1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PC or PS2(or XBox, etc.)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Live, May 31, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Live

Live Member

I'm trying to decide whether to get one of the new game systems or start buying games for my PC?

A few years after I bought my PS and quite a few games, I swore that I wouldn't buy another game system again. I realized that I could've invested the money used for the games and the system in a PC, that I could play games on the PC if I wanted to, and thus a PC is much more functional.

My question is, Is this a logical way of thinking about game systems? Are there advantages to having a game system rather than playing games on a PC?

The main thing that I'm looking at is that playing games on my PC will take up valuable memory. But then again upgrading my PC could take care of that and could still be cheaper than a PS2 or XBox.

Thoughts?

------------------

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you want Good Games go for the PS2 , If you want Performance go for PC games or an XBox . The only problem with PC Games is finding the right controller, X-Box will have to make alot of games themselves (like Sony did in 1996) Before they can get alot of third party licenses . And PS2 is going to make Tony Hawk 3 playable online which is cool . Nintendo GameCube is also coming out for Christmas if you prefer Nintendo Games .

------------------

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Live, I'm not really into computer games, so I can't really give you any advice on that.

but as far as the consoles go... I would say PS2 is the safest bet so far, but I would wait a while to see what X-Box and Gamecube have to offer before making a decision.

I bought a DreamCast for cheaper than any of those systems and 10 great games(PSO, Grandia2, Skies of Arcadia, NBA2k1, Nfl2k1, Sonic, etc) used for 20 bucks a pop and that'll keep me content for at least a couple of years till the console wars have determined a clear favorite and their prices have gone down(and once they get more than a couple of enjoyable games).

And I still have a backlog of good games to play on my Playstation [​IMG]

------------------
    snap crackle pop

4. Live

Live Member

Thanks for the responses, moe & Crisco.

Let me add that 90% of the games that I play are sports games. The other 10% is anything produced by SquareSoft (FF, Bushido, etc.).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Live (edited May 31, 2001).]

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I cant wait for Madden and NBA Live 2002 this year on PS2 ,

Bushido Blade 2 for PS1 is still one of the best games I have ever played .

Gran Turismo 3 will be the most realistic racer ever Im sure .

Im not much for RPG's though so thats why I dont really get into the PC Games .

A dreamcast for 100 bucks and cheap games is a pretty good deal too most people would take that over a new PS1.

------------------

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I understand, moestavern, Microsoft and the X-Box already has a great deal of PC software companies signed up to make games for the X-Box. That is one of the reasons I would be interested in one.

But I doubt I would ever buy a game system again... I go with the PC games, and am very happy. All the games that I play are only fun if I have a the keyboard there to make control easier.

But then again, that's just me. I may be wrong. [​IMG]

------------------
    What is daylight savings time? And if we are saving so much of it, who's got it all?
    - Mike Warnke

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Exactly , Ive had my PS2 for 3 months and I won't buy a Game for it until Gran Turismo 3 comes out because of the crappy games they have out now . Metal Gear 2 should be out soon , there is a playable demo on the game Zone Of Enders .

------------------

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I like my original Atari box... who can beat that square box with a handle for a controller?
    better yet... my pong box with game and controllers all in one!
    [​IMG]

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

[This message has been edited by rockHEAD (edited May 31, 2001).]

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I myself can't wait for Nintendo's GameCube which will also carry quite a few Sega games.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

XBox is gonna have NBA Live 2k2 [​IMG]

------------------

11. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

So is the PC, and PS2.

------------------
    "Blind dates suck. When they told me she had long dark hair all the way down her back, they fogot to mention none of it was attached to her head. She really did have long dark hair all the way down her back."

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I heard that the XBox controller is huge and unwieldy, which makes it hard to reach all the buttons.

I'm looking forward to the Gamecube, personally. Specifically, the new Metroid game!

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

13. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

PS2=good games?!

Maybe in a year or two, but they only have about 3 great games right now.

Xbox will have way more better games at launch than the PS2 did. In fact, Xbox will probably quickly surpass Sony in the amount of good, quality games.

My understanding is that writing games for Xbox and Dreamcast (RIP) are way easier than writing for the PS2. Dreamcast is based on Windows, so all of the current DC games will easily be ported over to Xbox.

Sony really screwed up by doing all that mega-advertising and then under-delivering the machines. Not to mention that SS and Madden were the only 2 great games that came out when the system did. Do they even have any games out now that can touch those 2 games. What happened to Metal Gear 2? Did that ever come out?

It's a damn shame that DC had to fold. Not only were the games better and more interesting, they usually looked much better than all of the PS2 games that first came out.

I don't doubt that PS2 will eventually have some great quality games, but when?!

------------------

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

X Box is cool and has a lot of good launch titles.

But the best game coming out this year is for the PC called Conquest Frontier Wars.

Check out www.strategyplanet.com and look up Conquest.

It is a Fleet based RTS...and it rules.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

You don't think your little biased Dak do you?

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What Biased? Me Smeg?

Never !!!

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

ok, I just got my ps2 and madden 2001. I have heard that Sony produced these so quick that their may be glitches. Well, the background on my game is kind of blurry. Is something wrong ? Could it be my tv ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."