1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Orlando Magic VP] Gortat may be starting C, Howard moved to PF

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lovemachine2000, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Lovemachine2000

I got to talk briefly with Orlando Senior Vice President Magic Pat Williams today, and I asked him about why his club matched Mavericks' offer for backup center Marcin Gortat. To refresh your memories, the offer was five years for a hefty total of $34 million. Williams said that Gortat is a young, promising talent and that the Magic needed more depth in the front court. More intriguingly, he also said he hoped that Gortat and Dwight Howard can play alongside each other, and that "they'd grab every rebound out there." Which means Gortat would be the starting center, moving Howard to the power forward position.

I am still not sold on how good Gortat will be after some good showing in playoffs, particularly as a starter. IMHO, while Gortat may be getting appropriate salary, the contract is two years too long (Samuel Dalembert anyone?). But the more important question is, how will shifting to the 4 position affect Howard? Will it change his production/game style? Discuss.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Do you work for Nike?

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The Magic have no choice but to try the Twin Towers lineup. They're awful thin in the front court, Rashard is more of a SF, he and Anderson are soft PFs that play on the perimeter. The Magic will be great on defense with Gortat and Howard and D wins championships.

4. Laozi

Laozi Member

I think Bass at the 4 and Howard at the 5 looks alot better then Gortat at the 5 and Howard at the 4. Bass can work in the space created by Howard whereas Gortat would just create more congestion down low and make it easier to double team Howard.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm imagining working Gortat at the high post, because Howard is a lot less effective when he's more than a step or two away from the rim.

6. Lovemachine2000

No, just an interning reporter in a southeast paper. Pat was actually in town as a motivational speaker. IMO he was not that great at motivational speech, but he was a genuine and friendly person.

I brought up the Bass signing in the conversation too, and that was when Pat brought up the possible Gortat-Howard line-up. He seemed really high on Gortat, then again, he'd better be after paying the man $34 million.

The Gortat-Howard line-up will slow the Magic down on offense, but defensively they look very formidable in the middle. Still, it's a big "maybe" that Gortat will translate his playoff contributions into season-long production as a starter.

7. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I would be worried about some of the smaller 4's pulling Howard away from the basket a bit too much.

I would just stick with the assumed lineup of Howard at the 5 and Bass at the 4.

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

That is a possibility but on offense Dwight would dominate. Dwight would have to build on his footwork on defense so as to match up well with smaller power forwards.

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

How about Howard at 5 and Gortat at 4? That sounds more reasonable...

Bass is right now there and Lewis can play the fake 4 also that can create matchup nightmares on the court.

Orlando all of the sudden got very very dangerous team.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Magic have so many lineups they can throw out there. I imagine there won't a definite starting lineup on opening day.

11. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

That quote isn't exactly conclusive. Just because they might be able to play together doesn't necessarily mean gortat would start. Just that they both might get some burn at the same time.

Bass is the most likely starter at the 4. Why go through all the trouble of acquiring players to have a traditional line up if you're just going to blow it away and play big?

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

He lose all his abilities if he starts.

Garunteed.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Spacing would be an issue with both bigs on the floor. Neither have a respectable mid-range game.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

It will probably change depending on how the matchups are that night.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't see it. Perhaps in very limited circumstances both guys could be on the court at the same time.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This. I think the OP is inferring too much.

17. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Terrible motivational speaker. Basically alienated everyone who wasn't Christian. And he made fun of his adopted kids too much.

18. 3ston

3ston Member

Hmmm, interesting.... I think it comes down to seeing if theres any videos of gortat passing...