1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One cell phone, two phone lines?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Jun 23, 2016.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This is not about girls and cups. I figure we have some cell phone (plan) experts here and I had trouble finding this through Google.

I'm currently on Verizon. T-Mobile just announced unlimited data while roaming in Europe for July - August. I'll be in France for 2 weeks and figured spending $50 might be worth it for this.

So I'd like to keep my Verizon line, get a T-Mobile line to use in Europe just for the data, come back to the US and use T-Mobile for the remainder of the monthly cycle and then cancel it. I'd pop my Verizon sim back in and go back to normal. Is this ok?

I would consider totally switching to T-Mobile to try it out, but I think I get charged for re-activating my phone on Verizon if I go back?

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I thought Verizon used CDMA technology and T Mobile used GSM. GSM uses the sim card.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

best thing to do is keep your Verizon plan and just try t-mobile out for a month and cancel. You'd just need to keep your Verizon sim out of the phone while you're using t-mobile unless you want to keep receiving calls from your Verizon number? if not, when you're done with t-mobile just cancel and slap your Verizon sim back into your phone. There should be no charge at all.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

LTE requires SIM cards so the standard was unified. All Verizon phones now have GSM radios as a result.

You can totally buy a TMobile SIM and use it on a Verizon phone now. Yes the OP can do exactly what he suggested.

The only thing you should remember is that signing up for TMobile postpaid will cause a a credit lookup so that'll hit your credit score. Just be mindful of this.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

you can do it with an iphone. When you go to europe you can get prepaid sim cards for cheap. That is what I do. For 20 bucks, you pretty get as much data as you need for a week.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You can do it with almost any phone. You may not get LTE but you'll get solid HSPA for sure. Most phones nowadays have the European 3G bands. LTE might be hit or miss but 3G there is more than enough.

$50 for unlimited data in Europe is actually a good deal. I have Tmobile and go to Europe for work once a month and its more than worth it with the slow 128k speeds. Really if you travel with any consistency, TMobile (or Google fi) is a no brainer unless you're using a company phone.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Walt.

Whats with the 2nd cellphon..err...two lines.