1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Orlando Sentinel] Magic agree to terms with Keyon Dooling

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Jul 22, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...pt-magic072205,0,1621333.story?coll=orl-magic

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted July 22, 2005, 4:29 PM EDT

The Orlando Magic have reached an agreement with free agent guard Keyon Dooling, sweetening their offer to four years and an estimated $11 million, according to NBA sources today.

Dooling will sign with the Magic when the league and its players finalize their collective bargaining agreement, which is expected to happen before August 1.

Dooling played as a reserve last season in Miami, where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.8 assists in just 16 minutes.

The Magic originally drafted Dooling in 2000 from the University of Missouri, but they traded his rights with Corey Maggette and Derek Strong as part of a salary cap clearing move.

According to sources, Dooling was promised a "chance to start,'' which is something that he didn't receive in Miami last season.

Wonder what this means for Steve Francis. He most probley will move to shooting guard where he belongs. I though Jamer Nelson did good last year but I guess the Magic don't agree.

2. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Maybe we can trade one of our guards to the Magic for Steve Francis. You know he would love to play in Houston. The Magic have made some of the worst player moves in the NBA. I bet the pattern just keeps repeating and we get Francis back for peanuts.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What makes you think this?

Keyon Dooling sucks. He's terrible. Orlando management might not know it, but their coaching staff will find out soon enough.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Another great move by Weisbrod....wait, he's not there! :D

ORLANDO MANAGEMENT SUCKS!

5. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

How can Francis help the Rockets? We need a pass first point guard who will give the ball to T-Mac and Yao and play great defense. Francis doesn't do either of those things. He's a turnover prone point guard who doesn't play any defense. What he'll do for you however, is dribble out the clock.

Oh, one minor thing I forgot. He's overpaid. He makes 15mill/year and we can't have three max players.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree, I didn't Dooling much last year to prove he was anything more than a 2nd rate back-up who happened to be a lottery pick.

This isn't good for showing what the going rate of a decent 1 is.

Wait until Stoud, Watson and Jaric hit the market.

Maybe this is good after all. Now there is no way Stoud signs for a 2 year deal or anything less than a full MLE based on market value. Opens up sign and trade possibilities.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This is totally crazy. The Magic should have just kept Weisbrod because they are no smarter since getting rid of him. That organization is out of control. Dooling and SF starting in the backcourt? They will get killed! The Steelers had the Steel Curtain defense. The Magic will have the Tissue Paper (perimeter) defense. Remember, TurkeyGlue the choker is their small forward.

I can't imagine what it's like to be a Magic fan. I assume the locals are ripping the team. Kelly, macfan, what is the local reaction?

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

There isn't any.

People are numb and have lost all confidence in the team and its management. With the exception of lightining striking three times for the Magic(Three Nr. 1 Picks--Shaq, Penny, D. Howard), they have made bad decision after bad decision. The Magic organization also wants a new arena so there is a perception that the team could move. There aren't a lot of committed fans. Without Dwight Howard, the Magic would be the Atlanta Hawks (empty arena)

9. foodworld

foodworld Member

Dave Twardzik (their new GM) is the main reason the Warriors haven't been in the playoffs since they had Chris Webber. He makes John Weisbrod look like a saavy GM.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dooling was fairly productive for the Heat last season, and its no secret that the Magic want to experiment with Steve at the two and Dooling is a 6'5" pg so he can guard the twos and he's only being paid 3mill a year.

WTF is the problem?

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Dooling is listed as 6'3" 195. He certainly can't guard SGs any more than Francis can.

Dude has always been a bad shooter, never had an A/TO ratio above 2.00, and has been a career 6 & 2 guy. Even playing with Shaq and Wade didn't fix his issues. I certainly would not want him on my team unless it was as the 5th guard.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm not blasting Dooling. If he gets a 4yr/$11MM contract from the Magic, more power to him. Last year, he averaged 5 ppg, shot 40% from the field, 25% from 3pt in 16 mins/game. Charlie Ward could have done that on the Heat.

I doubt Dooling beats out Jameer Nelson to be the starter, but a guaranteed $11MM will make sitting quite enjoyable. On a decent team, he is an 11th man.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Keyon Dooling wasn't even that good in college.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hell F'in NO! He'll make $13.8m this season and has 3 more years on his contract. We need players that keep the ball moving on the perimeter. Not players trying to tattoo "Spalding" on to the court.

15. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I thought this post would be funny and obviously some of you guys bit on it. I know Francis back in Houston may never happen, but you must admit that even Francis would have to try real hard to keep the Rockets from winning if he were added to our current roster. The Rockets were thinking of adding A. Walker who is a larger version of Stevie Franchise :D

16. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Dooling is a solid player. He's a solid defender, very athletic and an explosive leaper. He did well in the playoffs and should've played over Damon Jones. He just got $11 million, STOP HATING!

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The problem is that he's 6'3, and he's not that good at basketball. He's not an NBA-quality starter, and he won't be the best PG on their team.

This is a guy that the Magic drafted ahead of Desmond Mason, Michael Redd, and Quentin Richardson, who they then traded to the Clippers along with Corey Maggette, who was drafted ahead of Artest and Kirilenko. Now they're bringing him back for a four year deal, when really a player of his caliber should only be making about the minimum.

The Magic are the worst-run organization in the NBA. Worse than the Clippers! You thought their management was bad under Weisbrod? The guy who replaced him passed up Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady in consecutive drafts for Todd Fuller and Adonal Foyle.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

As someone who played his intramural ball some 40-feet away from where he was "schooling" some fellow Mizzou students, I can attest to that.

Have fun with Jamal Crawford Jr., Orlando.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wouldn't a big combo guard like Marko Jaric make more sense next to Francis (or Nelson) than Dooling?

I really dont understand this signing at all.

20. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Man, I just feel bad for this organization. They have given us so much. :p