1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One out of Harden, Curry and Westbrook will be left out of the 1st All-NBA team..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Mar 23, 2015.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Look at these numbers!

Curry:
    23ppg, 8apg, 4rpg, 2spg on 48/42/91 shooting PER=27 Team Record: 56-13

Westbrook:
    27.5ppg, 9apg, 7rpg, 2spg on 43/30/84 shooting PER=30 Team Record: 40-30

Harden:
    27ppg, 7apg, 6rpg, 2spg on 44/37/87 shooting PER=27 Team Record: 47-23

All three are deserving, but one will be left out. But who?

Its funny because Harden is literally in the middle of the three in the two "major ways" people determine awards like MVP and 1st team All-NBA; team success and/or stats. If people are looking at team success the order is Curry, Harden then Westbrook. If people are looking at stats then its Westbrook, Harden then Curry. I hope that doesn't hurt Harden in the end when he gets considered for awards.

Personally, I think Harden gets in and the last spot will be between Curry and Westbrook. Call me a homer but I don't see anyway Harden doesn't get a 1st team All-NBA spot. I don't think I need to explain why.

If its between Curry and Westbrook, I think it ultimately goes to Westbrook because of the tear he has been on lately. The dude is literally averaging a triple double the past two months, with no sign of slowing down especially since KD and Ibaka are out. Unless the Warriors win out, I think Westbrook's numbers trump Curry's team success.

When was the last time the MVP was not on the 1st team All-NBA team? Could happen this season.

I can also see the NBA taking the easy way out by putting Harden as a guard-forward so they could have all three on the team, plus James and Davis. The team would (and should) be:
    Curry / Westbrook / Harden / James / Davis

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It would certainly be interesting if one player won mvp but didn't make the 1st team

It's happened a few times for all d teams, but i don't think it's happened with mvp

3. MystikArkitect

Curry is 3rd. Easily. He's the 3rd best player of these 3 just doesn't have to carry his team and coach.

Klay has more 40 pt games than him.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No way in hell he gets left off, though. Either Harden or Russ will take the L.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Should be Westbrook and Harden.

Will be Curry and Harden.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think Bill Russell won MVP but didn't make 1st Team All NBA at least two or three times

7. Chamillionaire

I think it's RW. He's been on a tear but he missed a bunch of games this year. They're all deserving of it though for sure.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

This x 10000000

What harden and Westbrook are doing practically by themselves makes curry's inclusion almost foolish. By that very same token it's the reason why harden should win mvp - even with Westbrook's unreal performances he's not leading them to a lot of wins, not like harden is at least.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its gonnnaa be curry and harden. curry for his teams record and harden cuz nba's promoting him and hes the best player in his position. tho i think it should be harden and westbrook.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Curry and Harden

More games played than Westbrook.

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

I say Westbrook gets left out because of the low shooting percentages and the fact his team may not even make the playoffs

12. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

curry has better shooting percentages than both though

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I always though all nba teams is more about individual success, but MVP considers team success

but maybe i'm just imagining random criteria because I have no idea what the actual criteria are.

it will be weird that one of the top 3 MVP candidates will be left off the first team

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Exactly so this is why I think the NBA will take the easy way out and put Harden as a guard-forward and Davis as a forward-center. This way all 5 MVP candidates are on the 1st Team.

Curry
    Westbrook
    Harden
    James
    Davis

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You know how having good defensive players around you makes you a better defender? Same thing happens on offense.

Teams can't afford to collapse in the paint vs GSW like they can vs Rockets/OKC because they actually have outstanding shooters. They have others that can attack the basket and score by themselves.

GSW also has playmakers to make it much easier on Curry.

16. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Why not have harden as the "3" and Curry as the "2"?

1st team All-NBA:

Westbrook
    Curry
    Harden
    Lebron
    Davis

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Curry gets a lot more open opportunities than either Harden or Westbrook.

We've seen how few open looks Harden gets on an average night (practically none). Harden and Westbrook have to go one on one every time down the floor.

GSW offensive scheme and talent around Curry definitely helps him. He is the best shooter of the three, but let Harden/Westbrook have as many open opportunities as Curry and their shooting percentages will increase too.

On the basis of free throw shooting, Curry shoots them better but does not get to the line as much as Harden or Wesbrook. There is more value in going 16/20 at the foul line for 80% than 9/10 for 90%.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

And to further prove the part about Curry getting a lot of help:

Curry %assisted: 42.1%
    Harden %assisted: 27.1%
    Westbrook %assisted: 23.2%

Harden and Westbrook are forced to create for themselves much much much more than Curry has had to.

1 person likes this.
  19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I have to spread my rep before giving more to you LOL

But great stat!

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I remember... oh, I guess it was back in 1990 or so... when we had a guy who led the NBA in rebounding and blocked shots, had over 2 steals a game and averaged over 24 ppg but didn't get first team. Lost to some dude from NY who only bested him in ppg and media coverage. So, having experienced injustice before, I'm prepared.

Funny thing though... that guy who finished second later won two championships and that fella from NY never won jack.

1 person likes this.