1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

5 out is the modern NBA.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't see why that question is relevant?

If you don't think any of them can be MVP then what?

Or do you take the guy that has the best chance at MVP if he reaches his full potential?

I really don't understand why that question would be on the top of anybodies mind, there have what 5 different MVP's over the last 15 years?

Yung-T and wlekfjv923n like this.
  3. larry cook

larry cook Member

While Pablo is more NBA ready and can score with the best of them. Fit wise Jabari and Chet would be our typical dream picks. Both guys play well off the ball. While watching Pablo I noticed the ball tends to get sticky during his possessions. Kpj and Green who rely heavily on touches needs guys who can play within the flow of the game, we have a post Guru in Sengun who also needs his touches. Sengun also needs help from the weakside in which Pablo lacks defensively. Pablo fits great with Detroit or Orlando considering both teams are in dire need of scorers. The perfect fit next to Pablo are players like Ayton, Gobert, or Embid atheletic bigs that can mask his defensive liabilities. Senguns perfect fit are players like, Bosh, Draymond, or Mobley. defensively athletic hybid power fowards that move like small forwards. Luckily for us if we land 1 or 2 there's two guys who fit the bill perfectly. Both guys can spread the floor and one is a bonafide sniper. This will help with floor spacing while a combo of Pablo and Sengun would not only get in each others way but clog the lane for Green and Kp.

rpr52121, Yung-T, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The ball got sticky because there was nobody else to create offense, only 1 other guy on that team could create his own shot consistently, they lost in the final 4 because Griffin could not buy a basket.

I don't know what you think Sengun has proven to think we need to pick a guy at the top of the draft to fit around him and Sengun is my favorite player on this team.

A two man game with bigs as skilled as Banchero and Sengun would be unstoppable, and Banchero is more of a wing than a paint guy.

Even with Wood out Sengun spent a lot of time on the perimeter, so I don't get what you are saying.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great posts guys. I don’t know wtf to think.

Can we just draft them all?

Jabari
    Paolo
    Chet

would make a great front court lol

D-rock, jiggyfly, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Every Rockets player has to play on perimeter.

Rockets run a 5 out offense.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amazing post. Nailed it.

That said, I will be the biggest Banchero homer ever If we draft him.

Mobley peons take note.

red5rocket, jiggyfly, Boii and 4 others like this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Absolutely not. I'm Jabari Smith only and every mistake Paolo makes I will **** on him like there's no tomorrow while calling him the worst player in the NBA.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So this refutes Jiggy opinion that Chet is a catch and shoot only player. Paolo has more catch and shoot in him than led to believe, doesn’t sound like a “playmaker”

Seriously speaking, they both can play off ball. Chet is just better off ball and more of a threat in different spots.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Wood can average 20/10 then so can Chet.

Similar players offensively except Chet is higher IQ.

And defensively they are a Universe apart.

Rudyc281, Yung-T, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what those stats are supposed to say.

Seem pretty random to me, what am I missing?

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It's more than possessions just get sticky with Pablo. His biggest strength is getting his own shot, but I didn't see natural instincts for passing or creating shots for his teammates. For prospect who will already have a lot questions on the defensive side of floor, that is a red flag for me when there is other top prospects like Chet and Jabari. Especially, in an NBA era where finding and exploiting mismatches has become nearly universal.

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm curious with so much being made of Chet's (and Wembanyama for next years draft) body style/frame, were similar reservations made about Ralph Sampson when he was a prospect?

Yes he had the college production to overcome any potential negatives, but they seem built about the same. I didn't get to see Sampson live pre-injuries so I'm presuming Sampson was a better athlete than these guys but it was a comp that I have been wondering about?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are examples of that in this thread, and he was the leading assist guy on the team.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wendell Moore was the leading assist guy on the team

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The most championship level teams have an elite star that are at least above average on both defense and offense, often with prior accolades of all defense team selections. Some get by with just an exceptional DPoY guy to make up for their other stars, and generally those offensive stars were game altering a la Steph. The only major exception I can even think of for recent years may be when Dallas beat a choking Miami. I already have doubts if Green or Sengun can become that level of defensive player.

Banchero he definitely has not moved the needle defensively. I've seen some potential for him to get to average, but no one is saying he will be above average. So if he can't help fill that void, just being a good passer or shot creator for others may not be enough.

Yes he could definitely become like a 20-10-5 guy who gets a team to the playoffs every year, but I just don't see a high percentage of a ceiling beyond that.