1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ace, Sep 28, 2000.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Well, here's another Olympics thread. Has anyone been watching? Well, if you look at the extremely low rating (see yesterday) I suppose most of the Americans in the BBS haven't.

So, here are a few questions:

1) Do you think the drug incidents have cast a dark light over the Sydney Games?

I personally think it does. It's a shame that the games might be remembered because of the drugs, rather than the sport.

2) Should Raducan (Romanian gymnast) be allowed to keep her medal?

I feel bad for her. The coach is an idiot. There's not doubt that she's the best in the world, but the IOC must keep to the rules. There's just no way around that. However, people must recognize the circumstances under which she was stripped of her medal.

3) Will Jones get 5 medals?

Probably. Did you see that last race where she won gold? Amazing.

4) What are the most memorable events, in your opinion?

Sorry, Aussies, but one of my favorite moments was when Pieter van den Hoogenband beat the favoured Thorpedo for the gold medal. Inge de Bruijn was also amazing.
    If the Dutch manage to win the gold in Men's hockey, it will mark a memorable trip to the finals. The Dutch were practically out, you see. They needed the British to beat the Germans, which had almost no chance of happening. The players basically accepted defeat and were ready to go home with nothing. The unbelievable happened when the Brits pulled off a stunning upset and won 2-1. The Dutch then beat the Aussies 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out. I'm glad the curse doesn't apply to the hockey team as well. [​IMG]

5) Are you tired of the USA dominating? [​IMG]

I can't hide it. I'm tired of the USA winning every damn medal. They win when they're favoured, and do so when they're underdogs as well. I guess the Americans on this board can take this as a sincere sign of respect.

I was glad when the US soccer team finally lost against Norway. I mean, they had lost to the Norwegians 4 times or so this year. It would have been so annoying for them to lose at the most important match. I'm waiting for Will to come out with the controversy surrounding that last goal. [​IMG]

I guess the crap at NBC has been getting to me. If you caught the Leno joke the other day, you know what I'm talking about.

It went something like this:

"If the Americans win gold, the announcer talk about the hardships the athletes had to go through. If any other country wins, they say they must have been on drugs!"

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

4) What are the most memorable events, in your opinion?

Rulon Gardner's defeat of the Russian Alexander Karelin was really memorable. Just think of it: an unknown, in his first Olympics, defeating a man who was undefeated in 13 years of international competition, and unscored upon for the last 10 years! Truly amazing.

On the negative side: What is up with all the jewelry, gold chains, and shades on all the American sprinters? The spirit of competition has been replaced with the spirit of looking good and showing up your fellow man.

I am a huge Olympic fan, but this year has been the toughest to swallow.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I thought the baseball final game was fantastic. A bunch of lifelong minor leaguers plus a couple who made it to the majors dominate the Cuban juggernaut. I loved it.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

1. Yes it has. The unbelievable part is that they don't exactly keep the drug rules a secret -- and the atheletes know they will be tested. Why would they be so stupid?

2. Yes, she sould keep the medal. The entire pourpose of the drug testing is to keep the athletes from using illegal or performance enhancing drugs. The medicine she took, at least in the way she took it, was neither. Come on, it was prescribed by a doctor!

3. Who? [​IMG]

4. U.S. vs Cuba in Baseball.

5. No. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The fact that a doctor prescribed it and that she unknowingly took the banned substance makes the situation very regrettable. However, it is still regarded as a performance enhancing drug and she was three times over the limit.

It's just that the doctor got banned from the 2004 games, of course. I would giver her the medal simply because there is no doubt about her skills, yet I respect the decision made by the IOC.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The Romanian gymnastics girl should definitely give her medal back. Sure it's bad luck that she was on a cold tablet. But that cold tablet contains performance enhancing substances, hence the fact it is on the banned list. It was the Romanian team doctor who prescribed it for her, surely they should've known better?
    If a breach like that is allowed to go unchecked then how can anyone justifiably accuse anyone of being on performance enhancing drugs?

As for most memorable moment; maybe this is the LEAST memorable...
    Jane Saville got disqualified in the womens 20km walk just as she was about to walk into the stadium to be greeted by 100,000 roaring fans to claim Australia's first ever walking gold. I really feel sorry for that girl! Surely the judge had to let her keep going, she was 100 meters in front and was no chance of being caught, what a bad way to finish her games!!

------------------

8. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Ace,

She was disqualified because twice she was warned about "running" instead of walking. Twice she broke into a slight run and had to be told to go back to walking. On the third time they disqualified her.

Hi my name is Mark and I'm an Olympaholic.

I've been watching every night. I probably watched around 20 hours just on the weekend last week.

------------------
    I am the thread killer

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Did you see what Lithuania almost did to the US Hoops team?

Sounds like one of last year's Rockets games!

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Alledgedly prescribed by the Doctor. Who really knows how that stuff got into her body. I've seen cheaters say all kinds of things. It may not seem like the right decision, but how do you really know.... As an athlete she needs to know the rules. Even at such a young age. That's your profession. You need to be aware.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.