1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt Asks For Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LongTimeFan, May 21, 2010.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/05/oswalt-requests-trade-from-houston.html

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I dont see why we dont trade Roy.

He's not goin to win on this team, and probably lost some motivation to pitch.

What's the point of paying him $15 mil the next couple of yrs when we arent goin to be winning anytime soon.

Get some new young players while we can, before Roy gets any older.

3. Major

Major Member

Its kind of backwards that our players have to ask for trades to get ownership to do what is necessary to improve the team. But thank you, Roy (if this is true)!

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Thank God. As much as Roy has done for this team, he's doing even more now by pushing us into advanced rebuilding (hopefully).

5. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Sad to see Roy go but the time has come to rebuild. He will be wasting his career here for the next few years. Best for both parties if they part ways.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good. We should get a couple of Tier 1 prospects in return. That's the only way to rebuild. Carlos Lee and Lance Berkman should be actively shopped as well. This team needs young talent.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

probably get one top prospect and a few lower ones. The top prospect should be one in no lower than AAA, though. While we need to get younger, there's no need to reach for more players that are still few years off.

8. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Sad day...my favorite pitcher of all time :(

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

a) How do you know Drayton hadn't already ok'ed the move to trade him?

b) How do you know Wade wasn't already shopping him? Not a stretch given the rumors over the past few weeks.

c) It's pretty normal for a player who's playing really well and stuck in a losing situation to ask for a trade.

Personally, I think we would have seen Roy dealt by the deadline regardless. Lance is more of a maybe given his "Houston for life" story thing, but I think they're going to explore him and Lee also when they get their averages into their career norm range

10. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Yeah, I can't blame Roy for wanting to go to a contender before he plays out his contract (if it's his last). Even if it's not his last, we're still years away from contending with a half-decent team. Better to re-tool and re-stock now than keep pretending (which this season FINALLY, I don't think we are) we're in it.

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Gonna suck to see Roy go, but it sucks even more see him get horrendous run support year after year.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

we can assume this won't happen until the deadline, correct?

hopefully there is a point where we will pretty much know it's his last home game and he can get the sendoff that he deserves.

13. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Trade Roy to Phillies

Roy Halladay
    Roy Oswalt
    Hamels
    Happ
    Blanton

:eek:

14. Major

Major Member

I don't particularly know anything, but Drayton has said many times that he would like Roy and Berkman to retire as Astros, and in the past couple of years where we've sucked and could have traded him, there never was much noise about him.

15. ThaShark316_28

Just get a good deal...we needed someone to step up and say something...hopefully my boys can get this done.

16. RocketMania1991

I can't wait to see Roy on a great team, he's about to get the spotlight he deserves.

Absolutely ridiculous he is 2-6.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

richardjustice Astros GM Ed Wade has just confirmed that Roy Oswalt has asked to be traded. #hounews

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yeah, I guess we haven't "sucked" the last couple of years as we've been in contention somewhat. And it was clear that we were at least somewhat underperforming in the 1st half. This year, it's very clear that this team blows, and we all knew it in the preseason Plus Lance and Roy have talked about being traded.

I understand the speculation...but it was annoying me that people were using even this as another way to talk negatively about Drayton (after the Ed Wade thread derailed into anti-Drayton) . And some posts are making it seem like Roy is a great human for doing this or something. How about...he might just be pissed about losing when he's pitching well?

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They should trade the HITTERS, or lack thereof. :eek: This is my opinion only.

Will he change his mind if we start winning again? :confused:

I would not want to see Roy playing for a team who would come and beat the Astros.

I don't recall ANY Houston Rocket going from here to the Jazz, but I do recall Antoine Carr and Shandon Anderson playing here.

I just hate quitters and crybabies and players who "ask for trades." That's all.

20. RocketMania1991

Don't ever categorize Oswalt as a quitter or crybaby, that guy has more heart and respect than anyone thats ever put on a Houston Astros jersey.

The guy deserves to win.