1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 22, 2017.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Bingo!!

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As bad as the fall apart was in 2015, here are some important points:
    1) 2015 was an epic collapse and the Astros still made the playoffs.
    2) The Astros were closer than any other team in knocking out the eventual WS champs.
    3) The Astros in 2015 played about 10-15 games above their heads in 2015 early in the season instead of about 3-4 this year.
    4) 2015, Astros depended on trade deadline to get players to make a great team only to get a couple of lemons. This year, we project to be as strong as we were projected after the deadline in 2015. I expect Astros get a TOR SP at deadline (though cheaper than most expect) and will be projected to be even stronger.
    5) If Astros fall apart between now and the deadline, the projections, fans, and front office are probably wrong about this team, and the front office probably should not waste too many resources on this team.
    6) And this one is a shout out to @MadMax, the Astros won more AL playoff games in 2015 than the Rangers have since the Astros have been an AL team.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not bipolar.... just proving the point that you wouldn't admit it.

Fact is, the recent 2-4 struggle hasn't produced much of any "nuclear-ness" on this board.

Are you really so upset/angry about the ONE thread regarding Springer's leading off? LOL. Yeah, my world is bipolar.

5. Major

Major Member

I agree with all that, but I'm not sure the relevance? Yes, we are better this year, but we also have higher aspirations. Regardless of anything else, the bullpen collapse in 2015 cost them the division and the series against KC in multiple ways. Beyond the game 4 collapse, it also forced us into a WC game, which prevented Keuchel from pitching 2 out of 5 games in the ALDS.

The point is not comparing the teams - it's that a bullpen collapse can derail a season. We have no idea *why* the bullpen collapsed in 2015, but we do generally know that overuse is probably a bad thing. And this team, because of it's SP issues, is likely to use its bullpen a lot. You can't undo bullpen usage, so once you know your bullpen is fatigued, it's too late to do anything about it. The issue is not whether they collapse between now and the deadline - it's whether the usage now to the deadline causes a problem to their championship aspirations down the line in September or October.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros collapse due to bullpen faltering, there is a lot else going wrong.

Astros have one of the deepest pens and have added Feliz, Hoyt, Giles, and Devenski since 2015. Hinch has been alternating guys well such that only Devenski is being use a lot. Devenski was spectacular in 100 innings last year. Harris is next in usage and he's 70th among relievers. Devenski will probably get a lot more rest when Astros start losing, Astros add a SP to eat some innings, and Astros pull away enough to rest him. If those things don't happen, something else is wrong with team.

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What do you call a fan who only supports the team when they're good?

I guess I could say fair-weather... Houston is predominantly like that. Which is not a bad thing... because the support is quite healthy when they're good (excluding the NFL, of course, which is apparently suck-proof).

T for 3 likes this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

crazy that Aoki leads league in assists, wouldn't have thought that

10. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

They keep testing Aoki and he keeps getting them !!!!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When you think those are the only two acceptable options, that's a problem.

I said it would get nuclear if they ended up going 1-9... or 5-15 (like the Cubs did last year).

12. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Is Aoki's arm considered weak? Didn't seem close at all.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That's one of the dumbest windmills at 3rd I've ever seen. They must have 2015 Pettis manning the station

mick fry likes this.
  14. AUstrofan

AUstrofan Member

Got to love Cabrera.

15. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

lols he said piss chart

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I guess leaving runners on base a lot means you have a good offense, but when it rains it pours with these guys....

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Subpar outfielders tend to get tested more. They get more opportunities.

18. Buck Turgidson

Does Stanton ever stop talking? Someone should tell him he's not getting paid by the word.

O/U on times tonight he says "Sorry" after he cuts off Staats mid-sentence? 1.5

T for 3 likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I didn't say either was acceptable.

Just asked you to pick one.

Good job of making it complicated.... and proving my point.

Really, all you needed to say was, "of course I'd take winning, but I'd rather not have the drama".

You couldn't even say that. WEAK SAUCE

You claimed there was panic. There really isn't any.