1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Great allies the despotic Saudis kill a Washington Post Journalist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Oct 12, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Papa John

Papa John Member

we are clearly saudi arabias b****. Its pretty sad sick and funny all at the same time

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And North Korea and Russia.

But boy we really showed Canada when we slightly revised NAFTA!

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Blaming Trump for the war in Yemen is kind of like blaming Obama for Iraq and Afghanistan. Both campaigned for peace and unfortunately did as any other president would be strongly compelled to do. Energy sector and Pentagon contractor lobbies have some of the deepest pockets on the planet. Think of all the jobs those bombs dropped on Yemeni children create in northern Virginia that are hard to say no to...

The US has no business in Sunni-Shia proxy wars or any other wars in the ME and would be better off investing the money in their own infrastructure and energy independence, but good luck convincing our fearless leaders of that.

RayRay10 and durvasa like this.
  5. Papa John

Papa John Member

These rogue canadian killers are bad hombres I tell ya

6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I see what you did there, Kaitlin. LOL. "Not based ... on intelligence." Amen.

@Deji, maybe I'm missing ignored content, but I don't see a lot of people blaming Two Scoops for the war in Yemen. Obama deserves a ton of blame for what Sanders rightly calls an unconstitutional US involvement and humanitarian catastrophe.

But it's completely legit, IMO, to blame Two Scoops for his ridiculous response to the Saudis in the current dust-up about a murdered journalist (e.g. now comparing it to Kav-bro controversy). And even Fox News has called him out on his renewed lies about his long financial ties to Saudi Arabia as well.

Rashmon, Yung-T and KingCheetah like this.
  11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Dunno if it was specifically in this thread -- though I thought I saw a comment or two, and I've certainly heard pundits say it. I personally think it's pointless to single out blame for either Trump or Obama. US foreign policy changes little between administrations, and that is precisely what deserves criticism. We are more concerned with the eternal election cycle than actual politics.

The war in Yemen is pretty old news and it was only making it into major US media since August of this year when seemingly suddenly the US press was concerned about that bus that got bombed.

Trump's "jobs, jobs, jobs," statement was rather on the nose as to why endless war is a bi-partisan affair, and these spending authorizations get rubber stamped. I'm glad Yemen is getting more coverage, though it's still under-reported that besides the munitions sold, the US Navy has participated for years in a blockade of Yemen that starves civilians. I still can't help thinking that had that interest been around a year ago, the efforts in the House and Senate to block the $110B sale of US arms to the Saudis might have engendered more public debate.

I wish there was more reporting on Representative Gabbard's and Senator Paul's bipartisan efforts to limit weapons proliferation and US involvement in Saudi Arabia's proxy war against Iran in Yemen, and I wish our press and political class were more concerned about US complicity in genocide, rather than whatever tabloid scandal-of-the-week story about The Great Distractor makes the rounds.

Exiled and B-Bob like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump is a known COWARD - not surprised here at all.

DD

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What is he supposed to do. Relax

Saudi Arabia was our non democratic women oppressing royal ruled ally before anyone knew Trump

Im not happy with us being in bed with them but the relationship is decades old

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe not allow more arm sales to them. Yemini children and adults continue to die by starvation and other terrible ways.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-greatest-embarrassment-inside-kingdom-181902079.html

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is pretty disgusting

Nook, Yung-T, sammy and 1 other person like this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

an innocent man was murdered and dismembered. I don't know, have some sort of moral compass? Lets replace the word murder there with pedophilia, etc.

What would your response be then?

still...

You're a misguided pos

17. NewRoxFan

18. NewRoxFan

"Searching for a mutually agreeable explanation"? Seriously?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

We had been drifting away from Saudi since the Bush years, and for good reason. Trump, due to bribes from the Saudi government, has put us back in bed together.

AleksandarN likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We have been drifting away from them? Where do you get that from?