1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh, What A Tangled Web We Weave...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Sep 6, 1999.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It seems like the Rockets and Jazz have a real war going on. The Jazz have the money to offer Anderson in a sign and trade but won't do it with Houston. Anderson can't get the playing time in Indiana, but Utah could make a deal with them and turn around and trade for Doug Christie...wait a minute, not so fast.

The Rockets supposedly have the inside track on Christie effectively blocking Utah's deal with them and forcing their hand with Indiana because they would hate to lose out on Anderson AND Christie.

On top of all that, Indiana won't give Anderson a guaranteed starting spot on the team (Larry Bird would NEVER agree to something like that!) and Anderson wants minutes.

Wow! Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the season!

2. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Man I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

3. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Wouldn't it be cool if we got Anderson AND Christie? Yeah baby!

------------------
    RKMAN
    "We'll give you all our talent, for all your scrubs!"
    -Magic GM

4. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Jeff!

How do the Rockets have the inside track to get Christie, I have not heard that from anyone so far. What do you know? Who would they give up to get him and is it better than what the Jazz can offer? Just curious what you know...

------------------
    Now the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets!
    At guard, #40 .........
    SHANDON ANDERSON!!!!!!!!

5. Booster

Booster Member

Jeff, What kind of deal are we offering that make us the front runners to get Christie?

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I just read kenny thomas and matt bullard for doug christie....wouldnt it be GREAT to just STICK it to the jazz, and get BOTH of these guys, leaving them with NOTHING...!!

7. thacabbage

go to bskball.com and then league rumors or houston...they got stuff on this there.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Is Christie out of contract soon????

9. FG147

FG147 New Member

It all sounds like a soapopra to me hehhehe........... but i hope at the end ANDERSON would come to houston Christie to INDIANA and utah well Utah will convert there compounds to a retirement home,

------------------
    "I always laugh when people ask me about rebounding techniques. I've got a technique. It's called just go get the damn ball."

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cabbage answered your questions I think about where I heard this. I guess Rudy and Carroll are learning a thing or two from Glen Grunwald - the art of trickery and deceit.

If you can't beat 'em...you know the rest.

11. thacabbage

Yes, Christie's contract expires after this season.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BTW: I think Christie is a fall back position for Houston. I think they want to get Anderson and are just using their leverage in the Toronto deal to force Utah's hand and Anderson's for that matter.

The Rockets, I'm sure, would rather have Anderson and Ervin Johnson. It is doubtful they can get both Anderson and Christie. It is one or the other, but the fact that they have a deal that is tempting to Toronto must have Utah nervous it would end up losing out on both the 2 guards they wanted in the first place.

I bet Houston is hoping Utah won't pull the trigger on an Anderson to Indiana deal for fear they might not be able to get Christie and just let Anderson go wherever he wants.

13. thacabbage

Question: How much would you pay to see the look on Jerry Sloan's face after he learned that the Anderson deal was looking unlikely, and that the Rockets were in the midst of acquiring Doug Christie. I have a feeling if this all goes down like I am hoping (Christie AND Anderson to Houston), the UTAH jazz franchise will be doomed forever.

14. thacabbage

OK Jeff, so if the Jazz CANT get Christie, then they wont be able to make the Anderson deal? Is that how this works?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The war with Utah has already started and the Rockets havent even suited up . In my eyes the most important part of the season for the Rockets is now , if they somehow pull off a deals and land Anderson , Mack , and E. Johnson then that makes Houston so much deeper and stronger . If we lose that then Utah could get Christie , Mckey , and Best . The next two weeks could be the biggest battle between Houston and Utah so far .

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cabbage:

I think so. Think of it this way:

If Utah trades Anderson and Houston goes in and nabs Christie, Utah is left with NO depth at the two and too much depth at the one. Utah is not known for its adventuresome spirit when it comes to trades. They are more likely to not pull the trigger than do a deal whereas Houston is VERY likely to make deals and Utah knows it.

I don't think Houston has any intention of attempting to get Anderson AND Christie. I think they'd prefer Anderson, but if Utah is hell-bent on sending him to Indiana and far away from the Rockets, I think the Rockets are prepared to steal away the guy Utah wants to fill the spot Anderson will leave vacated: Doug Christie.

It it all falls right for Houston, they will end up with Anderson AND Ervin Johnson and Utah will make a deal to get Christie from the Raptors. That would be the fairest deal for everybody, frankly. I wouldn't mind Utah getting Christie is Houston can land Anderson.

17. thacabbage

Ohh, ok, i get this thing better now. Ok, but look. It said that the Johnson deal was Maloney and Maclean for Johnson. And the Christie deal was Thomas and Bullard for Christie. Well technically, since those are two different guys in EACH trade, they could go in and nab Johnson, and then trade for Christie, knowing that he has a MUCH higher trade value than Bullard and Thomas and deal him for something.....do you see what I am getting at?

18. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Jeff,

This really surprise me regarding all this information via Bskball.com. As I posted in another thread. Is this information legit. I have not seen where Houston was even in the running for Doug Christie. I did not know that the Raptors wanted Bullard and Kenny Thomas. For some reason I would think the Rockets would have to include Sam Mack in that package to the Raptors in order to get Christie. What do you think??? How do the salaries work.

I did not know that we were talking with the Bucks for Earvin Johnson. Is he really that good defensively because I know he has no offensive game?? How do the salaries work between the players traded?

Secondly do you think the Rockets could have a team with Doug Christie and Shandon Anderson. If that were to happen would they have them just for this season? Or do you see them signing both of them to extended contracts?

------------------
    Houston now has a legit point guard... No seriously!!!

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited September 06, 1999).]

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

So you want to get rid of Maloney, Bull, Thomas and American pie for Johnson and Christie and then trade Christie for Anderson

20. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Now I know why Rudy t. gets so stressed out.