1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pirates close to landing Wandy Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheGreat, Jul 24, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not upset. It's great to get something back for Wandy and all but the money we've been sending out is outrageous.

Couldn't we have held on to Wandy until next year and just hoped he'd get back to ok and not dog ****, owed less money and trade him for better?

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's not the definition of impact prospect. I'd gladly take a high-upside prospect in rookie ball if it were available. That's pretty much what Musgrove is.

I might be spoiled by getting Domingo Santana as the PTBNL in the Pence trade but that's exactly the type of prospect the Astros should have been going after. High upside but incredibly raw.

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Im just glad all these guys are gone. Starting from scratch is what was needed. Now we get to watch a bunch of young guys grow up. Stop complaining and start supporting.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He'll be 34 years old next year, and has a clearly falling K rate. That's a pretty dangerous gamble.

Fact remains, the rumored packages we heard for Wandy the past two summers weren't as nice as the one the Pirates gave us tonight. And that was with a younger Wandy with better performance. The issue has always been the contract. Thankfully, we have an owner now that's willing to compensate for that. It's not your bank account, so what does it matter?

5. SupermoochieFro

I think Wandy would get jacked up in the AL. There's no guarantee he would improve on this season and then what would we get for him?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We were spending the money anyway to keep him. Now we can tank a little harder, shed some of the payroll responsibility, and get talent in return.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm not sure I agree. The problem with the Astros hasn't just been a lack of "high upside" guys. This isn't Daryl Morey and his perpetually role-player driven, superstar-lacking Rockets. It's been a lack of prospects and MLB-quality players, period. If Grossman turns out to be a league average or slightly better outfielder, I'm pretty happy with this trade. Plenty of other extremely raw, "high upside" guys in this organization already.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

OH, and I think it's crazy to judge the Myers deal when we still don't know the PTBNL yet (when many are speculating that may be the best of the guys we get back)

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The minors is littered with high upside guys who never amount to anything.

10. Major

Major Member

They are just sending out a portion of the money they'd have to pay if they kept the players. It's not like they are spending money to make these trades.

It only matters if we care about the current product on the field. And it's great to finally have a GM who doesn't - he just cares about building a better long-term product. These prospects are not superstars, but systems aren't just built on superstars. They are built on depth.

Of all the things to criticize the new GM about, this seems just weird. His ability to draft and acquire prospects that actually make it to the majors is considered his biggest historical strength.

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It took Omar Infantry AND Anibal Sanchez to get Turner out of Detroit. Top prospects just don't get moved unless studs are involved. We've had no studs on the team at ll this year so all we can do is trade for solid, if unspectacular prospects and hope to catch lightning in a bottle with a few of them.

Considering the state of the farm system just 2 years ago...Luhnow is doing exactly what the team needs. Keeping 30-somethings is not a good plan for the future. People wanted to hang Ed Wade for keeping Myers and Wandy the last two seasons. Luhnow got good return for them IMO.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who's coming up to take his place?

13. xcrunner51

Of course. But all the other trades brought in depth and polished, lower upside guys. Wandy was the one chance to get a decent high upside player.

Didn't have to be a 'top' prospect. Just a high upside guy. Like I said, Domingo Santana wasn't a top prospect but his upside was/is huge.

14. xcrunner51

armando galarraga

15. drewd17

drewd17 Member

I guess these guys hating are the same guys that start the fire Morey threads and can't even spell his name right :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess Keith Law and the rest of the baseball experts shouldn't be commending Lunhow on what he's on with our crap and turned it into potential for our future. Little more praise and little haterade your cups!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'd like to commend our owner, Mr. Crane, on this trade. Once again, he was willing to swallow the pill for the betterment of the team long-term, and it's not as likely that this would have happened under the previous regime (though he did swallow money sometimes)

17. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

New reports saying that Wandy was traded for Grossman straight up, but that the Astros also acquired Cain and Owens for Eny Cabreja.

18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I think some of the initial disappointment came after it looked like Hansen would be involved in the deal. I'm a little disappointed too, and still don't think it's a great deal, but the more I think about it, the better it looks. There likely are no stars but all three of these guys could contribute to the major league team relatively soon. And who knows, acquire as many lottery tickets as you can and one is bound to hit. I mean, who ever thought Wandy would be the guy he turned into back in 05-06.

19. xcrunner51

Not sure if serious.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, my sentiment exactly. I did not like the Lee or Wandy deal. Don't forget we are paying a lot of these guys too.