1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Week 3 Texans @ Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 19, 2017.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Whether it's a 1 point lead or an 8 point lead, Brady is marching down that field for the win or tie. Texans needed a TD on that drive to make it a 2 possession game.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe already mentioned...

Clowney became the 3rd player in Texans history with 2 sacks and a fumble TD-return, same game.

The other two...

Watt and
    Mario

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

After a night of cooling off, some final thoughts:

1. We may have something in Watson. He's seemingly getting more confident each play and it's sure fun to watch. He's still going to make the rookie mistakes but have to be happy with what we've seen so far.

2. Not sure how good the NE pass rush is is but the OL held their own for the most part. Hopefully the guys upfront are getting a better feel for each other but will have a big test against Tennessee this week.

3. Other than Kareem or JJo delivering a big hit every now and then, the secondary is just bad. The Cook pass at the end was Brady at his finest but 2 TDs in blown coverage, dropped INT, penalties, etc...Regardless of how you felt about Bouye, you can't let 2 starters walk like Rick did and not expect a drop off. Pretty crazy that you're having to sign guys off the street a few days before to start against Tom Brady while your handpicked draft picks like Decoud are barely listed on the depth chart

4. BoB has to find ways to get Foreman more involved. He didn't run the ball particularly well yesterday but you have to give Watson all the weapons you can going forward.

5. If the season goes as projected, I don't see how BoB coming back and I'd be okay with that. That's a big turnaround for me as I liked BoB and think he got more out of the roster than a lot of coaches would have. With that said, he continues to shoot himself in the foot time after time and the same mistakes he made in year 1 are being made in year 4. Sure, he was a dropped INT from beating the Super Bowl champs at home, but the challenge, 3 and 1 call, and clock management at the end all could've changed the game and solely his responsibility.

With all this said, 1-2 was probably where a lot of folks thought we'd be just switching the Jags/Bengals loss. But this Titans game is absolute must win.

Fullcourt likes this.
  4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brutal. It was nice to have a competitive game though and I actually suckered myself into thinking they could win but when Patriots had the ball with the opportunity to drive and get a TD you couldn't help but think they were going to do it.

I wished they would have blitz Brady more in that final drive. They did once and caused an incompletion. When you start to play more of a prevent style of defense Brady will pick you apart.

Watson was a blast to watch, but he can't keep playing houdini for an entire season. That line has to get better.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, if handled properly they could have had one more play to get into the kicker's range with a chance to tie it up. Instead BOB showed that he's a terrible coach. Would have been an even better story if they were able to force OT

juanm34 likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watt still sack-less.

He's only had one other career stretch of 3 consecutive games without one.

8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

CBS didn't show the replay but I could swear I saw Watson signaling for a timeout around 11 seconds, then again around 8 seconds... Those refs paid observers were horrible.

juanm34 and Nimo like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's all about opponent.
    Pretty much any other team, fine, go for the field goal.
    Tom Brady, I'm not faulting Billy if they go for it and don't get it... UNLESS it's a dumb-ass play call again.

juanm34 and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. JayZ750

I feel pretty confident that Watson was signaling for a TO to his coach in a "should I call a TO" kind of way. Not to the refs.
    I don't think the refs just call TO whenever any player makes the TO symbol randomly.
    Player has to make TO symbol, call TO to the ref, etc.
    The fact they didn't retroactively go back and add seconds to the clock supports this.
    The actual TO wasn't called until the time had passed.

Or... it's a conspiracy!! Lol.

Let's be honest, the NFL would be VERY VERY happy to have Deshaun Watson win the game and be another young star to market.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, leading by 5 is the same as trailing when you are going up against the Patriots at their house. I think you either test the middle of their defense with a Foreman run with the FB leading the way or you fake that and have Watson run for it.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Looked back at it and only saw him signaling for the spike. They cut to Hopkins so Watson could've called it then but so much time had already ran. But the radio call was the same as they were yelling there is no time for a spike.

Regardless, BoB should've been all over that . Horrible clock management.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

1. I thought about this being a possibility, but idk the whole deal just seems very patriots shenanigans...

2. True, but not against the pats. They were happy enough to see Deshaun light it up bc win/lose he is already a young star to market. ESPN and NFL network and the rest of the sports media has definitely taken note of that.

14. showa13

showa13 Member

That’s what I thought they were going to do, and that’s what I would’ve done cause I fully trust Deshaun to go get that yard they needed at this point

smitheygerard likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With the threat of a Foreman run up the middle with Prosch leading the way, or even a Prosch run up the middle, I don't think they could hang back and look for Watson to scramble, so yeah, I think it would have been successful.

16. JayZ750

Right, it had nothing to do with the points. Had the Texans made a first down, it isn't about going for a td at that point. It's just run play, run play, run play. I mean obviously a TD would ice it, but it was all about milking the clock.

Also, bear in mind, they had 2 timeouts at that point.

Even if ultimately the decision was to kick the FG, I think THAT is the time to take a timeout, really think over your options, and make a calm, informed decision.

Did they want to save TOs in case they needed them? Sure, but that was the game there. Instead they called a TO on the next defensive possession ... and I think the Pats immediately torched them the very next play. And then bungled the final timeout.

Whatever, it's in the past.

Here's random question: Tom Brady's pick 6 wasn't actually a pick 6 but a fumble return??

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

If they could have just made one more first down they could have run off much of the clock and made the Patriots use time outs. It would have been much more difficult for the Patriots to go the length of the field with so little time. Damn.

marks0223 likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, it was ruled a fumble, but you can bet if it hit the ground they'd have called it an incomplete pass. That's just part of playing in Foxborough.

19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

That annoyed me so much... It was clearly a forward pass. If Clowney doesn't catch that it's incomplete. Brady: 5 TDs 0 INTs... Right

20. JayZ750

Just watched the highlight of it. Seems like a forward pass no question.

Not only would it have been ruled an incomplete pass if not caught, if it was caught by a Patriot for yardage, it clearly would have counted as a pass and catch, not a fumble recovery by their own team.

Dumb