1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OLD ARCADE GAME]Does anyone remember the name of this arcade game?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

If i recall, it was called Devil Ray or something like that. I don't remember much about it as I was maybe 6 years old and it was the mid 70's. It was a periscope game, and from what I remember, you had to harpoon manta Rays, but I've searched the web and can't find any mention of it.

I was just feeling nostalgic looking at some old video games and I wanted to find that particular game.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think you are talking about Sea Wolf.

3. Falcons Talon

I don't think it was the sub game. There were actually manta rays on the console and you had to harpoon the manta rays.

4. what

what Member

Seawolf?

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

6. Falcons Talon

No. It's not sea wolf. I remember that one. This game was pretty obscure obviously. I remember it because I think it was the first game I ever played.

7. Surfguy

8. Falcons Talon

9. what

what Member

Killer Shark, Sega, 1972

10. Surfguy

11. Falcons Talon

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It was SEA WOLF. :eek:

13. Falcons Talon

Sea Devil looked so much more ominous in the smoke filled dark 1970's arcade at the Amigoland Mall in Brownsville...The Land of Oz.

14. Surfguy

Man, the good old days of old style arcade games. Nowadays, you go into these arcades at the bowling places and...boy do I feel like an old-timer. They are all tricked out games eating up quarters and dollars like crazy. And, they are so technologically advanced you can't tell what is going on half the time. It's like "insert your bank account number to continue playing". I miss the good old days where I could go to the local 7-Eleven, insert a single quarter into a game like Stargate, and play the game for a couple of hours on one quarter. Or, whatever pinball machine they had where I could pop credits in that thing starting with one quarter and play for hours. Ah...those were the days.

15. Falcons Talon

Exactly. I would kill to find a console with Tempest. I would spend so much time at the old majestic theater instead of watching the movie. LOL. And if I run into Defender or Battlezone, I'm playing it.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I believe the name you are looking for is Birdie King.

boomboom likes this.
  17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

OP is old. :p

[​IMG]

circa 1966

OR:

[​IMG]

Guess who's back on IGNORE?

18. PhiSlammaJamma

The first arcade game I ever saw was in England as a kid, and it was some kind of depth charge game. I was too afraid to play. But whoa, that was awesome.

Game 2 was after my first console, and after pong, but it was in Florida and they called it space Invaders. I had no clue what I was doing, what joy stick was, or how to even read the instructions on how to to play.

I think the third game I ever saw was missle command. And god help me, there was a rolling ball. What the hell?

Probably the arcade game I was most comfortable playing was pac man, but I doubt I ever made it past the 3rd level at the Mark Twain Steamboat Funhouse.

I was enamored with Zaxon as it was a 3-D game. And just looked cool. But never played it. Donkey Kong was right next to it at the arcade. but that took too much timing for me to try.

I never understood my friends fascination with street fighter, but I would go with him to the arcade and watch him pound quarters.

I was never into Mortal Combat. So missed that era.

I saw Dragons Lair once or twice, and I did think that was pretty cool at the time.

Outrun to me was an evolution. 3-D driving. That was the one game I wanted for my first console, and I got it on intellivision eventually.

I saw Joust for my first and last time in a 7-11, and thought that looked like fun, but never played.

19. Surfguy

The first game I ever saw was a dot moving across the screen. lol

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Bro, go to Joysticks close to Minute Maid Park on the first or last Friday or Saturday and play all the old-school console games for like $20, all nite. I am sure they have Tempest!