1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ognjen Askrabic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 12, 2002.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's a blurb from yesterday's ESPN Insider concerning Ognjen Askrabic, a 23 year old Yugoslavian free agent small forward. If a non-SF (like Stoudemire) falls to #15 and they don't feel they can pass him up, then Askrabic is a potential SF option.

<i>

Mavs creating more international intrigue

Call the Mavericks the international team of mystery. They already have the first player from China, a superstar from Germany, Canada's finest point guard, the pride of Mexico and a French guy who can't shoot.

Now Don Nelson and company are in Belgrade, Yugoslavia putting on basketball clinics and, just as important, keeping their eyes open for new talent.

Monday the team worked out forward Ognjen Askrabic, a 6-foot-9 sharp shooting, super athletic small forward who may be one of the few gems in this year's free-agent class. Askrabic went undrafted last year after he was injured shortly before the draft.

This season, while playing for FMP Zeleznik, Askrabic lit up Europe, averaging 15.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg and 2.9 assists while shooting an amazing 73 percent from the field.

One international scout told Insider that Askrabic would be a high lottery pick if he was in the draft this year.

"He's very athletic for his size and he's one of the best shooters in Europe. If the Mavs really get him this summer, it's the equivalent of getting a 23-year-old lottery pick in the draft. He'll be a serious contender for rookie of the year wherever he signs."

The Mavs won't be the only team after Askrabic, but they've done a good job cultivating a relationship with him the past year and are willing to give him a considerable portion of their mid-level exception. The Pistons, Spurs, Sixers, Lakers, Blazers and Bulls also figure to be in the mix.

Watch this Peja Stojakovic clone closely; there seems to be a formidable bidding war in the works.

The Mavs also took a look at 17-year-old phenom Darko Milicic, a 6-foot-11 center who international scouts are already calling the next great prospect from Europe.
    </i>

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If he was injured I can understand no one investing a first rounder last year, but if he's as good as they all say he is, why did no one take a second round flyer on the guy, ala Wang Zhizhi and Toni Kukoc? Strange.

Out of curiosity, does anyone wonder if Dan Langhi was in the Euro leagues if he would be called a Peja-clone also? Not a joke .... I just think every small forward that can shoot from there gets that label.

A team like the Rockets, with a real small forward slot available and a high-profile center-guard combo (that sounds cool), could be attractive. Too bad the Rockets can't focus on much else but Yao at the moment.

Thanks for passing along the info aelliott.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

aelliott -

Not sure if his arms are as long, but Askrabic is listed as the same height and weight as Kirilenko of the Jazz. Askrabic was also on the 1st place Yugoslav team at last years University Games but I could not find how he did statistically. At the UGames, China was second and the USA was 3rd. The US Team featured:

Ely Melvin –207-C-78
    Barron Earl –210-C-81
    Reed Justin –203-F-82
    Slay Tamar –204-G-80
    Dickau Daniel –183-G-78
    Holden Tahj –207-F-81
    Barbour Antwain –196-F-82
    Mason Roger –196-G/F-80
    Owens Chris –203-F-79
    Baxter Lonny –203-C-79
    Dixon Juan –191-G-78
    Greer Lynn –186-G-79

It does not appear that Askrabic plays on a EuroLeague team?

What do you know about Dejan Bodiroga? He appears to be more advanced than Askrabic and can also play SG. Both are thin by American standards.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think so since Langhi's range stops at the college 3 pt line plus he can't catch and shoot type like the Euros.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Gater,

Most of the stuff I could find about him was prior to the 2001 draft. Here's a couple of blurbs:

From NBA.Com :
    http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/ognjen_askrabic.html?nav=ArticleList
    <i>

According to telebasket.com, a good athlete with quick feet.

Has good shooting skills from perimeter, and is able to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

Has the wingspan of a much taller player, which helps him to be an active defender.

