1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our 2019 FA

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Which Astros FAs would you re-sign?

1. Dallas Keuchel

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Charlie Morton

91 vote(s)
    83.5%
  3. Brian McCann

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Martin Maldonado

66 vote(s)
    60.6%
  5. Marwin Gonzalez

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  6. Evan Gattis

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeremy Williams

Which Astros free agents would you justify paying to keep in the offseason?

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Damn no love for Dallas

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It really just depends on how much they want. I’d take Dallas back at a couple years for $20 million but I don’t think that’s going to quite get the job done lol.

I think Morton is either retiring or remaining an Astros. I don’t see him going anywhere and I don’t think his contract will be unreasonable.

4. Jeremy Williams

I agree. I think Morton is more likely to take a friendly deal, and honestly, he was a better pitcher this year.

5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Astros just took 2-1 lead in game 2. That's why I picked Gonzales as the free agent we can't lose next year because he is so clutch. I still remember his HR in the WS last year against Jansen. If not for that hit there is a good chance we did not win the WS last year.

#5 seemoreroyals, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ban whoever voted for Gattis!

7. Jeremy Williams

He would be very difficult to replace, as well.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Fair question... but let’s worry about the team on the field. The one that looks like the most dominant Houston sports team ever. The one that has completely shut down a very good Indians team.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. Jeremy Williams

This is the team on the field under discussion. :) If you don't want to participate, well....

seemoreroyals likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely Morton and Machete. I'd love to see McCann back on some team friendly deal. He's just good to have around. I think Marwin is going to get paid, at least he's earned a good deal imho.

11. Jeremy Williams

I'd put the odds of re-signing Morton at 70%. Maldonado 50%. Marwin 20%. We might make the QO to Marwin. I don't think we make offers to the others.

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

They 100% make a qualifying offer to Keuchel.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. Jeremy Williams

As far as the HOU family side of things goes, I'd agree. But this is a business and I think Keuchel is wrong side of 30. I think it will be a hard pass.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Charlie Morton. Maybe get a bigger bat in LF

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d love to have them all back under the right conditions. Max Id offer each with my guess at chance of resigning

McCann $4m/1yr 10%
    Maldonado $12m/2yr 60%
    Gattis $4m/1yr 10%
    Marwin $34m/3yr 30%
    Keuchel $64m/4yr 10%
    Morton $35M/2yr 70%
    Sipp $4m/1yr 10%

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Jeremy Williams

seemoreroyals likes this.
  18. Jeremy Williams

Sipp got $18m/3yr last deal. He was better this year than the years leading up to his last deal. Likely gonna cost the $18/3 again. I don't want Dallas on a 4year deal. I think the wheels are coming off already.

I think that's the kind of deal Morton is after, and I would expect us to offer it to him and get it done. The Maldonado deal looks about right. If he continues to deliver during the postseason, I could see it going up..

I don't want McCann or Gattis back. Find better replacements or use the farm players. Tucker is going to need his shot this year. I could also see our speed demon getting a year long shot.

I think Marwin is going to command closer to 60mill for 4 years. I'd offer it to him, unless it means we won't offer our better players contracts next offseason.

19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

The money we have to give these guys is absurd. I remember when we first signed Nolan Ryan his contract was only for $1 million per year and we were all pissed because the cost of our tickets went up about $1 a piece. Based on the dollar amounts listed above, although like everyone I love Charlie Morton I would be in favor as using as much as possible to keep Marwin Gonzales. He plays everyday and though he has had kind of a subpar year compared to last year he keeps getting the big hits. And you can move him around and he plays every day and he is in his prime and has not been plagued by injuries. DK is way overpriced. I am subject to changing my mind if he comes out Monday and throws a gem and clinches the series against the Indians. But unfortunately I fully expect he will come out and get into trouble in the first inning and not give me the same confident feeling I have with JV or GC on the mound. It appears based on our callups we have more quality depth in our farm system in pitching plus we are fortunately as deep as we have ever been at the big league level. Morton would be missed but not as much as Marwin would IMO.

As far as Maldonado goes I like his ability to throw runners out but I have never seen a catcher that lets as many balls get past him as he does. Even McCann as old and stove up as he is, he is better at blocking both accurate and errant pitches. Maldonado has the potential to become a better offensive player but so does Stassi. Stassi gets my vote as the biggest disappointment this year for the Astros. Earlier in the year he was hitting and hitting with power. I don't know what happened to him but because he quit hitting we had no choice but to go after a better option at catcher and give up some very good minor league prospects. Overall, because of Stassi's inconsistencies and because we had to give away valuable assets to acquire Maldonado, I look for us to bring him back next year. Maybe someone can work with both of these catchers and tweak a few things so they could be more productive for us offensively next year.

Unless something dramatic happens the remainder of the post season I would be surprised to see Gattis and McCann back. Might not be a bad idea to bring McCann back in some sort of coaching capacity assuming he is interested in doing so.

PS - Would the person that voted to bring Evan Gattis back please elaborate on your reasoning?

20. Progs

Progs Member

Gattis is on fumes now. He'll be entering free agency past his prime and just getting worse by each month. Morton and Gonzalez 4 sure. Keuchel didn't have his usual season. Still he might be too expensive, unless he's willing to sign a one year 20+ million contract.