1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One word story thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Aug 28, 2001.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, I saw this at another message board, and I thought I might try it here. The rule is simple...Post only one word, and we'll see where the story goes...If you want to add comments, you can start another thread...Remember, one word only! Starting......<b>now</b>

Once

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Nice try, but that was two words.:D

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

that was short lived!
    rH

:D

6. A-Train

OK, OK...I get the hint :)

Well, this thread has officially replaced Crystal Pepsi as the worst idea in the history of mankind...I guess I was just trying to kill some time before the season starts...

Oh well, I guess I can go to the Rockets forum and start another "new uniforms" thread...

#6 A-Train, Aug 28, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2001
  7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Damn, you beat me to it...

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Crystal Pepsi wasn't actually that bad, and New Coke was the worst idea in the history of mankind. :p

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually, this wasn't that bad an idea either.

Better than most of the crap that infiltrated this board in the last few months.

10. A-Train

Ahhh, that's what most people think. New Coke, in fact, was a brilliant idea.

I still think that Coca Cola purposefully created New Coke to taste flat and watered down, thus making the public appreciative of the old stuff they had...Coca Cola re-releases their old formula, calling it "Coca Cola <i>Classic</i>...

Viola, Coke regains the market share they lost to Pepsi during the mid/late 80's

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

A-Train, it goes deeper than that. Coca-Cola "announced" that "Coke" would be gone months in advance. As the day approached, there was a huge rush to horde Coke before the new stuff arrived.

That was sales spike #1.

Then "New Coke" came out. Everyone rushed to try it.

That was sales spike #2.

Then it was announced that "Classic Coke" would return, and it did. Everyone rushed out to try it and see if it was as good as the original.

That was sales spike #3.

Coca-Cola then announced that "New Coke" would be discontinued. To a lesser extent, there was hording by those who liked the new formula.

That was sales spike #4.

The big question remains: was the whole "new Coke" a real attempt to change their formula, or a giant ploy to increase sales which were lagging at the time as Pepsi grew? You decide.

13. A-Train

Also, I remember seeing somewhere that while the New Coke was on the shelves, stores were selling the "old" Coke for as much as 30 bucks a case for all those people that didn't like the new formula

I've also heard rumors that the Sam's Club cola that is sold at Wal-Mart and Sam's is actually the formula for New Coke

Personally, I'm Dr. Pepper all the way...

Ahh, the eternal mysteries of soft drinks...where's the X-Files theme when you really need it?

14. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Has anyone ever had the "Mexican" Cokes? The ones in the little bottles Hecho en Mexico?

Man they are stronger and sweeter than American Coca-Cola. Gives you that burning feeling down your throat which is good when eating fajita tacos!:)

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notice, also, that the 'Coca-Cola Classic' had one major change from the original:

They replaced the sugar with high fructose corn syrup, thus lowering costs quite a bit. (And there was a noticible taste difference between true 'original coke' and 'coca-cola classic' when placed side-by-side.)

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I think I saw this tried out at either the Mavs or Grizz bbs. It was just so dumb...

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's tequila, you dork! :D

18. buffalospeedway

slightly related - an attempt to redirect the thread, and thus keep it alive...

which restaurant serves the best cokes?

my choice is Hut's Hamburgers in Austin. you can get vanilla or cherry cokes there. the real deals. huts also gets lots of votes in the annual best of austin poll for "best onion rings" and "best hamburger"

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Ah, don't fret A-Train. The old coots just forgot how to use their imaginations. It's been quite a while.

:D