1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Sentinel: Rockets Could Tempt Magic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prs325, Jun 26, 2012.

1. prs325

prs325 Member

This just from the perspective of the Magic which is what we know already.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...gic-with-a-trade-offer-for-dwight-howard.html

The Rockets could tempt the Magic with a trade offer for Dwight Howard
    Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic, Rob Hennigan — posted by Josh Robbins on June, 25 2012 12:43 PM
    Discuss This: Comments(14) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

The most intriguing credible Orlando Magic rumor at the moment only tangentially involves the Magic.

At least so far.

The Houston Rockets reportedly are attempting to move up in Thursday’s NBA draft, and they could target the top-10 picks currently owned by the Sacramento Kings (5th overall) and the Toronto Raptors (8th overall).

If the Rockets acquire those selections, the Rockets then could make a significant trade offer to the Magic for Dwight Howard. The Rockets attempted to acquire Howard around last season’s trade deadline and are still willing to trade for Howard even if Howard gives them no guarantee he’ll remain in Houston after his contract expires during the summer of 2013.

At least some Magic officials believe Howard has no intention of re-signing with the Magic, but new General Manager Rob Hennigan has said he intends to speak with Howard and offer a vision for the Magic’s future.

Hennigan said during his introductory press conference Thursday that he planned to reach out to Howard “in the very near and foreseeable future.”

If Howard tells the Magic he still won’t re-sign, then the team appears prepared to trade him eventually.

As SI.com’s Zach Lowe writes, there’s no guarantee that the Rockets can acquire the fifth and eighth picks. So keep that in mind.

But if the Rockets do acquire those selections, how would a deal with the Rockets benefit the Magic?

The first benefit would be that it would give the Magic an infusion of young talent.

The Thunder built their franchise through the draft.

The franchise obtained Kevin Durant with the second overall selection in 2007, Russell Westbrook fourth overall in 2008, Serge Ibaka 24th overall in 2008 and James Harden third overall in 2009.

The choice of Durant was a no-brainer, but the Thunder deserve credit for making the other choices.

Hennigan supervised the Thunder’s college, international and pro scouting departments for the last two seasons, so he should know this year’s draft prospects well. The question is, does he view any of the prospects who could be available at No. 5 and No. 8 as true difference-makers?

The second benefit to the Magic of a Rockets deal would be that the Rockets have the cap flexibility to take on one of the Magic’s undesirable contracts, perhaps Hedo Turkoglu’s deal.

For years now, the Magic have attempted to win right away, eschewing the draft for high-priced free-agent signings and for blockbuster trades for veterans.

That model was attractive because Howard is a franchise cornerstone player.

But if Howard makes it clear to Hennigan there’s no way he’ll remain, the Magic could begin a long rebuilding process.

A deal that would give them two lottery picks in Thursday’s draft and allow themselves to divest themselves of Turkoglu’s contract would jump-start that effort.

Of course, Hennigan could choose to wait until after the draft to make a deal involving Howard.

“We’re going to spend a lot of time talking about everything,” Hennigan said last Thursday.

“We’re going to continue to talk about everything and analyze everyone and anything.”

What struck out the most is that if the Magic continues to evaluate even after the draft is over, it becomes difficult on their part to select the players they want for their rebuilding process. I think, the deal has to be consummated before or during the draft otherwise once the smoke clears the Magic may go another direction.

The other side to it, if the Rox keep the picks, which is highly unlikely, the rebuild begins which is what the pro-tankers want.

From the Magic perspective, I cant think of any other deals that would allow them to acquire high draft picks, possibly young vets, follow the OKC format, and satisfy their vision at the same time. My only concern for the Rockets is since we are renting Howard for a year, I sure hope that we don't over pay and/or take on contracts of Turkoglu or Duhon. I think renting Howard without a guarantee is more of Morey's negotiation tactic to keep the acquisition cost down and not over-compensate for Dwight's services. Regardless, it will an eventful week.

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to keep my hopes up that something will happen that gives this franchise a direction, but I've been heartbroken by the Rockets time and time again.

3. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

If for any reason we can't get Howard, the positive side is that Rockets are still going to get two quality players in the range of the NBA draft at #14 and #16. If it's true that Rockets are going to move up in the draft for the purpose of sending higher draft pick for Dwight, that's great but I would rather having higher draft picks than Dwight Howard. The reason I say this is that I doubt Howard to stay here beyond next season if he goes traded here this summer. I am still keeping up my hopes, though. I am fine either way because at the trade deadline if Dwight doesnt want to stay here after next season, we can trade him for veterans or superstars . So it is win-win situation for Rockets.

4. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

We'll likely at least get our picks at #14 and #16, plus have significant cap space, plus get what we can for Lowry and Martin. And, oh yeah, we have DMo coming back, and maybe Llull some day.

This is the miserable failure to which Morey has brought us.

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I want to point out that Turkoglu only has two years left on his contract. I mean, we can get through that.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Morey's got a plan.

:rolleyes:

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Heck no, would we want that albatross taking cap space or a roster spot. We just cleared up a log game at the SF position, why lose or waste the young talent we have there for an aging former star level player?

That'd be like trading for Rashard Lewis two years ago.

Given we are most likely giving Orlando at least 2 picks, I expect them to at least take either Lowry or Martin off our necks and send us some decent bench players for our guard positions.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly why I'm prepared for nothing to happen other than receiving the 2 mediocre undersized PF's drafted on Thursday at 14 and 16.

My faith is gone.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You mean the nothing that happened last summer bc of Stern? I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason. DM has something up his sleeve

10. Relentless

Relentless Member

Miserable failure? Gtfo

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

just for info...If the Rockets are trading for Howard..they willl not accepts Turks contract...The Rockets if they get 2 top 10 picks...imo would be better served to keep them...or look to acquire Josh Smith from ATL(they would only get one pick)

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That trade wouldn't have made me feel any better. No guarantee that Nene would have followed and Gasol, IMO, is not a game changer.

13. albuster

albuster Member

This. As I have posted before, Stern saved Morey from himself. I wonder why some folks enjoy suffering from keeping their expectations way too high only to be thoroughly disappointed afterwards. Howard, like Bosh, is not coming to Houston via trade or whatever means, period.
    The sooner folks leave that idea of Howard to Houston alone the better for their emotional health. The draft does not guarantee anything so everybody just relax and watch. If the past four years is any guide, we will all be a little disappointed again.
    I hope I am totally wrong in this post, I really do. I am ready to enjoy watching the Rockets win again, but I am just realistic about things. I have been an NBA fan since the 1970 and I have seen enough, I think, to make me post my sentiments this way.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I hope the huge trade happens before draft night. I would hate to hear that everything was set in place to send Dwight Howard to Houston depending on if the players Orlando liked were available.

then, Portland screws it up by jumping in front of us like years past.