1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perkins: Morey scapegoated Melo bc of Tilman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if morey scapegoated / waived Melo and Royce unfairly then why didn't they quickly get signed elsewhere? if no one else wants you, its not Morey's fault for not wanting you either.

IvanLCPM, D-rock, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s an easy narrative. And while the facts may be accurate, I think using the term “scapegoat” is misleading. The Rockets were demonstrably better once Bzdellick returned. That was not happening with Melo around. And, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with not wanting to pay the tax for a bad team. It was the right move.

#82 theDude, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    D-rock, RocketOrg, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

It was plain as plain can be that Carmelo Anthony is delusional about his current ability. Rockets saying he didn’t fit the vision they’d assumed, is telling. It’s saying you can’t change a tigers stripes.

“He did everything we asked of him, but wasn’t a fit of what we envisioned” translates to he wasn’t grasping what was being taught by the leadership and coaching... Guys like Anthony will tell you they know how to play basketball, and don’t need Daryl’s input... but it’s Daryl talking and interviewing hundreds and thousands of ex players, scouts, GMs, etc and putting all the information together... it’s not Darryl Morey playing video games and making this stuff up.

Analytics is about mining the information from the players themselves. It’s not reinventing the wheel.

One of the first things Morey said when he was hired to be GM, you need stars to win in this league. Morey never said I can take the Bad News Bears and make ‘em Champions.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And several times they have been proven to be false or misleading.

Tilman forced Morey on Westbrook …. turns out Morey was working on the deal before Tilman knew of the possibility.

Reeko, vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Less Perkins pls.

jcf likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems we will believe any and everyone
    as long as they speak negative about the Rockets and Tillman

Rocket River

jcf, vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LMAO!!!! JR from the Top Rope with that graphic! Gracious!

J.R. likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Are you kidding me with this, Royce White?

jcf and D-rock like this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No it wasn't. The Rockets sucked in bench points & rebounding. Lack of rebounding ultimately cost us against GS. Melo is a great rebounder & instant offense off the bench. Cutting Melo hurt more than help us

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

All that rebounding and instant offense, yet the team was 10 points better per game when he was OFF the court.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo... Melo was kicked to the curb to entice Bzdelik to return... since MDA and his staff obviously had no clue on defense...

...its so obvious.... Melo got Bzdelik fired from his hc position in Denver... Melo joins Rox - and Bzdelik abruptly retires... Bzdelik returns - and Melo gets jettisoned..

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Harden missed games early on... and Melo was typically runnin with the likes of MCW and James Ennis...
    I'm not saying that Melo was even starter quality... but I believe he could have been acclimated and been beneficial.... but MDA had no interest in making it work...

13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The whole team was ultimately worse than it was the year prior. Harden, CP, EG & Capela ALL played terrible during the first 10 games. How accountable is guy coming to a new team, new system w/ no defensive coordinator? You guys are making up silly narratives because you never liked Carmelo Anthony. He's been blacklisted for non basketball reasons and he even said it

kjayp likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a rabid owner for sure.

15. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Who gives a rats ass about Melo?! He made millions off the game of basketball and never gave a damn about anymore but himself on the court. He was always a self-absorved overrated player in my opinion. Now he’s whining about his situation in Houston with the backing of another washed up retired player in Perkins who was also overrated during his NBA days. Geez, seems like we can create drama out nothing. Melo’s done. He’s been done. He was done when he arrived in Houston. No one wants to sign him anymore than they want to sign Jeremy Lin.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

So because Melo says it, it's true?

How about Royce White? Do you take his word for everything as well?

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Thank you. I can tell you actually watched the first 10 games like I did. The whole team was a mess & you could tell MDA wanted no part in integrating Melo

kjayp likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lol. Social media goal attained! Royce White just called me a "WEENIE" on Twitter.

D-rock and biff17 like this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Ppl have been saying this before he confirmed it lol. I saw it coming when reports came out the Rockets wanted his commitment to come off the bench, before even signing him. How do you ask somebody to agree to a bench role before training camp starts? The Rockets wanted this spectacle & had no plans of keeping Melo. This was a way of embarrassing the guy

20. alethios

alethios Member

Did you ask him how his career was going?

D-rock and topfive like this.