1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Feel free to post any news about the quarterback competition.

I'll start with this thought:

I think O'Brien consistently saying there is an open competition bodes well for Savage. I think there is a good chance he could be the starter before the end of the year.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fairly unlikely that Savage would start that soon, he's a fairly raw prospect that needs a lot of work. IMO it would take a couple injuries before that would be a reality. I see the QB competition as being between Keenum and Fitz with Yates maybe involved. I don't think they have any plans of throwing a rookie to the wolves.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think Savage has any chance of being the QB this season, he has a bunch of things that need correcting. I do think he could have the job heading into next season though.

Unless he is grossly outplayed by Keenum, Fitzpatrick is going to be the starter, I don't think this competition is nearly as fair as is being advertised. Not that I think Keenum is even the better QB, just that Fitzpatrick is already ahead in the coaches mind.

Still more of a "competition" than Kubiak ever had though, unlike previous years Keenum can actually win the job if he earns it, but I certainly expect Fitzpatrick to be the QB.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He ABSOLUTELY has a chance to start but not at the start of the season. They'll throw him out there if the season goes to hell and the QBs can't do anything. I think Fitz wins the job and either Keenum or Yates is cut.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I think Yates is only here because it is not cost prohibitive to cut him later.

There will be three quarterbacks on the roster

Keenum
    Fitz
    Savage

baring injury Yates is a goner.

Savage will sit this year so you have Keenum and Fitz, Hopefully they both play great in this system and Arian is back along with the D and they can carry us to a division title.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bob will be unpleasantly surprised at how awful our qbs are.

His choice is between crap and crappier.

Competition is just lipstick on a pug.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Keenum will win competition hands down, O'B will love his arm and mobility.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My biggest nightmare scenario is that the team sucks all season with Fitz/Kennum. Savage comes in for, say, the last two games and looks good enough that the team passes on Winston/Mariota in the draft, only to discover that Savage's 2 games were an anomaly, and he's never even average going forward.

For this reason, I prefer that we see Savage either fairly early to get a decent sample size, or not at all this year.

Keenum is going have to completely discover how to read a defense, run through the full progression tree, and call the hot read for the blitz. He's basically at 0 with all these skills.. If he can suddenly develop that skill, sure. If he doesn't, though, I don't see him as more than "practice squad guy" until he does.

I think Fitz ends up with the job by default.

#8 Ottomaton, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

OB is saying competition to keep the fire from starting. Fitzpatrick will be the stater come pre season and going forward. Unless dude flat out stink the joint up or sustains a serious injury. Salvage will be in the mix next season unless Ryan or Case gets injured.

We can throw TJ the deuce, he is out of here.

10. NotChandlerParsons

A lil depressing but probably spot on.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I bet you think Winston or Mariota will be good enough to just come in as a rookie and ball out... wishful thinking. Bill O'brien is the head coach any qb that is going to great will go through the process of being groomed up.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

But what if one of those QB'S have that it factor. If so you could easily throwing them in the Lions den. We have a lot of examples to go off of. Andrew Luck to name one of the latest.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Far from it. They definitely don't run pro - style offences. However, they have more natural talent than the QB's currently on the roster.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

O'Brien asks a lot from his QB's from what has been said, I don't think a rookie learns enough to start right away, that's why Fitz has the advantage in winning the starting job this season. No matter who is picked, they won't be starting right away....and it's not even a given that we'll be taking a QB early next season or that we'll even have an early pick. With a ridiculously easy schedule and a weak division, the Texans could very possibly win 10 games and the division even with crap at QB.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Fitz will probably start the season, Savage will probably finish it.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

True indeed I was just saying one of these quarterbacks could be that smart and a fast leaner. Who knows right. Its not a guarantee that Fitz starts after pre season. Dude can flat out stink it up correct. T Savage might pick up the offense quick and win the job since it supposedly be an open competition.

Lol Bobbythegreat its going to be interesting to watch this things play out.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is my basic assumption

Rocket River

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unless one of those guys does a Bridgewater-esque fall the Texans will not be passing either up if they have the opportunity, which I doubt they will.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Should of gotten Garopolo

He would of been a clear starter

1 person likes this.
  20. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Heard an interview with Schaub in oakland talking about how limited he really was in the offense and that he had zero control of things at the line of scrimmage. We already figured Schaub wasn't allowed to audible but it did shed a little more light on how tightly Kubiak ran his offense.

Come hell or high water, you are going to run the play I call.

That being said, I think T.J. and Case have a fresh slate in my personal opinion. I always said there is something to be said about going 0-8 down the stretch, even if you are a first year starter in this league. Now looking back on it, I dont put as much on him as before.

People Think the QB play is atrocious on this team, and while it was last year, was it really all the qb's fault? or was it the bad coaching?

I see Fitz going in and being the starter this year, and baring injury we will see what savage or a qb next year have depending on where we pick. HOWEVER, this roster is not as bad as people make it out to be.