1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson - maybe not as bright a star as originally thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Mar 14, 2012.

1. AFS

AFS Member

It's like they say, third year is where players really come out and show what they're gonna be in the league. Give him another year and lets see what happens.

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I definitely dont think he is a bust, i think he is a solid player for where he was picked. Im just saying i dont see him getting that much better because of the reasons i stated earlier, atleast not the star in waiting ppl here were hoping for (unfairly too given where he was picked)

3. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I really wish he would be more aggressive in getting to the rim. He seems to settle for way too many jumpshots.

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The average career arc for a #14 pick is a Malik Sealy/Fred Jones/Eric Williams. Patterson is surpassing that level even while he's having a bad season. If he can ever regain last year's form (better shooting%, rebound rate, assist rate, steal rate, and block rate than this year's Patterson) he'll be one of the better #14 picks in a long time.

By all means, let's not base our future on him. But for what he is he's doing fine, and could easily revert to much better than fine when he gets healthy and a bit more aggressive.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't dunk? Really? It shouldn't matter, 2 point are 2 points. Unless you meant he literally can't dunk, which he obviously can.

He's not a great rebounder, if by great you mean 10+ boards game. With starter's minutes he can hover around 8 per, not great, but if you watch him he boxes guys out of the play. That's one reason he's not in position to grab 10 boards a game.

Not sure where you get he's soft and doesn't play strong...not aggressive as he can be, maybe, but he's not soft.

He also blocks shots. A power forward could get 15 and 10 and not block shots and people wouldn't complain. He's only been in the league a season and a half. Most teams, if not all, would gladly take a PF who could give them 12/8/1 as a starter a season and a half into his career.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not expecting karl malone, But I was expecting someone who was a lot tougher. The way Bilas was gushing over him draft night, man this, man that, I was definitely expecting a hard nosed player at the very least. Pat is soft. There I said it...

I've been watching games closely watching Pat and Chandler since they seem to be our future (right now), and Pat just makes me scratch my head some times. He rarely boxes out effectively and gets thrown out of the way repeatedly! re-watched the thunder game and he was one of the main reasons for all the thunder tip dunks and offensive rebs. Conversely, in winning time, skinny Chandler Parsons was switched onto Ibaka and completely clears him out of the paint to secure a key rebound and a foul. Fast Forward, last play of the game and Pat is on Ibaka. Chandler gets Durant to put up a shot and once again Patterson is cleared out and Ibaka gets the offensive rebound when Pat was already in position. Luckily Pat gets the blk and is the hero, but this SAME EXACT thing happened in the nets game; Hump was demolishing him.

Pat's shot is great but he can't post up and it is frustrating. Ok, he can't post up big men, fine, but when you have smaller players on you (from last night Durant, Harden) and you can't at least body them to the basket and get a foul there is a problem.

there are other thing about Pat that make me smh, passes too much, doesn't go to the basket on pick in rolls, tries to float up shots when he is 5 feet from the basket...

Every one seems to hate Scola, whatever, but Scola brings it despite his deficiencies. He seems to be in the right position to make a play but he's just too damn un-athletic and slow.

I expect Pat to get demolished by Charlotte's front line. I'm just here to bring awareness PATTERSON 2012!

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

i didnt literally mean he cant dunk, i meant he plays so soft to where even when he is alone at the basket he lays it up, and that same softness in attitude is probably why he is a good rebounder either.

8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

when you never go hard to the paint or have some strong post moves and can only shoot the ball, thats what i mean by not playing strong and playing soft.

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

fixed

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He just needs to regain some confidence. If we manage to trade Scola, I think the extra-exposure to the court could do him a world of good, so he can workout all kinks out of his game.

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

He's quick, strong, and has good footwork. He just hasn't been able to put it all together in a low post game yet. He is working on the baby hook and sweeping hook. I see some up and under moves from him. It's obvious that he is much more comfortable facing the basket right now. He's still young and his post game is definitely something he can develop.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I have to admit, I'm a bit wary of the lengths he goes to to avoid contact, mainly because I can't help comparing him to Landry due to their similar situations, and Carl had that awesome attacking style.

Still, PPat's pretty solid, and is going to show his real potential now that he is getting his pre-surgery athleticism back.

13. AFS

AFS Member

Also, don't forget he was recovering from surgery during the offseason and probably didn't have much time to work on his game. We'd need to see what he does this offseason while healthy.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Patterson won the game last night for the Rockets when he blocked Serge Ibaka's putback to win the game mind you.

Just sayin....

Just realize that this year he has been picking up most of the Center duties off the bench. He is outsized, and out matched most nights. His strength isn't where it will be next season.

Even though Patterson is now in shape, he didnt really have a preseason to train and work on his body and athleticism. He's a gym rat from a military family. I think he's going to come back next summer a beast. Alot of NBA players say its very very hard to train during the season due the travel, diet, injuries to your upper body, etc.

That being said, he's been pretty good this year. His defense and activity on the boards has made a huge difference. He's very, very reliable unlike the Rockets other bench bigs. He's a very good bench big now, but he could get alot better over the summer and become a true, very good starting PF.

15. vince

vince Member

top notch reply. Patterson is matching up against Centers a lot. With only Dalembert and Scola the other two capable of playing center. Jordan Hill been out for a while.

Still pulling for the guy.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Patterson got to properly complete his rehab from the ankle surgery. He missed all of training camp and couldn't jump as high as he did last season. Perhaps he needs a complete offseason to strengthen his legs in order to get back to his prior level.

At leat this is what I hope, Patterson has been playing like a backseat kind of player most of the season.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Doubt is hardly HATE.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We should at least give him one or two summers .... but yeah... don't be surprised if traded. He is valuable.

19. SupermoochieFro

That's been the exact comparison I've been making all year but unfortunately I don't think he'll ever rebound as well as Haslem. Solid player which is what you hope for at #14 but then again, Haslem wasn't even drafted. Morey needs to go after some high ceiling instead of "safe" average picks.

20. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

Well said...

He is a keeper and I also feel he will develop into a starter in this league...he has all the skills needed. Hope he has the drive to get to the next level...that is the key...in my opinion.