1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Our race for a playoff spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was playing the Devil's advocate on everyone assuming other teams would lose on purpose for seeding. I don't believe in it and don't think the Rockets would do it either. I was being sarcastic and turning the tables on all the conspiracy theories starting already.

As for never resting players much when injured, well I don't like that, but our coach and players dictate most of that. Do I think that could backfire? Sure, but I hope the coaches and players know the risk, and wouldn't push more than necessary to be at their best for the playoffs.

Nope no excuses from me if we don't win. The smartest strategies going into the playoffs to reduce wear and tear, minimize risk, and keep the chemistry going, as well as the best coaching and playing during the playoffs will determine who is the best. If we win it all we proved we did just that. If we fall short there are no excuses. Lets the games begin, and lets see who is the best. I don't care who we face.

Louka likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's what I had said before about the seeding but gave Utah the win over LAC. Regardless, the seeding is the same so I too believe it will be the Spurs we play first.

GSW 58-24
    DEN 55-27
    HOU 54-28
    POR 53-29
    UTA 50-32
    SAS 48-34
    LAC 47-35
    OKC 47-35

3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Denver already threw a game. They were miraculously beating Portland without 3 starters, so they benched the other two for the fourth quarter. They let Isaiah Thomas run the team into the ground. He was terrible, but they kept him in the game because the coaches clearly did not want to win.

BeBreezy, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't fear Utah at all. But the problem with facing them is that it would mean we're in the Warriors bracket and get them in the Semifinals.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah, the Clips vs. Jazz is really the only true question mark left. I picked Clips because they're playing in LA and the Jazz will be on day 2 of a back-to-back after they get spanked at home by Denver.

Also.. IMHO:

True Contenders:
    Golden State
    Denver
    Houston

Dangerous:
    San Antonio
    OKC

Not-a-chance:
    Portland
    Clippers
    Utah

#665 droxford, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    deb4rockets and hakeem94 like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I think they just felt confident in maintaining the 2nd seed and wanted to rest players.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The two interesting games will be Houston @ OKC and Denver @ Utah. Houston and OKC both will be fighting hard to win. Denver and Utah have reasons to both want to win and lose that game.

If Houston beats OKC. Utah will "rest" vs the Clippers. I think Milwaukee legitimately rests vs OKC. Spurs beat Dallas. That gives you the 3 way tie scenario with OKC still ending up 8th, Clips 7th, SA 6th.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

good job agent 94!

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is it Wednesday yet?

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Give them to us as soon as possible. We've waited long enough to take another crack at them. :mad:

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

See, I don't get that logic. The deeper we get into the playoffs without facing them, the greater the likelihood that A) they get upset by someone and B) they sustain an injury. Look at the biggest injuries they've dealt with during their dynasty. Most have come later in the postseason. Curry's in 2016 was early on in the first round against the Rockets. But Iggy last season occurred in the WCF and carried into the Finals. And Bogut went down in Game 5 of the Finals in 2016 and was the turning point of that series.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody is upsetting GS besides houston if it happens. there's not much likelihood there. all that is, is wishful thinking.

them sustaining some kind of injury applies exactly to houston as well but GS has a much higher room for error there since they have multiple stars. houston suffering an injury to one of their core decimates their chances instantly.

at this point, it sucks to say but who's more likely to suffer an injury between the two to their immediate core in the long run. I wouldn't say GS. right now Houston is healthy and in the right zone right now on all accounts since the AS break. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play them asap. at full health, I'd want to take out the team to beat by far, no matter what round it is.

#673 YOLO, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    FLASH21, Vivi, BeBreezy and 2 others like this.
  14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yep. The Rockets have their mojo flowing, the path is going through GS regardless, and injuries could happen on either side at any time, so trying to plan and predict around that makes little sense.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Goes both ways

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

True but if you admit we are the strong underdog, if the likelihood of a major injury is roughly equal per game played, it behooves us statistically to wait as long as possible to even the playing field. Much like the whole strategy of shooting a ton of 3-s helps an underdog due to high variance....waiting longer is tantamount to 'shooting more 3s' in the hopes of landing a major injury on their side.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't want anyone else to eliminate them and I don't want to play them with injuries on either side. I want us to beat them fair and square on our way to a title. That said, I do prefer to face them in the WCF, only because that series should be 'best of the west.' Hoping we get 2 seed because I always hope we finish as strong as possible and have as much home court as we can get. I'm not scared of OKC or any other opponent in the playoffs. They'll all be tough but I'm confident our Rockets will be tougher.

FLASH21, BeBreezy, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm with ya. Tanking on purpose shows fear and weakness. Confidence in your ability to beat anyone shows strength and makes others fear you more. Tonight I want two things to happen. I want to see us muffle the Thunder's roar to a mere peep, shut that crowd up, take care of business and leave OKC confident and healthy.

Second, I want Utah to take Denver down and propel us into 2nd place. Those two things will make me a happy camper. Cheap thrills are awesome.

Batman Jones and BeBreezy like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well, they just burst my bubble last night. Even with all 4 we lost.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Were you expecting a 16-0 jaunt through the playoffs?? Lol.