1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olowonkandi a fa?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by madbomber, Sep 12, 2006.

1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

wow Olowonkandi a free agent !i heard hes trying out for the suns ...i mean really trying.i know hes not the greatest player in the world but i mean we alittle left try to sign him cheap.....after that i got nothing!i cant think of anyone else decent than maybe kelvin cato but maybe Olowonkandi what do u guys think lol?im scared to ask !

2. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

sorry forget that! i forgot we r over the cap...barely!!!!!!

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Does he qualify for the veteran minimum yet? We could always give him that, or the league minimum, right?

At this point, unless there is something else in the works (ie. a trade), I would actually feel quite good about signing the Kandi Man. Yes, he's a bust, but strictly as a backup he'd be nice to have for the minimum. You can't teach size, and he's got plenty of it (7'0" 270lbs). At the very least, he'd be a body that can play backup center.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He's a "body" that hurts teams. He plays next-to no defense and destroys an offense when he gets the ball in the post. He won't help a team with shot blocking and can't rebound at even an average level -- so you'd hope he'd respond with some Jason Collins-style charge-takings or solid post defense. Nup, too much to ask. And, save for the occasional righty jump hook (against single coverage) or turnaround jumper (provided the nearest help defender is eight feet away), he won't score on anyone. Oh, did I mention that he's shot over 45 percent exactly ONCE in his career?

The next GM to give him a contract, even a minimum contract, is the biggest chump in the NBA. He can't be considered a "big body to use his fouls," because he can't be bothered to foul anyone. Too much work.

Oh, he's 31, too.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

did he screw your wife. YOu really hate this guy. for the min i don't see why not. there is alot of other players that play positions we need less help with, that are half as talented, not as big, that make 4 times as much(i.e Bowen) and even still people aren't as worked up about having him as you are thinking about having a past 1 pick. I know he sucks but for the minimum i'd give him a chance. you act like it's your money.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'd bring him in for a workout and see what kind of shape he's in. If he looked semi-serious about basketball, offer him the vet minimum. Otherwise send the chump down the road to the next team. The fact he's still a FA should tell you something.

Of course, according to some around here, if the Suns sign him that automatically means we messed up by not signing him first. :rolleyes:

7. Aussie Dooley

Aussie Dooley Member

is this a serious thread...

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

If he plays for free.

probably the worst first pick ever!

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Bowen gets a little less then a million, so you think Kandy will sign for $250,000 even though the veterans minimum guarantees him more?

Bowen gets alot of flack but I'd rather have him on the roster then that POS Kandiman. At least with Bowen we know we aren't expecting much but some of you actually expect production out of Kandi. It's like Swift, a bunch of people said that he would be great for the Rockets and he should be the PF answer. Well, I saw a dumb athletic player who did the occasional flashy play but that's about it. Some people are still saying well we didn't give him a chance, only one year; when it's very apparent that the light bulb will never turn on for that guy. Kandi, same thing, he's a POS player that should just be paid for his 6 fouls, any other expectations on him is naive futility.

BTW, $250,000 is too much for him, he should be on a waiter's wage and should ask for tip after each game depending on his nightly performance.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Larue Martin?

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Who?

;)

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

What ever happened to Rusty Larue?

13. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Yup - He's a career underachiever. Bad attitude too. He got his phat contract a few years back mainly because, as ClutchCity said "You can't teach size..." You know he made 16.2 million per the last two years of his contract? UNBELIEVABLE!!

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Look, lots of big men suck, Olowokandi stands out among big men who suck by not even trying. While he had good atheleticism for a 7 footer (why he got picked so high), he has hardly learned a thing in this league by age 30 and even seems to have regressed over the last couple of years. He really doesn't even try on the court, mentally or physically. Just watch him, you'll see.

His problem isn't so much he's a bad guy or a stupid guy. By most accounts I've read Kandiman is rather well spoken, smart, and even polite. The problem is that he never had much interest in basketball, he's just a tall British kid who got into it because 1. He's tall and 2. it pays well (in the NBA, and in terms of free college education. It's just a job that he doesn't like that much.

Does he suck any more than other backup/3rd string big men? Probably not, but if you don't want lazy in your locker room, you don't want the Kandiman on your team.

And by the way, his analytical stats scores have been rather terrible in recent years. So I kind doubt Mr. Morey's folks would be a fan of his.

At this point, I'd rather give young Haryasz a chance to show what he can do than signing Kandiman to a guaranteed contract and hoping he changes his ways.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He made KandiMan almost 'ok' as #1 pick. And you forgot him. :D

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mario Williams?

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Obviously, one game does not determine a career, but I was thinking the very same thing. If he doesn't make astounding improvements over the course of the season, it is going to get ugly in the media. While I would have taken Bush or VY over Williams, I am still hoping the Texans were right. If Williams never plays any better than he did Sunday, major embarassment.

Does anyone have any POSITIVE Rockets news, we need some bad, real bad.

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't think that's right. The clippers wouldn't pay him, so he went to the Timberwolves, who gave him a deal no larger than the MLE.

19. BaMcMing

Found the info here : nbasalaries.usatoday.com/

It shows one year with Twolves @ 16.2
    and
    the next year with the Celts @ 16.2

Bad Info???

20. BaMcMing

You're right

16.2 is total contract amount = 5.2 per year