1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parks & Recreation [Season 3]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rhino17, Jan 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Best character on tv. Swanson eating the 4th graders lunch to teach her about government taxes was fantastic.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That was awesome!

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Modern Family's been pretty ho hum lately I agree. I knew that Ron dancing would be a gif right when I saw it. It's like the show knows what will meme out.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i just started watching this show a couple of weeks ago. half way through season 2. awesome so far. i've actually put my scrubs marathon on hold for it.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

*cringe*

6. Relentless

Relentless Member

Just watched the latest episode.

Great episode. Jean Ralphio and Tom are great together

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Good to see NBC living up to its name, nothing but c***suckers, screwing its two best shows Community and Parks and Recreation next year by sticking them at the 8pm slot vs Big Bang Theory (most likely), and Simon Cowell's X-Factor. I don't know whether to be happy that NBC sucks so that good TV can stay on the air, or be angry that the new boss is setting them up to fail on purpose...

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...atism-donald-trump-and-one-last-year-of-chuck

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The sad thing is that "Big Bang Theory" sucks horribly compared to those shows.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Theory is in a transitional enough phase plot and character-wise that it could begin to falter, like Mad About You after the pregnancy. American X-Factor is technically an unknown quantity in what one would hope is a fading genre. And Thursday ad dollars are bigger regardless of the network (due to movie trailers), so maybe NBC is just practicing good business and giving both shows the opportunity to make more money. Even irrespective of all of that, your post seems a bit much.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe, but it's a tentpole show. The age of the cast and relative novelty of the geek/fanboy archetype appeals to younger viewers, and its accomodation of social/intellectual and low-grade ethnic stereotypes locks in older viewers. And the Dwayne Wayne/Whitley Gilbert opposites attract love story provides a multi-season story arc.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great work by the writers and april getting in a Jeff Mangum reference... just awesome

this series 3 is just outstanding every week, really struggle to think of better comedy on right now

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thank you. I've only seen a few episodes of BBT, but it was one of the worst TV shows I've seen. I guess people need laugh tracks to help them when the show completely falls short of comedy.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I wouldn't say it is a complete wast, Jim Parson's character is one of the best on tv (although very similar John Lithgow's in 3rd Rock from the Sun), I will watch episodes that feature him, however the rest of the characters are most of the plots are completely unbearable

15. finalsbound

yeah "Big Bang Theory" is watchable i'd say but nowhere near the level of P&R/Community.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

BBT is fine, just not Community and P&R quality. The internet favorite 'laugh track' criticism is old and busted by this point.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Ron Swanson very will could be the greatest character ever created in television history.

This season has been fantastic so far

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of both BBT and P&R. Don't really care for Community though.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

TV in general frustrates me in that a tiny fraction of the dumbest people with the least going on in their lives are the ones who get to decide what everyone else is watching. Really, time slots shouldn't matter at all with DVR, Hulu and AppleTV, but the logic the network heads seem to use on a show is baffling to me. Parks and Recreation breaks out like The Office did in its 2nd season, stays on to shoot 6 additional episodes with a marketable guest/perma-star in Rob Lowe, and has the very unique vehicle of SNL to promote Amy Poehler. And what do they do? Bump it for Outsourced, a show that was DOA and wasted the post Office slot. So they return P&R to the slot midseason when all the momentum is lost, and blame the show for bad ratings, so they can move it out of its most logical time slot. I just don't get their strategy.

I'll give full credit to NBC for even ordering and supporting Community; the show is definitely weird and niche, but doesn't that weirdness play better late at night, and not against the other "geek bonus" show? As long as NBC is happy with drawing a small audience and doesn't use it as a justification to cancel the show (like Chuck), then I'm fine with it. However, something tells me that Kabletown is going to be much more concerned with raw numbers and big hits that it can leverage into gouging Time Warner and AT&T for NBC access.

20. finalsbound

Just a heads up, 2 new episodes tonight at 9 including the season finale