1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officials were NOT allowed to said "radical islamic" under Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Seek professional help.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Thank you for your explanation. I don't really agree with it but I did ask and did receive.

I get what you are saying but I really think you are blowing this out of proportion. Leave political affiliation out of it and look at it from a logical point of view. Your username is No Worries, stop worrying lol.

So you are telling me the reason why Muslims are offended by the phrase 'radical Islamic terrorism' is because people who are far right and socially conservative hear the term and think "all Muslims are terrorists and trying to kill my family"?

I'm sure there are a few like that but to lump all into that category is unfair. Given how many there are that identifies themselves as that affiliation (far right, social conservatives), I doubt it is a majority of people in that group who think that way. Maybe I'm lucky but none of the ones I have met have ever conveyed anything of the nature of towards me (and I live in Texas so there are quite a lot of people in that group that I do associate with). Also I'm sure the few who think like that out there would probably continue to think that way regardless of what the Obama administration called it.

Doesn't even sound logical to me to believe that people of a specific political affiliation (in which there are a lot of people in this country who identify with) just jump to such an extreme conclusion. I get that you are afraid of this outcome but it really seems like an irrational fear to me.

How exactly did you come to this conclusion about 'far right, social conservatives'? Are there any surveys or scientific reasons to link people with a specific political affiliation to believe in this manner?

As I mentioned, the word "radical" is a differentiator in the statement and many people from Muslim countries should be (the ones I know at least already are) very well aware of their threat (because as I mentioned in my previous post, these guys are bombing/killing in predominantly Muslim countries on a daily basis).

I feel like the issue raised by conservatives (as well as some non-conservatives) on the Obama administration refusing to utter the phrase 'radical Islamic terrorism' was the reasoning. That reasoning being to not offend Muslims. But you are telling me that an irrational fear of a large group of this country (far right, social conservatives) going crazy when the statement is said is the reason Muslims are offended by the statement? Honestly, still not making sense to me lol. Head spinning.

The fact is, this is the enemy we are fighting. It may not be convenient for people like us (who come from predominantly Muslim countries) but it is the situation at hand.

I didn't really agree with the travel ban only because it affected people who are legally living/working in this country but I do understand it. But really think to call it an "attack on Islam" is once again another extreme conclusion.

The 7 countries were identified as regions of potential threat by the government prior and already had scrutinization on the issuance of visas by the Obama administration. It is countries in which ISIS is most active plus Iran. This ban is (now was) a temporary three-month ban until this administration can get a feel for the current vetting process and make improvements where necessary. It doesn't seem illogical or an attack on Islam (doesn't even affect most Muslims, also it affects non-Muslims as well who are from those countries as well as in some cases non-Muslims who have travelled to those countries).

Looking at it, it makes complete sense even though I am not really for it (because it does affect people who are legally living here) and was glad it got stuck down by the courts (once again for that particular reason).

Furthermore in 2016 alone, the Obama administration dropped bombs on 5 of those countries (and dropped bombs on two more predominantly muslim countries in Pakistan/Afghanistan). If the travel ban is an attack on Islam, then what does that make the 25k+ bombs dropped by our country last year? But the reason why we dropped those bombs was because that is where our enemies are located. Which is the same reason this temporary travel ban was instituted by the new administration (as well as the reason of the visa scrutinization already in place before Trump even got there). Why exactly is Trump's action an "attack" but the actions taken by Obama "not"? Because Obama refused to use the words "radical Islamic terrorism"? How does that make sense? Just writing it out on this forum and I'm not even understanding what it is that I am writing...

Didn't even vote for Trump (grudgingly voted Clinton, was actually a Sanders supporter) but really feel like people are taking this to an extreme and blowing it out of proportion. Fighting at every action isn't going to help the country at all, we need to unify not divide even further. He is the president of this country and we need for him to succeed (especially on this particular issue) because if he does not, we are all pretty screwed. Tbh, it actually energizes his base (which is already roughly half the country) and possibly even even helps his base grow as it makes the other side look bad/crazy.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hello? Hello? Self-awareness calling! Is anyone there?

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is the subtext of the conservative dogmatic narratives (aka political talking points). You can hear it Fox News and conservative talk radio.

The people who listen to Fox News et al also believe that Obama was not born a US citizen and is a secret Muslim. Polls show that 25% of the people believe these easily proved wrong "facts".

This 25% hate Obama and would embrace almost anything, fact or fiction, that would further that believe.

Fox News et al feed into the Obama hate narrative by criticizing Obama when he targeted religious extremists as enemies of the state. Fox News et al wanted Obama to signal out Muslims and by not doing so implied that he was weak.

Obama of course did not do that since that would turn into ISIS recruiting material. Trump on the other hand did not care.

Obama also repeatedly stated in public that the US was not declaring war on Islam. ISIS wants their cause to turn into a war on Islam and to drag more Muslims into the conflict. Obama did not want to do their work for them. Trump The Idiot does not care.

BTW that 90 day ban could easily turn into a permanent ban, right? The stated purpose of the ban is complete bullshit. The immigration policies are thorough. Trump does not understand them but that has not stopped him from questioning them.

This gets at a larger problem. Trump does not have a very deep understanding of how the government works. He is good at giving speeches to his lightly educated followers. If policies sound good in speeches, he runs with it. Mexico paying for the wall, anyone?