The J&J European Basketball Register praises his quickness for a man his size and says he is a team player who has shown a consistent performance.
    </i>

From NBADraft.net http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/ognjenaskrabic.htm

<i>
    Surprisingly went undrafted last draft. Long range bomber. One of the best shooters in the Yugoslav league and one of the best propects there. Very solid all-around talent. Has a great frame, long arms, plays defense well for a European, but still may struggle in the NBA. Shoots the ball well. Versitile player with athleticism and long arms. Plays with good intelligence. Passes well, a good jump shooter, must improve shot off the dribble. Passes the ball well. Very quick for his size. Good outside shooter and he can put the ball on the floor as well. Incredible wingspan, very long arms make him a decent defender. He must improve in moving his feet on the defensive end. He's consistent. The Mavs are interested in this guy.

</i>

Clutch,

I agree. He was a first round candidate prior to the 2001 draft, seems like even with a knee injury, he'd have been drafted.

6. TexasG

TexasG Member

There was a report on Askrabic in a Denver paper a few weeks ago. According to the report Askrabic has the Mavs as his first team of choice. Vlade Divac, and Nellie have said that his game is actually closer to Turkyglu's as oppose to Peja's. Hopefully the Mavs can get this guy signed soon.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

GATER,

I haven't looked for his stats, but he was the MVP of the University Games last year in China.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Screw the mavs, if this guy is that good, sign him up to be a Rocket....we need SF too, worse then the Mavs....

DaDakota

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the European craze is getting a little heavy-after guys like Dirk, Peja, Hedo, Gasol, Kirilenko, Tony Parker, etc. were picked up as bargains, teams are starting to go crazy in search of the next overseas bargain. Odds are, there will be a lot more hype concerning them. It just doesn't make sense. Unless teams just totally missed his talent, he would've at least made it into round 2, even if he wasn't going to play in the NBA for 3 years.

His CNNSI.com profile says- A good athlete with decent shooting range who could sneak into the second round.

I found a site from 2001 talking about the Global Games, here's some excerpts Yugoslavia’s Ognjen Askrabic scored 31 points on twelve of 16 shooting and grabbed eleven rebounds to led his team to the gold medal of the Global Games. Askrabic displayed no side effects from the knee injury he suffered against Team USA/Texas earlier in the week and NBA scouts were raving about his game. It was the third double-double of the tournament for Askrabic and earlier in the week, Askrabic had the first triple-double in Global Games history.

Yugoslavia defeated Puerto Rico 97-77 as Ognjen Askrabic recorded the first ever triple double in Global Games history. Askrabic had 25 points, 16 rebounds and eleven assists

Link

CBS Sportline's Dan Wetzel has a mock from June 4, 23 days before the 2001 NBA draft. He has Askrabic going 42 because he's "Another big European with impressive outside touch, scouts say." It's kind of cool look at the mock-just over 3 weeks away from it, and some had Griffin going #1.

It doesn't appear we're in the running anyway, though.

10. shakespeare

shakespeare Member

Aren't the operative words here "free agent?" That means Askrabic can't be drafted, right? So, any team can make a deal with him. By the way, I seem to remember reading somewhere (I believe on nbadraft.net) that Mirsad Turcan is in the same boat. I think the article said something about him being the European League MVP.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DoD -
    I'm no Euro expert, but I looked at the Yugoslavs roster and I did not recognize so much as one other name. If what you say is true, that is impressive. This guy easily looks like a sure second rounder for any team needing SF help.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I vote the Mavs as the 1st team to roll out a team without and
    american on it.

Rocket River

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

You are correct sir. He went undrafted in last year's draft due to a knee injury so therefore he is an Unrestricted Free Agent. All the reports you guys are reading about him going in the second round were reports from last year. Here's a link with his stats. If you roam around on this site a little it has links to stats on every player on the Yugo team.

http://www.eurobasket.com/YUGplayer.asp?PlayerID=28674

14. TexasG

TexasG Member

I also vote that the Mavs can win the title this year ... if they were playing soccer.

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

bless you