1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce Reacts to James Harden 61 Point Performance 'Unanimous MVP This Season'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Imagine if Harden played next to 3 All-Stars? Scratch that, what if Harden played at least next to one All-Star?

Forget ‘bout it!!

Just.....Wow. Harden is amazing.

2. hakeemthagreat

Eric Gordon & PJ aren't D-Leaguers. But I understand

saleem likes this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Hek, if the Rockets didn’t start off so bad and weren’t hit so hard with the injiry bug they’d probably have the best record in the league. Just look at all the losses that should have been wins...

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I, for one, can't WAIT for Anthony Anderson's disrespectful jab this year during the award ceremony. And yes, I'm still salty about that. That douchebag took one of the greatest moments in Harden's life, and decided THAT was the time to make a "hurr durr NO DEFENSE" joke. **** that guy forever.

34to11, Hakeemtheking, B-Bob and 7 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Totally agree. Completely disrespectful.

rgw20014life likes this.
  6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait are you being serious? The X-man was legit back in the day. Was an all-star, had 5 seasons over 20ppg. He is head and shoulders better than either of those players. 13 year career with averages of 15.6ppg/6rpg/2apg/1spg as a small forward.

Hakeemtheking, B-Bob, lnchan and 2 others like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

MVP has to care about what the Lakers reporters think? (or Lakers fan reporters)
    Lakers reporters said that Rockets are on the pace to win 47 games this season. They said they are injured too.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The best part of that Orlando game was the part where afterwards someone changed the owner on the team's wiki to James Harden. I have a screen cap of it on my other computer - it was priceless.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

To be fair, half the Ringer staff probably weren't even born during Westbrook's MVP season.

Game7 likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The biggest thing holding back Harden from the MVP is Giannis and the Bucks have an EIGHT game lead on the Rockets in the loss column. Bucks have the best record in the NBA and Giannis has quality stats.

Rockets NEED to close the gap on wins. Likely need to get the #3 seed in the West at 50 wins. If the Rockets can do that, it can put Harden in a good place with the voters.

Team success counts.

Smacktle, harold bingo, BigM and 2 others like this.
  11. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The fact that Westbrook won MVP, largely on stats, sets a precedent.

Voters would look dumb not to gi Harden considering the year Westbrook won, Harden and Kawhi achieved greater team success while putting up fantastic numbers in their own right, with better efficiency.

More interestingly, not only does the precedent of stat based MVP strengthens Harden's case, but in a way lends credence to the traditional narrative for winning MVP as well. During WB's MVP season, the Thunder were healthy and its roster was comprised of NBA level players (Victor Oladipo is now an all star). Harden's Rockets have been decimated with injuries and for the past 20 or so games forced to start d-leaguers and players off waivers.

Like literally, Harden has put this team on his back. Without him, the Rockets' falls apart. They let a 12 point lead slip to 4 against the lowly Knicks in a span of maybe 2 minutes. This example isn't an anomaly, it's happened all season, illustrating the point that if Harden doesn't score outrageous video game stats, the Rockets might be the worst team in the league. That Harden is putting these incredible stats in a meaningful and impactful way demonstrates the core principle of the MVP award... and that is demonstrating value, and right now Harden is demonstrating it more so than any other players in the league.

#51 Elephant810, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Win, just win. 55+ wins in the tougher conference, plus his ridiculous numbers, would get it done. 50-54 wins -- maybe. Less than 50, doubtful.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

For sure. Harden is the best player in the NBA by far. I don’t care about MVP anymore, if he keeps up this current pace and we get to 50 wins, he probably deserves it, but I’m not as invested since he got it last year. But the current “he’s inefficient and anyone else can score like this” narrative pisses me off. I don’t care if you vote for someone else but don’t **** on this greatness. Appreciate it.

14. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I need to know immediately how you know this.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Harden is slowly winning over his haters. People are qualifying his accomplishments less and less. Some are even acknowledging his improved defense. I never thought he'd be narrative leader for MVP, but people are barely mentioning Giannis even though he's leading the team with the best record and really is a deserving candidate.

16. Roxs-Redemption

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

stats I had to look up, but I am aging myself here because I remember watching the X-man play ball.

Hakeemtheking and lnchan like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not too hard to lip read what MJ was saying :).

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I think he was saying "Nice Jordans"

20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

we still need to upgrade small forward