1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Overcooked Rice!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Nov 10, 2001.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its early and everyone will point to that as being part of the problem, but to me, Glen looks real bad. He has no lift on his shot, his limited quickness, is even more limited, and he can't hit the open shot. I know we didn't want Anderson, but for the same money we could have had Eddie Robinson . I like Glen, but where are his strengths? They say he can post up, but his lift is so low, that now he can be easily defended. He can't go by anyone because of the past achilles strain that he had. Maybe New York didn't want Anderson, but they'll rather have a young energetic bench player, than a old used to be whining.

Is it me or does our 3's continually suck under Rudy? From Bob Horry to Scottie Pippen to Shandon to Rice. You would think that since he played the 3 spot in his day that he would try to involve this clone, but it seems like all our 3 's are to do is stand on the 3pt line and shoot 3's. this is suppose to be the most atheletic player on the roster, yet we get stand stills. Maybe sooner or later Rudy will lose his patience with Rice and play Morris more.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yes I agree Rice isnt doing good right now. But shandon wouldnt either.

Rudy wants his sfs to shoot 3s and only that. With Rice, thats all you are going to get. He will post up a couple times or shoot 3s. Hes not young anymore. He has gotten older and slower. I just think Walt Williams should get dealt, because hes Rices clone except weaker.

3. leebigez

Maybe wthats why Walt is playing so much. I look in the west, and we have the weakest 3 spot in the league next to Bruce Bowen in SA. I mean walt and Rice can't do ****. We were had, bamboozeled, hood winked!!!!

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Glad to see you gave Rice a whole 2 weeks to get into shape, get his shot back and learn the system.

<b>Maybe New York didn't want Anderson, but they'll rather have a young energetic bench player, than a old used to be whining.
    </b>

When has Rice whined as a Rocket? He has been quiet and trying to fit on the team. Meanwhile you would take Shandon Anderson!? Shandon's a good guy, but what is he doing in New York? I'm young and energetic to, but I'm not on an NBA roster. You like Rice, but you just tore the guy apart without even given him as much as 1 month to fit on to a new team, learn a new system with players he has never played with before, while getting into shape since he missed the majority of training camp.

#4 RocksMillenium, Nov 10, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2001
  5. leebigez

Rice hasn't whinned because he hasn't done ****. I didn't want him, Walt, or Shandon truthfully. I would rather went with Morris and Langhi and see what happens, at least we wouldn't be 30mil in the hole th next 3yrs. Lets let him get used to the system, like pippen and Anderson and the other guys, but this is basketball and it doesn't take that long. He was damaged goods when we got him and now it looks like we're stuck with a Black Matt Bullard. we could have kept sorry ass walt for that.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

And I say that you would rather see the Rockets be a lottery team again because TMo and Boney aka Langhi are not ready to start for a playoff hopeful team right now in this stage of their careers.

Now they would be great on the Bulls or the Warriors or Grizzlies...

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rice has not shown up on the floor, but to call him a whiner would be far from the truth.

He has been a huge locker room addition. He was named a co-captain, and from what he has said, Rudy has said, and Cato has said, he has taken Cato under his wing

He hasn't had his shot falling, but he enjoys it as a Rocket, and that was evidenced by his outward emotion when he had a streak going. To his credit, his passing has been better than advertised, and it has not been his man going off on the Rockets. He is slower than before, but he has played decent positional defense, and seems to be one of the leaders of our transition defense. (He had some quotes saying he would help bring defensive concepts to the Rockets).

Rice has never had a lot of lift on his shot.

It's helpful for Steve, Cuttino, and Eddie to have a veteran all-star around that knows what to do, and can express it to them. And before anyone mentions Dream, Hakeem seemed to have some kind of problem with handing over the torch and taking a backseat to the young guns, and was never a vocal leader anyhow.

It's too early to call him a waste yet. He hasn't fulfilled his contract, but the season is young, and he didn't have a full training camp. I can't see Glen going through an entire season of shooting like this.

8. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

It's too early to call him a waste yet. He hasn't fulfilled his contract, but the season is young, and he didn't have a full training camp. I can't see Glen going through an entire season of shooting like this.

You are right NIKEstrad, Rice is a gunner with his leggs under him. I can see the different in his shot. He got good rotation on his shot, so all he needs is to get his leggs back and learn were he fit in on the court. Some of you whatbe ballas, that haven't played a min. of ball on the court, need to chill out. It takes more than learning a system!! You can learn a system all day long, but untill you start playing with players and learning their weakness as well as their strong points, and the same for them learning you . You will be lost on the court. To compound his issue, is that he didn't get in a full training camp. Hello!!! If Moe, come back, it will take him some time. That's why I hope he come back by allstar break, cause it will take him allmost to the playoffs to feel right in the system and players. ;)