1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

According to the Chronic, the Texans want a 3rd rounder for Sage but the Vikings are only willing to give us a 3rd rounder.

Hope that helps.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

taylor would start; he'd be the best back on the roster by a long shot. chester taylor is a quality NFL running back - he's just stuck behind an NFL running back with more quality.

and though i don't think he's worth it personally, i'd hold out for a 2 if you're going to use rosenfels to acquire picks. they really need to jump back into the second round this year - too much talent on the board for them to sit it out.

3. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

Texans want a 2ND rounder and vikes want to give a 3RD

4. Major

Major Member

If Sage were some other team's backup, is there anyone on this board that would trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder for him to be our backup QB? If the Vikings are willing to give the Texans a third round pick for a backup QB, the Texans should jump on that. They can easily go sign any number of random backup QBs.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Sage's cap friendly contract would enhance his value, but I don't think the Texans would be able to get a 2nd round pick out of anybody. I would love it if the Dolphins gave us the top pick in the 3rd for him. I like how the Texans have conducted their business so far this off-season.

6. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Texans want a second, or possible 3rd and 6th.

7. Major

Major Member

Yeah - but I think its ridiculous. We wouldn't trade our 2nd round pick for Sage Rosenfels if he was on another team - why would they? If the Texans can get a 3rd round pick, they should be thrilled.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is this before or after Schaub goes down?

I read somewhere that the Falcons traded their backup QB for more than a 3rd.

9. Major

Major Member

Yes, but the team that they were trading with was trading FOR a long-term starter - and one that was in high demand. Sage Rosenfels is a career backup, and I don't think the Vikings or anyone else expects anything more out of him.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The nice thing about the Quinn signing is that it takes away options at quarterback for a lot of teams. A relatively young vet like Sage who has had success in the NFL would be a nice stopgap for a number of teams who are grooming quarterbacks, or have depth issues. Minnesota showed interest and I imagine teams like Oakland, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City, Chicago and Carolina would have interest. I just like that the Texans are giving themselves plenty options for the upcoming draft.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

would you use a 3rd round pick to draft a back-up QB (assuming you're NOT charley casserly)? of course not. so why were the vikings (reportedly) offering their third round pick?

seems pretty obvious - especially given the continued presence of tavarius jackson - that the vikings think rosenfels can start. given that you just dealt 2 2s and a swap down in round 1 for your career back-up... i don't begrudge the texans one bit for holding out on rosenfels. it's win-win. gather additional picks or enter the '08 season with one of the NFL's better back-up QBs on your roster.

they have no reason to settle, nor any deterent to not ask for the moon.

12. amorephd

amorephd Member

...it seems as if the Texans are now turning their attention to the secondary...

[FOX 26] Texans Meet with Broncos' Ferguson

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.2.1

The Houston Texans will meet with free agent safety Nick Ferguson Tuesday and Wednesday.

Ferguson started 33 games for Denver the past three seasons including all 16 in 2005 when he had a career high 5 interceptions.

...amorephd...

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Say it aint so!

Original Texan Steve McKinney released today

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5647108.html

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Steve McKinney, an original Texan who was the first unrestricted free agent signed by the 2002 expansion team, was released today by the Texans.

McKinney, 32, has been rehabilitating a knee injury that required reconstructive surgery and cost him half of last season.

When the Texans traded for Denver's Chris Myers last week, McKinney became expendable.

However, the door is open for McKinney to return when he's healthy.

McKinney is expected back for the start of the training camp.

"It caught me off guard, but they left the door open for me to return," McKinney said. "I owe it to myself to test the market, but, truthfully, I'd like to come back here."

"They told me that I just make too much money ($1.6 million this year) to be a backup," McKinney said. "They told me they didn't want to ask me to take a pay cut, and they wanted to give me an opportunity to look around to see if I could get the same kind of money somewhere else."

"Right now, I'm letting it all soak in, and I'm trying to digest everything. I'm going to see what's out there, but, hopefully, I'll have a chance to come back."

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

^^^^^^

Makes sense. The trade for Myers kind of put the writing on the wall. But he'll be back in camp, assuming he doesn't get a better offer from another team.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh...

I get why they did it, but McKinney has been our only good center. I know they have seem hell bent on replacing him, but I hope he ends up back on the roster because I have no faith in any FA to work out.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They already have replaced him. Chris Myers...who started every game for Denver last year and knows the blocking scheme pretty well.

I'd like to have him back, too. At the worst, he's a great insurance policy. He can double at guard should Pitts go down, too.

17. justtxyank

Right, but didn't I just say I don't have confidence in a FA working out? They "replaced" him with Flanagan as well.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Technically we traded for Myers. But even if, Myers isn't some random FA who has been a backup for other teams, he's been a starter for a team who has been known in having stellar offensive lines. Myers is a big time pickup for this team

19. justtxyank

And Flanagan was a top FA C that Favre pitched a fit about losing.

I'm glad they got Myers and I understand why they cut McKinney, but I hope he comes back as insurance because I don't have confidence in Myers working out.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

There are significant differences between the Myers pickup and the Flanagan pickup from last year.

Flanagan was a Sherman pick up from Green Bay's style of running. Myers is a Gibbs/Kubiak pick up from the Broncos' style of running. Myers knows the system better entering his first year as a Texan than did Flanagan.

Flanagan is old and was on the decline as far as his productivity. Myers is young and was set to replace Nalen on the Denver O-line. Denver wanted to keep him, but the owner is known for not handling it's own free agents very well.

Basically, Flanagan is old and declining from a different system than the Texans are trying to put in, and Myers is young and improving from the same system that the Texans are trying to put in.

While I agree that McKinney should still be on the team for depth, I wouldn't base the Myers signing off of the Flanagan signing.