1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pentagon: US dropped largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Trump doing what he said he would do

3. Nook

Nook Member

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

We are bombing ISIL. whats confusing you?

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It seems excessive for the intended target. It might have been a message as well as strategic. Hopefully they did their research and made sure no cities were nearby.

Has anyone said what the TNT yield was?

6. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[deleted]

#8 Brando2101, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. tallanvor

What would bombing ISIL have to do with Russia? The escalation in military activity comes form Syria using chemical weapons on its citizens (this demands some kind of response) and North Korea being aggressive with their nuclear threats (also demands a response).

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trump's favorability moved up after the Syrian bombing...

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That isn't even close to accurate. Do you even maths bro?

11. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

The size of the bomb is just a PR stunt, we never used it before and there probably wasn't a strategic reason to do it now. Plus, everyone is focused on this bomb crap when the real B.S. is escalation along the Polish border, which has been stirring for a year now. I thought the jerk was against NATO? Wth hell happened?
    My issue is that the fat orange bas**rd is a muppet that can be convinced by anyone or anything, and that goes bigly for the neocons he constantly hangs out with. He's just escalating on everything, and if his favorabilities keep going up he'll just keep doing more of the same, on every issue, cuz he's got a brain the size of a peanut, not to mention no moral center, ethics, or principles.

Obviously I could be wrong, but it takes so little for sh** to hit the fan and suck everyone into war.

12. tallanvor

so you are against bombing ISIS?

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think people are confusing several different "Foreign Policy" issues into one.

All signs point to this being tied back to the same war US forces have been fighting since 2002. These tribes in Afghanistan pledge allegiance to whoever at the time is holding the most cash in the region, but its probably less confusing if we just call this group Al Qaeda. I think it would make more sense to just think of this as the same war against the Taliban we've been fighting for years led by different Generals with different Missions than those fighting ISIS in Iraq & Syria.

Also there was a firefight around this area just the other day that led to a US military official getting killed. Kind of signals there was a longstanding initiative to target this area since Obama was in office.

Doubt this was related to sending a message to Russia, Assad, Kim Jung, etc. and more to do with them not wanting to send any more troops in for hand to hand combat. Especially with so many caves & tunnels that would make it treacherous to go in on foot. I think we would be giving Trump too much credit for a massive global strategy if we theorized a connection to NATO, Russia, etc.

Knowing Trump, not knowing the difference between bombing Iraq vs. Syria, I think hes just like...."They said lets bomb Pakistan... We were eating the best steak I've ever seen at one of beautiful 5 star resort properties that you can sign up to visit to this Spring for a great price.... and I was like lets use the biggest most beautiful bomb we have... like the best bomb you've seen.....and the world is now going to be the Greatest Earth you've ever known... but boy I inherited A MESS from Obama"

(joke...but still the verbal slip the other day lets you know that his head is probably spinning with Middle East issues).

14. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

If the US military is planning and organizing the strike, then yes. Their accuracy is abysmal, it was abysmal against Obama and it's only gotten worse since. And Trump calling the shots just makes sh** worse. The military is like a fat clumsy oaf that is just constantly stepping on leggos and crashing into crap in the Middle East.

15. tallanvor

what the most accurate military in the world in your opinion?

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wow. shocking to see.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When a president wanes in popularity, one of the easiest things he can do is to go bomb some ****. The war-hawks will come out in support no matter what, and the debate is simplified. I hope beyond hope that these attacks are being heavily considered from all angles in the White House. Trump's lack of study and scientific rationality makes me weary of these military actions. I don't want to see any of our soldiers, marines or sailors in an even crappier situation.

CometsWin and Yung-T like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a message to the North Korean leadership. That's obvious, in my opinion. Unless we went nuclear, these would be used extensively to take out the NK leadership. That's assuming that we know where they are. A B-2 could drop one and they wouldn't know it until the damn thing hit. We have 20 operational B-2's, although some may be in the process of being upgraded (we're doing that), and could use them all at once, if we wanted to. I'm of the opinion that these would be very accurate. No point in having them, otherwise. NK and Iran are the main reason we built them. Have to have good intelligence on the target, though, or you could be blowing up a hell of a lot of rocks.

#19 Deckard, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Roc Paint likes this.
  19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

What president isn't that?