progresses to the point of taking over LT, then Pitts could shift over. I think Wand's size makes him a better tackle than guard.

I haven't watched the tape of the game, yet, but Milford Brown must have done something right, since there were 0 sacks and decent rushing yards.

Hopefully, the line can build on a very good game for them.

5. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I forgot all about Wand. He's probably the wild card here. If he develops into a real player (like I've read the Texans are really hign on him) then Pitts goes to guard. If not, oh well Pitts stays at tackle. I just not sure Pitts is quick enough to be a main stay at left tackle. Here's hoping Wand tuns into a player and Pitts moves to the left guard position where I think he could flurish.

6. kmbwa

kmbwa Member

What I remember from the draft was that Pitts was a very inexperienced tackle drafted as a project to develop behind and eventually take over for Boselli. Obviously, it hasn't worked out that way.

Regardless of why we drafted him, they won't mess with a good thing unless he falters. One game doesn't make a career, but he did well against Taylor and should be fun watching how he performs going forward.

7. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

He got beat on every down by # 98 today.

8. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Well, least he and the line held it together for the first half though. That second half made me wanna cry though, that was a hard half to watch.

9. MykTek

MykTek Member

hehehe, chester is a cool guy, anyone see his suitmax commercial yet.....my friend knows him personally....and we were cracking up about it and then he called him and he was getting off the plane in NO and just laughed his ass off.....