1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What I miss??

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Traded for Tee Higgins?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. raining threes

If you're talking about winning championships, good luck with that. If you want to talgate hangout and watch some football then Janice and Hannah are glad to have you back. The stadium will be full on Sunday, so good luck with that.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I wouldn’t call it luck, limp wrist

Sooty likes this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

HOUSTON TEXANS

Well that went well. Houston gets the opportunity to build off of a division winning season with 4 more years of rookie contract control with QB C.J. Stroud. The Texans have been operating with 1-year contracts across the roster for the better part of 3 years now, leaving them with dozens of decisions every winter. That trend remains in 2024, where 24 notable Texans are currently headed toward unrestricted free agency. Houston hits the winter with around $75M of Top 51 cap space to operate with.

NOTABLE PENDING UFAS

QUARTERBACK
    Bubble: Davis Mills

RUNNING BACK
    Devin Singletary, Dare Ogunbowale
    Bubble: Andrew Beck (FB)

WIDE RECEIVERS
    Noah Brown

TIGHT ENDS
    Dalton Schultz

OFFENSIVE LINE
    Michael Deiter, George Fant, Josh Jones, Charlie Heck

DEFENSIVE LINE
    Sheldon Rankins, Teair Tart, Hassan Ridgeway

EDGE DEFENDERS
    Derek Barnett, Jonathan Greenard, Jerry Hughes

LINEBACKERS
    Neville Hewitt, Denzel Perryman

SECONDARY
    Tavierre Thomas (CB), Steven Nelson (CB), Adrian Amos (S), Kareem Jackson (S), Eric Murray (S)

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Ka'imi Fairbairn (K), Cameron Johnston (P), Jon Weeks (LS)

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES
    • Process a full base salary conversion on WR Robert Woods, freeing up $4M of cap when factoring in 4 void years.
    • Extend TE Dalton Schultz, stopping his $3.375M of voided dead cap from accelerating into 2024, lowering his overall cap hit. Schultz projects toward a 3 year, $34M contract in our system.
    • Process a full base salary conversion on OT Laremy Tunsil, freeing up $13.4M of cap when factoring in 2 void years.
    • Process a full base salary conversion on OL Tytus Howard, freeing up $10.3M of cap when factoring in 2 void years.
    • Process a full base salary conversion on OL Shaq Mason, freeing up $6.4M of cap when factoring in 2 void years.
    • Process a full base salary conversion on DT Maliek Collins, freeing up $5.4M of cap when factoring in 3 void years.
    • Extend DT Sheldon Rankins, stopping his $5.25M of voided dead cap from accelerating into 2024, lowering his overall cap hit for 2024. Rankins projects toward a 3 year, $30M contract in our system.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Goodness gracious!

Texans were the toast of the draft after trading up to #3 and snagging Will along with CJ. It was great to hear people talk about them so much.

CJ then proceeds to blow away everyone's expectations in becoming the best rookie QB in history.

The Texans finish 10-7 and win the division in an exciting, down to the wire fashion in Indy.

Wild card weekend, they again grab the national spotlight by destroying the Browns. The legend of CJ continues growing. We'll see what happens in Baltimore.

In 2024, it seems like they have a great opportunity to steal the show again, this time in free agency. By now, the talking heads at ESPN and elsewhere should be well-accustomed to praising a Houston franchise after trying to cancel them last year.

Good times for Texans fans.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nothing seems better than the disrespect once again shown to the Texans as they face the UNBEATABLE RAVENS who they have already penciled into the Superbowl using a permanent marker.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm, that seems weird that he would be traded again like that

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So conceivably the Texans could free up around 100Ms of cap space?

We still worried about signing our own AND shopping for elite players in that scenario? We need to go for it in the next two years or so and this lines up beautifully with a win now squad.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Yea, that's a red flag for me, I have no clue about him but what I don't want is any player who is even a little bit of a diva.

raining threes, Qan and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. Qan

Qan Member

What happened to him anyways? Last I heard he was mentioned as MVP...then things fell apart.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Could be a million different factors - but Hurts doesn't strike me as a consistently good passer/decisionmaker - and for a WR who - at least in his mind - is continually open, that can be *really* frustrating.

Again, no personal insight - but I can imagine riffs happen often when very good WRs are paired with lesser QBs.

raining threes likes this.
  16. raining threes

Pay Collins and draft a WR or add a guy like Ridley at far less money in FA without the Diva attitude. I want a WR group where they dont get pissed off when the QB spreads the ball around instead of forcing the ball to one WR who complains if he doesn't get enough targets.

We've been through this with the Sexual Predator and Hopkins.

everyday eddie, cmoak1982 and Blatz like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

"I was open!" hits a bit differently when the QB is throwing it to another open WR versus not seeing you, or throwing into coverage, or not throwing it at all and taking a sack, etc...

cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I saw that Cowboys game and there was something similar going on with CeeDee and Padstat. Like Mike went over to have a word with CreDee. A few plays later Dak tries to force it into CeeDee and it gets picked.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

20. Buck Turgidson

Somewhere there has to be a compilation of Ridley's highlights versus the Texans, 1st game.

I'm pretty sure the ball hit his chest + ground more than it hit his hands

astros123 likes this.