1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Pet Peeve) Not responding to a text

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MiddleMan, Jul 17, 2011.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Is this considered anti social or just plain rude. He/She would text me out of the blue and I respond with an answer then he/she does not respond at all. WTF is with that??

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well sometimes I don't respond when others would.

Example:

Me: Are you on your way here to the mall

Them: yeah, I'll be there in 5 minutes.

Most people I know will text back ok, K, alright or something similar but I dont.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

did you ask something back, or did u just reply to a question? If you didn't ask something back, why would they need to write a reply?

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I usually answer questions and so do my friends. There are some text that are just statements where people do not reply.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This.

I tend to think excessive texting is the anti-social thing, not the other way around. Can't even count the number of people I'm always running into who are only half paying attention to a real live conversation because they're too busy texting.

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

"When you gonna let me tap that?"

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i wish there was a way to see if the recipient has read the message or not... like the outlook feature

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I usually reply with a "OK" or "aite man" or something like that. Just to let them know I got their text or something.

With my blackberry though, unfortunately they let you know the second the recipient opens the message. I hate that. Now they know I opened it and if I don't want to answer them I'll just come off looking like a jerk.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If it is just informational . . . I won't respond.
    If it is a question I respond.

"The meeting is at 7 instead of 8" - This is a so-so . .I might say ok
    just so they won't text me 99 more times to make sure

"Where is the meeting? " - I will answer and if they don't respond
    I will assume they got the message

"I made it to the meeting" - This is just informational . . .. esp if i will be at the same meeting . .. i would not really respond

Also .. I think it is also . . .the time between sending and receiving
    Sometimes i miss them . . . and it is several hours later
    If the even has past . . . . .I may not respond
    or at best send a SORRY I MISSED IT

Rocket River
    Social Etiquette is getting complicated

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I agree with RR that social etiquette is getting complicated. Personally, though I enjoy the convenience, I kind of deplore having a cell phone for this reason. I don't always have the time or inclination for real-time communication that can come out of the blue at any moment and I resent that it makes me feel guilty and rude when I don't reply right away or same day, so I always do even though I don't want to. Oh for the days of letters that could be composed at leisure and communication in which neither person feels offended by not hearing back on the same day or in the same hour. This is why I turned off facebook chat. That stuff is horrible. For me, anyway. The way anyone you've ever known can trap you in a real-time conversation and how gentle you have to be in extracting yourself from it if you feel the need (which I almost always do).

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

My only pet peeve is writing a female a text...then not hearing from them for an hour or two...but in the meantime, theyve posted a status on facebook using their cell phone, so theyve obviously had their phone on them.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I love ignoring texts. I ignore them all the time.

Easiest way to let someone know I don't want to talk to/and-or hang out with them.

13. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

This.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I only ignore people that I don't care to talk to.
    I humor them for a text back or two, but that's my limit.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here is the deal . . . if you require instant feedback . . . why not just call them?

Rocket River

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I get annoyed at the expected immediate return text.

my own bosses have begun the habit of texting me with specific questions that warrant a response. I play chicken with them to see how long I can go without responding and simply tell them I was working at the time. I also tell them that my texts are limited and if they would like to contribute to my plan they are more than welcome.

a simple phone call would get a one word response from me but I feel like holding my ground for some stubborn reason.

that or I'll tell them I was driving. many times this is true and there's a hands free law in my state...

17. MiddleMan

This person has ask me for favors before, yesterday she texted me a message that was intended for her bf. I don't know how but i texted her back saying that she texted the wrong person. She than texted me about if I recieved her messsage earlier. I texted no, and no reply after that. WTF? I believe they are anti social and rude.

18. Fatty FatBastard

Perhaps, but other folks can simply be dicks. One of my best friends is always doing this and it pisses me off. And for the record, I'll send him seeing what, if anything, is up, or . If he's up for something, he'll respond or be the initiator. If he's not, he won't respond. It's annoying.

19. MiddleMan

Patent Lawyer needed..

I'm done with them.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I don't she what is the problem here.