1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Building] Building a new gaming rig

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fallenphoenix, Jul 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's predicted that prices will drop in April when tariffs go down. Also, GPUs haven't been as desirable to miners lately due to prices dropping and some manufacturers limiting cards from mining.

But who knows, honestly. I'm happy I bought my 3060 Ti FE when they launched.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yea, if I can get a 3070 I'd be golden. The new series of cards coming out from Nvidia and AMD with their new chiplet process could heat your home and I don't have a dryer outlet I can use to supply my PSU. I'm about to bite the bullet and pay for a PS5 on eBay...:(

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's why I didn't get the TI. lol. I got a 1080.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, man PS5 I don't think I have even seen yet (in stock), but I'm sure it's really good! I think it's been harder to find than GPUs, but definitely agree with you. I am hopeful windows directstorage will start loading stuff like ps5 is capable of.

I mean I know pc's are pretty much always ahead but that was something that I thought was really neat to have consoles loading games so fast. If you get one, definitely let me know how it is. If you did find a reasonable priced 3070, do you still need to upgrade the rest of your pc?

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I keep holding out hope etherium proof of stake will cause cards to fall faster but I have been hearing that for a while now.... Sooner than later though it should happen.

I mean while there's other currencies that can be mined at 100% - people with LHR cards are still mining etherium since it makes sense even at the 70-75% unlock (initially it was only 50%). Such a mess though, basically perfect storm of stock/tariffs/mining/gaming/more money to spend in some cases from being more at home etc etc etc. Really hoping things normalize sooner rather than later though.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I am perfectly happy with my Radeon RX 570.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Nah, the rest of my PC is set I just need to find a new GPU.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very nice man, hopefully you get a reasonable priced gpu soon!

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did you just buy all the other parts before the GPU? I was going to do that, but decided against it since I couldn't tell when sanely-priced GPUs would be in stock. I read a lot tech forums and reddit, and there are a lot of people that started buying stuff over a year ago expecting GPU prices to come back, and they're still sitting on the parts or have since sold them after getting tired of waiting. The GPU is pretty much going to be the trigger for my next build... unless, God-forbid, this machine croaks on me.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yep, my previous PC died so I went ahead and ordered parts for a new one. Asus Prime x570-p, 3900X, 32GB RAM, NVME 1TB, 14TBs of SATA HD's, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi expansion card...I'm set on this one. Glad I bought that mining RX 580 8GB off eBay 2 years ago or I'd be screwed.

Still looking for a PS5 also but the hours I work I rarely get to play games...

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What kind of case are you using? That's my biggest decision nowadays. I've been using the same case since 2011. Definitely going to get a new one. I'm a fan of quiet cases and definitely not a huge fan of most of the stuff I see that look like aliens decided to design a case or look like tin cans that probably sound like jet engines. Not a huge fan of all the LED stuff, either.

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/masterbox-mb600l/

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nice. That's similar to the kind of case I'm kind of looking for. A quieter mid-tower that isn't too gaudy. I'm looking at stuff from CoolerMaster, Corsair, Be Quiet!, NXZT, Fractal Design, maybe Lian Li, etc. Just waiting to see what GPU I end up with. lol. Sounds so stupid nowadays.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Would highly recommend against that case, as there is very little air flow and new GPUs and Intel CPUs are basically space heaters.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'm talking more about the design/aesthetics. I'm not buying any case until I've seen some people who braved it ahead of me give some reviews on it. What I don't want is a case that's not somewhat noise-insulated and sounds like a tin can jet engine that happens to be cheap. But I'm still a ways from deciding on a case from the looks of it.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I haven't had any issues but if someone plans on buying a 4000 series GPU (when released) that can take up to 600 watts yea I'd recommend going with a different case.

larsv8 likes this.
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its a bit of a two way street, if you have a closed box, you can't hear anything but its scorching hot in there, the fans run at full speed and it doesn't perform well.

On the other hand a full mesh case, will be much cooler and the fans will run at lower RPM and create less noise. The higher quality the fan, the less you can hear them at low RPM.

Traditionally, I have always used / recommended the P400A, although I starting to suspect that it has a USB glitch with Ryzen causing USBs to periodically drop, so I am reconsidering.

I am currently running that case with some good fans in a push / pull configuration

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/pDskcf

With the p400A out, here are the guys I trust on cases: