1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando "Clutch" Merced

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Aug 9, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

This guy is just CLUTCH!!!

Merced comes through whenever the game is on the line. He is the Astros version of Moochie Norris! His single proved to be the game-winning hit in tonight's game. We are only 1.5 games back now!

Bagwell is the smartest baserunner in the league IMO. He is prepared for anything that happens on the basepaths. Not to mention, he is money in the field....see that diving stop and subsequent off balanced throw to Dotel to get out #1 in the 9th? MONEY!!!

GO ASTROS!!!

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Play of the month, without a doubt.They don't come much prettier than that.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

All i gotta say, is these arent your mama's astros

We are the best team in the National League, Anybody with me!!!

4. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Bagwell has had 2 clutch defensive plays the last 2 nights. Last night in the 11th, he scooped out Lugo's throw from the dirt to save the game. That was the play where Javy Lopez got ejected.

I'm estatic that they won this series. That's huge in my eyes. I was hoping they just wouldn't get swept, but the won the freakin series. in Atlanta!!. Go Astos!!!! :)

5. JJ

JJ Member

I just knew that Merced would come through, but I thought it was going to be after Caminiti had dropped the foul pop.

Dotel and Wagner are an awesome 1,2 punch. Can you imagine if they pitch like this the rest of the season? With both of them hitting 95 mph, all the Stros need to do is get the game into the 7th or 8th inning. Dierker has a nice problem when he can choose between RH Dotel and LH Wagner.

Their only weakness is that they need to win more of their games at home. They are a quality road team, but must step up more at home. If they can do this, the cubs are toast.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I've been thinking a lot lately about what makes this team so special, and in my mind, this team is the best we've had in years.

The difference between this team and the other teams we've had is that it is a LOT more clutch than ever before. It's still not money, but you can never turn your back on this team. When the Braves took a 5-4 lead, I left, figuring the game was over. Instead, I miss awesome plays, and a great finish. In the past, I'd probably have been right to turn off the TV and go do something else, but not this year. This year, players have come up with great defensive plays, great hitting and very solid baserunning. This team hits for power, but it manufactures runs well too. The pitching isn't <i>the best</i>, but it's pretty darned solid:

Oswalt has been nails all season. Had a rough outing today, but still pitched an alright game.

Miller -- another "nails" player. Here's hoping his hand is fine.

Reynolds -- started badly, then awesome, had a bit of a shaky going, then awesome again

Astacio -- well, the jury is out, but we have high hopes

5th starter -- eh, it's a 5th starter . . .

Bullpen -- has had a few bad outings, but on the whole, this bullpen just rolls over everyone. Dotel is the best setup guy in baseball, and Wagner is arguably the best closer.

GO ASTROS!!! I WANT A PARADE!!!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm starting to think that if the Cubs aren't the best team in the NL, the Astros are. Given the fact the Cubs can't seem to score runs as of late, I'm inclined to say the 'stros are the class of the NL. I think it's VERY possible they finish with the NL's best record. And honestly, there isn't one team that scares me going in to the playoffs. I'd take my chances with any one of them, Astros playoff history notwithstanding.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Way to go Stros!

Bagwell is a GOD! What a slide, what a catch!

We are getting tons of clutch hits, but I think that 86 team won like 10 games in a row in their last at bat... down the stretch.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

God Merced is sooooooo freakin' MONEY!!!!! How many clutch hits (or game winning hits) has he delivered for us this season??
    I can think of at least 6 to 10 games where he has come through for us.......most memorable would be the Rangers game where he hit the game winning HR.....what a stud!

10. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Madmax stated "And honestly, there isn't one team that scares me going in to the playoffs. "

Well the one team that would scare me in the playoffs would be Arizona. In a short series the Diamondbacks could throw out Randy Johnson, and Curt Schilling. With a possability of either one pitching in the deciding 5th game (depending on which one opens the series). I hope the Diamondbacks dont' make the playoffs and I am hoping that the Phillies can beat out Atlanta for the playoffs. With Arizona and Atlanta out of the way it would make the Astros chances that much better in the playoffs.

With the win last night the Astros are leading the Wildcard race.

But I agree with the rest of you that the Astros are playing great ball!!!

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

And I think we really have the Astros front office to thank for doing so well -- this team we have right now looks very little like the one that started the season.

