1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patric Young

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mickey_angelo, May 10, 2014.

1. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

PF/C
    6'9"
    249 lbs

Surprised no one has mentioned him as a second round target. Limited offensively, but his defense would be a great addition to this team. Especially if Asik is traded during the offseason.

Assuming the rockets keep both picks my prefect draft would include both KJ McDaniels and Patric Young

Thoughts?

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I like his mobility. Seems like a decent pickup in the 2nd round. I worry a little bit about his rebounding numbers though.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

mehhhhhh... as a Gator alum, I've seen a lot of Patric Young. I honestly think a good comparison would be a more swole version of Joel Anthony. Undersized for his position, defense/hustle/heart player, but a COMPLETE liability on the offensive end. I've said it for a while now, he'd probably be a better NFL player. Imagine that beast playing TE or DE.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If he ends up as good as Joel Anthony, that is worth a 2nd round pick. Just as long as he isn't a Ray Lewis with a basketball.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Probably the guy that most fits our needs in the second round. Could perhaps be Asik‘s replacement as our defensive big off the bench/howard back up. Last time we picked a senior gator in the second round things worked out pretty well...

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. I believe Morey has scouted him in person multiple times over the past 2-3 years. He's a legit target at #42. I would not be at all surprised if the Rockets select him.

The comparisons to Joey Dorsey seem pretty good, actually . . . although Young doesn't have the same "knucklehead" element to him that Dorsey had.

Also, FWIW, Dorsey has gone on to become one of the better big men in Europe and could totally contribute to an NBA team right now, but he's making more money playing overseas. My gripe with Morey's selection of Dorsey at the time had more to do with the other centers available -- namely, Omer Asik and DeAndre Jordan -- than Dorsey's own ability.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

His defensive rebounding is poor, but is a good defender overall.

8. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_a7CMdsz3Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

mirin?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its like looking in the mirror ..... LOL

Seriously though... the guy has a great bodyframe and mindset to come right in to a team like the Rockets and be that energy big off the bench. If he's available 42 I'd be hard pressed to pass this guy up seeing as though Asik's days could be numbered in Houston and he's someone that can step right in and contribute without needing years of development.

11. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I am a Gator fan and so I have had the pleasure of watching him play for a while now. I love his game, he is a hustle player who is built to bang with anyone. A bit undersized at center but his strength and his basketball IQ more than make up for it. And if you want to talk to a guy who will keep away from the pressures that can present themselves then talk to him, he has a great moral meter. He will be very coachable and be an excellent locker room guy. Did I mention that he is probably one of the smartest student athletes in SEC history. I would love seeing the Rockets pick him up!

1 person likes this.
  12. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Went undrafted and we should really try and pick him up for our summer league team. Could be a nice grab for when we're low on cap space after signing LeBron. ;)

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Why haven't we signed young yet

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wow, young is seriously shredded, his body is insanely well built for being freaking 6 foot 9 and only 22 years old.

I wonder why he hasn't been signed by a anybody yet, if I remember correctly over the last 2 or 3 drafts, there is usually about 3 to 5 players who go undrafted that are immediately signed within hours after the draft. I would think Young would be one of those guys this year, why haven't i herd of anybody being signed yet?

Also, what in the hell happened to James McAdoo? I remember he was projected to go top 3 at one point a couple of years ago. He also went undrafted.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Young would be a good fit next to D-Mo off the bench.

Love the intangibles (character & hustle) and physicality Young would bring to a young Rockets team that is defensively challenged.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He could be like Ray Lewis with a basketball (and basketball skills).

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

I just dont see us not picking this guy up. Now that Omer is gone, who do we have to spell Dwight? This guy can play the role of backup 5 tomorrow and be productive. Im no scout but Id venture he is already a better player than Greg Smith.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that the Rockets have interest in Young. However, there are competing circumstances here that might be keeping the Rockets from getting him.

Right now, I'd imagine that several NBA teams are trying to get Patric Young in for summer league and that he has received at least one or two contract offers that include varying levels of guaranteed money. He will probably get a deal similar to the one the Rockets gave Robert Covington last year: a fully guaranteed first year, with a partially-guaranteed second year.

But the Rockets may now be in a position where they would prefer a VETERAN come in as a backup to Dwight. My guess is that several pretty serviceable NBA vets would gladly sign with the Rockets this summer for the veteran's minimum, especially if they thought they had a legit shot at taking Asik's spot in the rotation.

If the Rockets think they can add a veteran who (at least for next season, a valuable season in the Rockets' window of championship contention) would be better than Patric Young, they may be hesitant to offer much guaranteed money to Young. Unless they are confident that Young would earn one of the team's 15 roster spots next season, signing him could cost the team some money it would prefer to spend elsewhere.

While I'm one of the many who would love to add Patric Young, I also understand the negotiations that go on at this time (immediately after the draft and leading up to summer league) and realize that the team's interests may not be perfectly aligned with Young's.

I still hope they can work something out, though.

19. domd221

domd221 Member

what if he's the next Ben Wallace?

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

I appreciate that Morey is seeking to clear as much cap space as possible to make an offer to the litany of quality free agents in July. I just question whether or not we are setting ourselves up for a situation like Miami wherein we haven't covered ourselves with the type of reasonable help a quality took can provide. I am hoping for Young but would certainly be amenable to someone like Okafor should he be healthy and interested with coming home.