1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out God We Thrust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Dec 15, 2004.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just noticed your sig. A few things:

1. Comenius was Czech, not Dutch.
    2. He did not say what you quoted, that was/is the motto of the Moravian Church of which he was a part.
    3. Calling him a Bishop is a bit misleading because the Moravian Church is not really part ofRoman Catholic history. As such, he should only be identified as a Bishop in the Moravian Church. He was also their president for a little while.

Oh, and don't talk bad about Wilhelm. He was wrongly sent to prison. That is mean.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. but he WANTED to be Dutch. he dated attractive women and was very frugal.

2. can you prove he didn't say it? sure it was the motto of the church...but i'm betting he said it from time to time.

3. he's not only the moravian chruch president...he's also a client. like sy sperling.

i'm sorry..i have nothing substantive to add...but i couldn't let those get away. ;)

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

These are good, very good.

He did die in Amsterdam; maybe he became a Dutch citizen?

It's a great sentiment, but like everything else, it is wide open to interpretation. What is "essential?"

I didn't know that he was the primary thinker behind Waldorf education...

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Haven't read a lick of the beggining of this thread and only given a cursory glance to the last two pages...

What the hell are you guys arguing about?

Rimmy, although we probably have a completely different philosohy (you never give yours
    ;) ) I still find myself chuckling at all your posts. You are obviously a good guy. What Art History program are you in?

5. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Max,

That was good stuff. Thank you. Of course you know that this thread was never about substantive posts. I have been very close to bringing up my French cheese argument again.

giddy,

Why don't you just admit that you knew nothing (or very little, if you prefer) about the quote or person in your sig. Did you get that sent to you in an email as well? Remember what my good friend Wilhelm said about the difference between the great man and the Little Man. Poser

twxyz,

If you are talking about religion then, yes, we are completely different. You are Catholic and I am aspiritual and only interested in religion academically. If you are speaking of other matters, I would have no idea. Also, I am not obviously a good guy. You just like me for some odd reason.

As to your personal question - sorry, I don't talk about such specifics on this bbs. Being less coy, I can add that I can't give a real answer, anyway, because I will be switching to a new program in the fall and am unsure which it will be. I can say that it will be in the Northeast or in the UK.

6. twhy77

You amazingly rude yet seem to have a subtle charm. I guess I've always admired that. Plus your pretty wicked smart, I'd venture to say the smartest person on the board. I admire spiritual.

7. giddyup

I never claimed to know anything about the man; I just liked the quote. I googled him after you "corrected" me. I didn't read extensively, but I contributed what I found that was "different."

Oh, and technically he wasn't Czech, was he? There was no Czech Republic back then was there? Hard to be a Czech when the Czech Republic didn't even exist. Hoser. :D

#287 giddyup, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  8. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Well, then you don't admire me because I meant a-spiritual as in "not." It is not a real word, though, so sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and don't venture to say that about me. It isn't true and only leads people to try to use it against me.

giddy,

It took you a while with the Czech thing.

So you don't mind using a quote without understanding the context or knowing who actually said it (both in who uttered it physically and who the person was who said it)? Interesting.

9. giddyup

Unlike you, I'm not looking for ways to one-up or embarass people. Yeah, it took me awhile but the irritation I was feeling for you won out. Congratulations, for getting under my skin.

BTW, you are amazing. You are trying to bust my chops over some triviality and you are "caught" in a factual error and you still act as if you have come out on top. How do you do that?

I thought the words were simple and elegant. Honestly, I think I got them in a Christmas card from the now-retired Moravian minister who married me in 1996. I felt comfortable with them.... even not knowing Comenius. I knew the man who sent them to me.

#289 giddyup, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I first heard those words at a Church in Galveston Texas. I love the quote. I thought they were part of that denomination's motto(Christian-disciples of Christ.) and just through this thread discovered otherwise.

Who said it doesn't really matter so much as the meaning behind the quote itself.

11. giddyup

rimbaud challenged my use of it in my signature without full and complete knowledge of the use, context, and authorship of the line. You would have thought I used something pastoral from Mein Kampf....

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I do know the Czech Republic did not exist in the 17th century, you know. I may be dumb, but not that dumb.

Next, I did not start out to embarass you, and this is no contest. I pointed out inaccuracies that I noticed and upon further research (to make sure he wasn't Dutch) had verified. I would not want to go around incorrectly quoting someone/something, so I thought you might like to know.

Regardless, it is a motto that has stood the test of time. And Comenius was an interesting man. You might like him if you look into it.

13. giddyup

If you knew, why did you call him Czech? I read a little but couldn't uncover any detail of his nationality other than, I guess, Moravian. Maybe the Dutch just claim him because of his greatness. At any rate, I think the Moravian Church would call him a Dutchman if my recollection of the source is correct.

I read a bit about him this evening but put it on the backburner for 24. I had an interview with a Waldorf School in Austin circa 1984-85.

Geez, rimbaud is almost getting my back...

14. twhy77

Read that wrong...

I don't know if anyone would agree with me but its my opinion and I won't espouse it too much if it makes you queasy...

I guess I admire the way I heard you talk about your wife once. I think that's what sticks in my mind, also the way you were interested in liberal education after the couple of times I mentioned it. Also, your posts, especially when you cut me down, always make me laugh. Kind of like this biatch of a Chaucer teacher I had. He could be rude as hell right to your face but you would smile because he was so correct...

15. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Because Nivnice, Moravia doesn't exist anymore. It is now the CR. It was simply easier and placed him geographically. He spent time as an exile in England and Holland...that probably is causing the confusion. My main issue, though, was that he was not the first to utter the motto.

tw,

Nothing pleases me more than having my positions/arguments/philosophy torn apart. I guess my background "programmed" me to be that way, I don't know.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm and nice words, I just am uneasy whenever people say those types of things. I don't mind moderate compliments, but you get the idea.

I have this one friend who is pretty timid and often intimidated by me (due to his illogica perception of me and my meanness). I mention this because he loves my wife. We didn't know why then we realized that it is because when they have spent time together just the two of them she generally makes fun of me and talks about me in a condescending nature. He cannot imagine doing that, so it is great fun for him. That is one of the major reasons I love my wife.

16. twhy77

There's something else, I've done my BBS history and seen the threads were you would get into lenghty conversations with this Plato guy about God and such. Quite a difference from the way you post now, although you still post, unlike most of the people from back then. You're annoyed by most of the people who come on here yet you still hang around. I think that's pretty cool. Plus I've actually read some Rimbaud...musical phrase...I remember a quote about that somewhere...but I march through works like a soldier as Nietzsche would say...

17. rimbaud

Supporting Member

How so? More involved or nicer/meaner? I don't really remember, but I was more active before.

18. twhy77

More involved, not so fed up with the idiots (like myself). Much more civil argumentation (all sides) in those days. Golden years have passed us though. Now you seem offput, yet you still post.

19. giddyup

The US ranks 49th in the world in Literacy. This is a drop of 18 spots in the last 30 years.

(Source: Matt Santos, US Congressman/Presidential Candidate from Houston, Texas on "The West Wing" :D )

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does that tell you that we should have prayer in schools, or adopt the policy of the 48 nations ahead of us which no doubt don't have prayer in schools?