At the beginning:

<u>Rotation:</u>
    Elarton
    Bottenfield/Reynolds (Shane was injured)
    Dotel
    Lima
    Miller
    And the Bullpen was an awful lot different as well

We dropped Truby and added Vinny Castilla

<u>Our rotation now</u>
    Reynolds
    Miller
    Oswalt
    Astacio
    Mlicki

Our team has undergone a huge transformation this season, and we're finding ways to win close games late and get good pitching. This is a credit to Gerry Hunsicker and the Astros scouts. We've made some good trades, and picking up Vinny Castilla was the smartest move of the season.

IMO, if we can keep this current team together for 2 or 3 years, then when Alou and Castilla retire, we'll have people to fill their spots, we COULD be the Braves of the 2000 decade.

12. JJ

JJ Member

What happened to Chris Truby?

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Truby...He is still at AAA New Orleans.

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

As a RABID Braves fan, all I can just say to you Astros lovers is:

JUST BRING IT, BABY.

FINALLY WINNING IN ATLANTA AND THE TEAM IS "SPECIAL". So, what were they in 1999? With Randy? With 102 games under your belt?

Atlanta has not been at full strength for the last 4 years and the Stros never got by them. What makes the team so special this year when they beat the Braves during the REGULAR season? 2 out of 3?

Braves in the mix every year despite losing Smoltz, Galaragga, Veras, Perez, Jordan, Millwood, Lightenburg, O.Perez and this year the ROY is gone for the season. Key players on the team and they all fell to significant injuries the last 4 years and the Braves keep on truckin. One ring to show for it. True. But the last time they had the entire roster (like the Yanks do year in year out), they took the whole thing. You guys have a little injury bug last year and down the pipes you go! Stros are good. But they ain't special. Only the Yankees are special. They got the rings.

Oh, baby. Just bring it!

Let the trash talking begin! :D

#14 Almu, Aug 10, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2001
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Almu -- relax...no one is comparing franchises...we would love to have a superstation and an owner with no hesitation about spending whatever it takes....or a salary cap and revenue sharing!! The word "special" is in context of this franchise's history.

But I do enjoy you getting defensive about the 'stros. I believe we've played 6 times now and the Astros have won 4 of those matchups. We didn't have favorable pitching matchups over any of the past 3 games...those were your best 3....we took 2/3 in your crib! Bring it??? Baby, we did bring it...and if you make the playoffs we'll bring it to you again!

16. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Almu,
    I agree with you my friend. I think any Astro fan should be scared to face the Braves in the playoffs. They always seem to make the big play in the playoffs to beat the Stros. (That last statement seems to apply to most of the Astros playoff opponents :eek: ).

But we still have a very long ways to go before we start talking playoffs. All you have to do is look at the last two weeks of the schedule. We will be playing the Cubs like 7 times during that period of time.

We just need to stay very close to the Cubs because this playoff race could go down to the wire.

The Stros have a lot to prove in the playoffs. First off they need to show they can win a freaking playoff series. But as someone mentioned earlier. This is not the Stro's of old. I can still remember when our Bullpen sucked! Now we are talking one of the best in baseball. Did you guys see Dotel last night. The kid was AMAZING... He brought nothing but heat and was throwing all strikes... If our starting pitching can stay strong we should be in good shape. I am hoping Pedro Astocio can play a big factor. Because I think we leased him for two (hopefully three) months. There is no way I can see Drayton paying him 9.5 million next season.

What I am really excited about is seeing this kid Carlos Hernandez in our minor league system. They say he is very similar to Mike Hampton in style of pitching.

17. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

wow, what a worthless post.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What do the Atlanta Braves, Buffalo Bills and Utah Jazz have in common?

YOU WILL FIND THIER FRANCHISE LOGO IN THE DICTIONARY UNDER "CHOKERS"!!!

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got to see Carlos pitch at a Round Rock game not too long ago. Dude struck out 12 in 7+ innings against the El Paso Diablos. It was a great game (Jason Lane looked good as well). His fastball got up to around 94 mph, and he showed excellent control.

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Ice,

Did you not win 102 games two years ago, win the first game against the Braves and STILL found a way to lose? With Randy Johnson? No Galarraga on the Braves? You guys fully loaded? Did you lose? Yep.

And how many rings the Rockets have in their history again? :D

By the way, Turner doesn't own the Braves anymore. AOL does. My girlfriend works at AOL TIME WARNER and she told me that they are NOT spending on the team in the upcoming years so that window of opportunity is about to close. Rumor has it that the team will be up for sale in a few years.

Now, I don't like trash talking so I am going to stop.

Let me say one little bitty thing about the Stros. They did the right thing when they traded Lima. Talk about overrated. And they stole Dotel from the Mets. But, I think they made a mistake letting Cedeno go.

I am PRAYING that Alou lands on the Braves. The man is a player.