1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Passan] Luhnow and Hinch suspended one year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

GIVE 'EM THE DEATH PENALTY!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It wasn’t me mufas.....

4. Screaming Fist

I agree that it was maybe a 2-3 wins and likely contributed nothing to the postseason. Even if sign stealing had the same benefit in the postseason as it did in the regular season (on a per game basis) in the postseason such a small advantage would have been totally washed out by the variance that comes into play in the postseason. Why keep doing it at that point following Manfred's warning in September of that season? Why bother in 2018 given the gap between the Astros and the rest of the division?

5. Nook

Nook Member

The commissioner needed the cooperation of the players to conduct the investigation. Without an understanding that the players would not be punished, the investigation would not have been a success otherwise.

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

When do you think we'll hear about other teams' sanctions, if any, Nook?

As to needing players to cooperate, that's true, but nothing says MLB couldn't do a preliminary investigation, ID the alleged ringleaders, and only give immunity from punishment to players who would agree to give evidence against those ringleaders.

I still think it was the threat of collective legal action by the Players Union that stayed Manfred's hand.

raining threes likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

I'm most surprised by how much it was player initiated, any ideas who? I'd imagine the older ones like Beltran. Can't see McCann but who knows?

8. TheresTheDagger

If true, its a bizarre way to run an investigation.

But when you think about the goals MLB had, it makes total sense. The goals are 1) Ensure they stop the practice of cheating cold. 2) Avoid conflict with the players association. 3) Send a message to all clubhouses to closely monitor their organization in the future.

One thing it was not meant to do was punish all of those most responsible. This part enrages me. Special rules for specific people exist and will never sit right with me.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Beltran and Cora were the leaders. Everyone in the dugout was aware of it.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And Beltrán gets to manage next year and Hinch’s career and reputation are ruined. Seems fair!

gatsby, mikol13, msn and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The investigation was to protect the competitive nature of the game... appease other very angry organizations and to send a message not to get caught cheating and embarrass the league. Not surprising that one of the owners of the league was given an out and cleared of all culpability (if he had any).

The investigation was never about being fair. The league “had to investigate” and wasn’t happy about it.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mayor Turner's statement on the Houston Astros

HOUSTON - Please attribute the following statement to Mayor Sylvester Turner.

"Being loyal fans of Houston sports teams means that we stand with them in good times and during times of challenge. Today is a difficult day. As a city, we extend our hearts to an Astros' organization that is hurting.

"The Houston Astros carried us on their shoulders during the 2017 World Series championship season. We will never forget how they played with passion and made us proud.

"Now, it is our turn to carry the Astros on our shoulders and lift the owner, coaches, and players as they focus on moving the organization beyond this challenge.

"I commend Houston Astros' owner Jim Crane for going over and above what was required by Major League Baseball.

"As a city, we look forward to the start of spring training and the next season.

The Astros are world class champions on and off the field at all times."

gatsby, raining threes and BigShasta like this.
  13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Now that Bauer has to hit in the NL an Astros pitcher needs to put one in his back next season.

14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

What a ****ing troll

[​IMG]

#314 RustyHarden, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    BigM likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

2.27 ...... that is how much Trevor Bauer’s era increased last year.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Lunhows response is unacceptable. He shifted the blame and covered his own ass. That’s not leadership. You go down with the ship.

Hinch response is better, but he didn’t say anything about correcting the problem.

Bauer can say anything he wants. All we did is prove him right. Which sucks, but now he gets the high road. There’s no reason not to believe him now. Sucks, but the truth is out there now.

Cora and Beltran will get the hammer shortly, but the Astros got what they deserved. We cheated and got caught. The penalty is not that bad. We should have a lot more player suspensions.

In the end nobody outside of Houston cares. What will sting is that Houston fans can’t hold our title over anyone because the comeback is, you cheated, and there is nothing we or they can say. Could impact the HOF votes as well. It just is what it is now.

18. right1

right1 Member

Of course Manfred grew up in upstate New York and is a lifelong Yankees fan. I find it hard to believe that Cashman and Boone would have been suspended at all or that so many draft picks would have been taken away. I really hope his hand is eventually forced to punish the Yankees in some form or another.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Seriously banging a trash can? That seemed fool proof. The whole thing just looks stupid for the Stros and overreaction by the league.

20. HouClone

HouClone Member

After the game.

Julia Morales: "Alex, I was sitting at my usual spot and kept hearing banging from inside the dugout. What was that all about?"

After a pause,

Cora: "Don't worry about it."