1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our race for a playoff spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

He is an inductee in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and was named the National Basketball Association's Most Valuable Player in the year of our Lord 1995.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The Clippers just lost to the Lakers and now play @ Warriors. Their last game is vs Utah. They are only one game ahead in the of Spurs in the loss column and tied with OKC. It looks like they also lose the tie breaker to both of them. There is a really good chance they fall to 8th.
    The Spurs have two easy games. OKC plays vs Rockets and @ Bucks. The Bucks will probably be resting and let OKC win.

3. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Idk about this whole Nuggets are worried about the rockets in their second round bracket....If they lose to the jazz which is very possible and we win out, we will be the second seed?

DaDakota and chadyang like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That will show em...

:)

DD

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think that's correct. I believe the Clippers would finish ahead of OKC in the event of a 3-way tie. If that's the case, then it's still possible we could get them in the first round should we finish 2nd.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nugs do not want to face Rockets or GSW until conference finals and willing to tank their game vs. Blazers in hope that POR can move past HOU at 3rd spot.

LOL - talk about desperation.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2019/4...d-with-their-b-squad-to-take-on-trail-blazers

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

In a 3 way tie, it looks like it would be 6 - Spurs, 7 - Clips, 8 - OKC. Clippers lose head-to-head tie breakers to both teams.

8. mightybosstone

I'm so torn watching this OKC/Minnesota game. On one hand, I agree with most posters that I'd prefer not to face OKC in the first round, and if they lose this one and against Houston, that probably puts them at 8th. On the other, this OKC team is just so underwhelming, I'm not so sure we should be that scared of them in the first place.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Welp,

Minny could have won, but Westy put on the burners.

The Spurs won...

I have Portland and Utah winning tonight...

LAC will lose ...

So, I guess we should just anticipate OKC or SA

mightybosstone and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, there is no reason to be torn. Believe what your eyes have told you and what the last 2.5 years have told you- OKC isn’t anyone worth worrying about if you have any kind of aspirations of not sucking.

Game7 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is Derozan going to be though?

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hall of Decent Dudes

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough.

One aspect I am surprised at was his ability to make plays, didn't think he could average those numbers early on. Way to go, Demar.

dc rock likes this.
  14. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

So with one game left in the regular season, here is the breakdown.

After losing to the Lakers Utah is locked into 5th, they have no more incentive to play. Warriors are locked at the 1st seed.

Scenario #1

If we beat OKC on Tuesday (regardless of what Portland does)

We will be:
    2nd seed if - Denver drops one of the next two games. (@Utah and home against the Wolves)
    3rd seed if - Denver wins both games.

If we beat OKC on Tuesday and assuming Spurs and Clippers take care of business at home against Dallas and Utah (no incentive to play after losing to Lakers tonight). Spurs, Clippers, and OKC would be in a 3-way tie at 48-34.

6th seed Spurs 4-3 [We would play the Spurs if Denver wins out]
    7th seed Clippers 4-4 [This is the ideal situation for the Rockets, assuming Denver drops one of two]
    8th seed OKC 3-4

Scenario #2

If we lose to OKC on Tuesday. OKC will likely end up 6th seed because the Bucks will likely rest players on Wednesday.

We will be:
    2nd seed if - Denver drops both games (regardless of what Portland does)
    3rd seed if - Portland drops one of the next two games (B2B @Lakers and home against the Kings)
    4th seed if - Denver wins one of the next two and Portland wins one of the next two.

Again assuming Spurs and Clippers take care of business at home.

6th seed OKC 49-33
    7th seed Spurs 48-34 [2-2 tiebreaker with Clippers but has a better conference record]
    8th seed Clippers 48-34

So right now, we have the highest chance of opening against OKC in the first round as the 3rd seed. I personally rather play against Utah as the 4th seed than playing against OKC.

#614 mcgrady33090, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    kevcai likes this.
  15. today

today Contributing Member

Has anyone done the work on how the seeds look if OKC/SA/LAC are all tied?

16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think 6 7 8 is okc, SA, LAC

17. macan

macan Member

OKC/SA/LAC all tied, plus HOU/DEN/POR all tied

18. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

Again I am pretty sure statistically we have the highest chance opening against OKC. Correct me if I am wrong.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's SA, OKC, LAC if all tied.

20. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Next game (win) is crucial. I'd rather play the Spurs/Clippers and let the Worriers play OKC. I can see OKC pushing them to 6. I'm sure the Rox can take out the Spurs/Clippers in 5. Harden also has some unfinished biz w/the Spurs and CP3/Rivers will play with extra fire against the Clips.

today likes this.