1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pirates close to landing Wandy Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheGreat, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yeah I don't like it either. Why on earth could we not fetch five Bryce Harper level prospects with the aging, mediocre, overpaid veterans is beyond me. Any other GM in baseball would turn this **** to gold in no time.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

dude, we couldn't try Lee to like half of the teams because of his no-trade contract and he was owned $18 Million this year and he is 35 and on the decline...NOBODY WANTED HIM!!!!! We are LUCKY to have gotten what we did from the Marlins. The alternative was Lee was content to play out his final year in Houston and he would've retired or gone elsewhere and we weren't getting ANYTHING IN RETURN.

Clear?

The Wandy deal=declining pitcher, so-so stats, big contract. This also makes him hard to trade--deals last year fell through because of his large $$$. Luhnow got three prospects from a good farm (Pirates) and all have upside. With prospects its never a sure thing but for a rebuilding team you have to take it. The alternative was continue to LOSE with Wandy on the team. What did that bring?

You don't think Luhnow wasn't scouring for the best deal possible? That was probably it. Blame Wandy and his contract, not the Astros organization who, in my opinion. has the right plan to get them out of the mess they are in now.

Be GREATFUL its Luhnow and not WADE making the decisions and rebuilding. :rolleyes:

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what did you prefer? Waiting out Wandy during a sucky period? Paying him more than half that amount between now and next year's trade deadline and hoping he turned it around, meanwhile taking up a roster spot that could go to evaluating one of these younger guys at least? Trading him in the winter when we had no suitors last year after a better season than the one he's tossing right now?

Come up with some damn options. Seriously, you didn't like the Lee deal? What the hell did you want for him? He was producing average numbers for a 1st baseman, and he could refuse trades (and was carrying out that refusal) to half the teams in the league. It's amazing that we found a team not on the list that was willing to trade for him--knowing that they had leverage since it was difficult for us to make a deal while he was refusing anything to stay at home

Yeah, this is getting irritating. For some people, there is no good that can happen...it's always seeing the glass half empty unless it's an insane steal (and I can't even come up with a great analogy because that stuff just doesn't happen except in some cases when you look back a few years later)

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've come down a bit from my blatant hatred of this trade. Grossman hopefully will provide a decent stop gap to Springer and then years of productive 4th outfielder service.

I still contend a high-ceiling player, even if you had to go down as low as GCL level, is what we needed to get out of the trade. Luhnow definitely got functional pieces, but I'd hardly say I'm impressed.

5. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

Very serious.

[​IMG]

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

LOL. somehow never knew about this. reading about it now.

7. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I LOVE all the deals this regime has made.

Who CARES how much money "we're" sending out...our payroll will be peanuts and despite the low attendance, I don't see Crane going belly up. How much we send out to restock the farm while we suck donkey ass is not going to affect us when we finally climb up out of this crap hole. We've got an owner who maybe, just maybe wants to win for more than just money. He's a baseball man and exudes (to me anyway) the qualities of someone who has a chip on his shoulder.

Dead Wade was in charge of moving our valuable chips...including the deal where he had the Jays trade Taylor for Wallace so he could ship them freakin' Anthony Gose back for the 1B with less pop than Daric Barton.

Lunhow is now moving the middle of the road guys and these replenishing moves have been very, very good considering Wandy, Brett, and the ilk weren't really exciting most rival execs out there (admittedly, a dubious assumption based on reports) and have no other value to this team beyond their trade value. And value did we get! Obviously, somebody wanted them and Jeff, Sig and company found some legit deals. Better than I expected.

While very likely no future stars, there will 100% be some quality players from what we've gotten back this season. Some of these guys are going to round out a winning team one day. That's my take.

#107 Disciple of RP, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You realize he is 33 and he has pitched better at home. Not to mention his strikeout numbers are lowering and he has pitched poorly lately.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You realize the marlins also got the drsft pick, right? That is highly valued, money in the drsft is very important

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Maybe bc none of those players are any good.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

We are paying the rest of lees contract, so we basically bought those two prospects and got a chance to see what wallace(once he gets called up) can do in the majors.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

This. We aren't trading a Greinke, Johnson, Ramirez, Hamels type player. We are trading a wandy(who has been good at home) and Lee(I'm just happy he was traded).

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wandy and eny are the same person

14. Nook

Nook Member

I support what the Astros are doing and I am pleased with the job they have done the last season. I just wish we would have gotten more when it is considered that we paid large chunks of salary. I know Jeff got the most he could. I liked the Dodgers deal for Lee better, but Carlos backed out.

15. xcrunner51

I know. I was wondering if he did.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Who says Grossman isn't high-ceiling? He's got a .778 OPS and he's developing power. He was the Pirates #5 ranked prospect and they have one of the better farm systems in baseball. This guy could be every bit as good Domingo Santana, Jonathan Villar, etc.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

The big takeaway really is "who knows'? The good: we are restocking with prospects: some have upside, some seem meh, but the bottom line is we are infusing the club with new talent--some of them are BOUND to be good/serviceable and possible even future stars.

I mean how many times do "can't miss" prospects flame out? Like Troy Patton, Tim Redding, Sapp, etc. Reading prospects is not easy so you take what you can get, try to make an educated move and hope for the best! These so-so propects could surprise. At this point we have to trust Luhnow and go from there.

Critize the Astros in a few years if nothing improves, but you can't fault them for what they are doing now.

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Oh. Was just making sure

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well before the year started Goldstein rated Grossman as a four star prospect, we only had Cosart Springer and Singleton as four star prospects at the time. I like grossman and I could see him being our right fielder for a while, and maybe a CF next year until springer gets called up and then move to right. He has been hitti g extremely well as of late(.900 OPS last 2 months), so hopefully he develops some more power(projects to probably have 15-20 HR)

20. xcrunner51

Everyone?

He's kind of like Nolan Fontana: high floor, low ceiling. He gets on base at a high clip, has nice doubles power, and is a decently regarded prospect --> but it's very unlikely he'll be an all-star.

At 22 going on 23, he's probably never going to develop corner outfield power. Scouting reports say he's could stick in CF but would never be above average defensively there. Otherwise he'd be a weak-power corner outfielder, aka 4th outfielder. He does have solid doubles power though. His ceiling is an everyday CF with doubles power. Again, not shabby at all.

Could he be as good as Santana or Villar? Perhaps, but they would both have to not reach their ceilings. Not an unreasonable presumption with how raw they are, but both of those guys have all-star tools. Santana is looking at 35+ hr power in RF and Villar is a 5-tool short stop.